What happened to the immigration thread?

Ugh.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: What happened to the immigration thread?

Post by Shirley »

Thanks, Senator Schumer!

The ball is in your court, Republicans.

@SenSchumer 1hr

The bipartisan border bill:
Reforms asylum
Boosts staffing at the border
Stops the flow of drugs like fentanyl
Gives emergency powers to shut the border

These are all issues the GOP have said we must address—I’m putting it back on the floor.

1/26/24

Members on both sides of the aisle are upset with Trump’s attempt to kill the border deal to deny President Biden a legislative win. His recent remarks calling for GOP members to oppose a border deal that isn’t H.R. 2 have complicated things for the Senate.

Republican Sen. Thom Tillis (R-N.C.) argued it is “immoral” for Republicans to reject a border deal to help former President Trump.

“I didn’t come here to have the president as a boss or a candidate as a boss. I came here to pass good, solid policy,” Tillis said Thursday, first reported by NBC News. “It is immoral for me to think you looked the other way because you think this is the linchpin for President Trump to win.”

Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah) called the effort to kill the bill “appalling.” Romney argued that there is an issue at the southern border and anyone running for president should be attempting to solve it now — instead of solving it later and taking credit for it down the road.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

54% drop in migrant crossings
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 7:42 am 54% drop in migrant crossings
I wish I was (only) joking, but - today's migrant staying in Central America is tomorrow's migrant in a caravan that has an ETA of about October 20.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I am so glad the republicans understand that climate change is driving population evacuations. Only they understand that you need to put a lid on the pot to keep the lobsters from jumping out. Fixes everything.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Biden poised to do more Trump things about immigration

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/06/0 ... y-00161176

Dunno what this gains him, especially when “it’s unclear how successful the proposed executive order will be, operationally or politically”
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

This is an example of the consequences of the Overton window shifting to the right because the right side of our politics has gone stark raving mad.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

^^^^

quite literally, ALL of the political ads in utah focus on the border, with china playing a distant second

quite frankly, i’m sure Biden feels like he must do something since his legislative effort was stymied

not sure how trumpy the move is, since there are near zero details available, but color me shocked that’s the narrative of some
Last edited by KUTradition on Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I suppose.

I still don’t understand why Biden would pander to a stark raving mad right when it’s not like he’s gonna pick up any votes from them
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:37 am I suppose.

I still don’t understand why Biden would pander to a stark raving mad right when it’s not like he’s gonna pick up any votes from them
He's not pandering to a stark raving mad right.

The issue is that a stark raving mad right is pulling all of our politics, including the middle two quartiles of our politics, to the right.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:41 am
ousdahl wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:37 am I suppose.

He's not pandering to a stark raving mad right.

The issue is that a stark raving mad right is pulling all of our politics, including the middle two quartiles of our politics, to the right.
^^^

What was once the idiot fringe is now the Republican mainstream. Or,

"What were once vices, are now habits."
Last edited by Shirley on Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anand Giridharadas
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:11 am Biden poised to do more Trump things about immigration

Dunno what this gains him, especially when “it’s unclear how successful the proposed executive order will be, operationally or politically”
It's only "Trump things about immigration" if you believe the stupidity that Biden wants open borders while Trump wants closed borders. Wanting issues at the border addressed isn't exclusive to the far right. Everyone should want better policies that allow us to deal with that situation. I certainly do and I am about as far from far right as it gets.

Biden is doing what any President should do which is to try to figure out how to better manage the flow of people who want to come to our country because the opportunities and safety are better here than where they are. There will be some on the left that whine about it but some people whine about everything so who cares. Some far left voter isn't going to move their vote from Biden to Trump over this.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:40 am
ousdahl wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:11 am Biden poised to do more Trump things about immigration

It's only "Trump things about immigration" if you believe the stupidity that Biden wants open borders while Trump wants closed borders. Wanting issues at the border addressed isn't exclusive to the far right. Everyone should want better policies that allow us to deal with that situation. I certainly do and I am about as far from far right as it gets.

Biden is doing what any President should do which is to try to figure out how to better manage the flow of people who want to come to our country because the opportunities and safety are better here than where they are. There will be some on the left that whine about it but some people whine about everything so who cares. Some far left voter isn't going to move their vote from Biden to Trump over this.
I agree with that.

I would strongly prefer we do these sorts of things by legislation, rather than executive action. But an endless cycle of GOP Tantrum of the Week* is complicating things.

* This week's theme, being Tenth Amendment States-Rights Heroes Have Opinions About State Court Proceedings, is a doozy.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

The “Trump things about immigration” is Biden using the same federal code that Trump used to “shape the immigration system.”

I think one of those shapes was his “ban” of mooslims.

Now Biden is now potentially using it to “shut down” the southern border.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Like I said, on this issue (like most others), I would strongly prefer legislation to executive action.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Do I have this correctly?

Last week a faction of the Israeli government came up with a cease fire plan, didn't inform the rest of the government, and forwarded it to Biden. Friday, Biden agreed to it and announced that he did. Immediately, Bibi's right wing freaked out and now threatens to drop their support for him, meaning his government will fall, (and he'll finally go on trial and then to jail). Now, Bibi announces that Biden got it wrong, and he doesn't agree with the plan.

The Biden Admin responds: It was Israel's plan, Bibi.
Anand Giridharadas
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:48 am The “Trump things about immigration” is Biden using the same federal code that Trump used to “shape the immigration system.”

I think one of those shapes was his “ban” of mooslims.

Now Biden is now potentially using it to “shut down” the southern border.
A President SHOULD be able to shut down the border at times if he feels it necessary, shouldn't he? All this does is give him the ability to if needed. Much to do about nothing at this point.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:29 pm Like I said, on this issue (like most others), I would strongly prefer legislation to executive action.
And I would strongly prefer legislators who are competent and want to work towards making improvements to this nation and not MAGA morons but here we are.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:05 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:29 pm Like I said, on this issue (like most others), I would strongly prefer legislation to executive action.
And I would strongly prefer legislators who are competent and want to work towards making improvements to this nation and not MAGA morons but here we are.
Right.

But this is the whole thing - refuse (in bad faith) to legislate, and then attack Biden for acting unilaterally.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »