F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
TDub
Contributor

Re: F the NCAA

Post by TDub »

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... s-analysis

we can argue all we want but, college athletics is dead. R.I.P

It will never be the same, it will never hold the same place in society and it will never capture the same joy as it once did. One shining moment has past and left a rusting stain.

If I was interested in watching professional sports or the g league I would do so. I have a really hard time seeing how my interest and fandom can remain at the same level it was for 40 some odd years. I will always track the Jayhawks but my live and die, eat and breathe I think it's over. It was waning as this era morphed anyway, this latest stuff is just the death knell. Sad days.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

guess I'll have to start following high school sports now more....and not the special ones that sre just college athlete factories.....the real ones.
Just Ledoux it
hoopla

Post by hoopla »

But high school sports are regularly uncompetitive and often of very low quality. But it’ll be cheaper for you to go to the games…. I can’t get on board for HS sports myself, but I agree w/ your assessment of college. I’ll fill the void with more bike rides or hikes or something.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I’ll probably just skip all games that start after 8 pm and all games on ESPN plus and any game that might disrupt my Saturday plans.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

TDub wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:23 pm guess I'll have to start following high school sports now more....and not the special ones that sre just college athlete factories.....the real ones.
Going to get harder to weed out the "real ones".
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

hoopla wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:34 am But high school sports are regularly uncompetitive and often of very low quality. But it’ll be cheaper for you to go to the games…. I can’t get on board for HS sports myself, but I agree w/ your assessment of college. I’ll fill the void with more bike rides or hikes or something.
I sincerely feel bad for you if you truly feel/believe what you posted about HS sports.
I sincerely feel good for you if you choose to take more bike rides and hikes over watching college sports.

I don't know about majorities and minorities but I find High School sports to be extremely competitive and of high quality.
Heck, my buddy's son plays Lacrosse. I watched highlights of a PHENOMENAL game Friday night in which his team came back from a 6-4 half time deficit and scored the go ahead goal with 32 seconds left to send them to the Super Sectional (single game before state finals). Several kids who played will be going to major college programs.
I very much enjoy watching High School Football, Basketball, Hockey, and even Baseball. Now Lacrosse too.

Yes, cheaper to go to games. Tickets, concessions, etc. Good entertainment for an affordable (cheap) price. Just like college, fun to see students and parents cheering. Bands playing. Cheerleaders. School spirt.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Gutter, we all know this is hot garbage. You aren’t allowed anywhere close to high school facilities.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

or a Chuck E. Cheese.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Back2Lawrence wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:37 am Gutter, we all know this is hot garbage. You aren’t allowed anywhere close to high school facilities.
Shhhhhh!
I go in a disguise. Typically in drag.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:20 am
Back2Lawrence wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:37 am Gutter, we all know this is hot garbage. You aren’t allowed anywhere close to high school facilities.
Shhhhhh!
I go in a disguise. Typically in drag.
it's good to have hobbies!
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Div 1 sports have been losing their luster for me for several years. Even when we are a topped ranked team, each year my interest lessens. I am not interested in rented players or paying so many different streaming services to watch the games.
If I cared about the level of the competition, wouldn't I just watch the NBA? It also runs October to April, each team plays twice as many games as any college team, and one can buy all of a team or the entire league from one streaming service.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

For decades I came to the boards to talk basketball. Now I come to browse the politics. So weird.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

for real I can't get over the fact the NCAA took down a final four banner cuz Silvio got paid, but now the NCAA has to pay Silvio.

how bout in lieu of that banner we just hang that check?

But they can't give him a little one cuz won't be able to see it up there. It'll have to be a big one, like they gave to Shooter McGavin.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

Just hang one that has a ribbon on it that says "unofficial banner unrecognized by the NCAA".
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ousdahl wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 7:12 pm for real I can't get over the fact the NCAA took down a final four banner cuz Silvio got paid, but now the NCAA has to pay Silvio.
I think that banner will hang within the next 5 years or so.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

6 degrees of Gutter.
Learned yesterday that my nephew's father-in-law's cousin was the first (and only) Female President of the NCAA.
I asked my nephew's father in law what he thinks she would think of the current state of the NCAA and he rolled his eyes. He said he doesn't think she would share her thoughts publicly. He and I agreed it's just a matter of time (not too distant future) before the NCCA is done.
Let's hope so.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I’m torn bc I do think the premise behind the NCAA was correct…they just clown show oil baron’d it.

Once they are done we all know what kind of organization takes its place—one that’s purely about sports and money. It will be what some predicted in this thread—pro sports for younger adults borrowing a schools brand.

Contracts. Salary caps. Trade/transfer rules. Min/max salaries. No requirements for actual class work/college participation ( “we will leave it up to each school to decide” ).
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 6:49 am I’m torn bc I do think the premise behind the NCAA was correct…they just clown show oil baron’d it.

Once they are done we all know what kind of organization takes its place—one that’s purely about sports and money. It will be what some predicted in this thread—pro sports for younger adults borrowing a schools brand.

Contracts. Salary caps. Trade/transfer rules. Min/max salaries. No requirements for actual class work/college participation ( “we will leave it up to each school to decide” ).
I think it’s worth keeping in mind that the NCAA has never been anything more (or anything less) than, for lack of a better word I guess, a vector for the will of its member schools.

If you perceive that college sports have been ruined, or are in the process of being ruined, then I think the blame fairly lies with the schools themselves. I think letting the blame rest with essentially a front the schools created for this purpose, lets the schools off the hook.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The NCAA could have laid out the rules fairly and spent more of the money they hoarded enforcing them at the first signs of the shift.

They could also have tried to keep all of this money out of the sport to treat it less like a business. Not everything needs to be a business.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

jfish26 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 10:14 am
pdub wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 6:49 am I’m torn bc I do think the premise behind the NCAA was correct…they just clown show oil baron’d it.

I think it’s worth keeping in mind that the NCAA has never been anything more (or anything less) than, for lack of a better word I guess, a vector for the will of its member schools.

If you perceive that college sports have been ruined, or are in the process of being ruined, then I think the blame fairly lies with the schools themselves. I think letting the blame rest with essentially a front the schools created for this purpose, lets the schools off the hook.
i'll blame ESPN (and entities of that ilk). Really, though, ESPN is just money. That's the source of all the ills. And yes, the fact that people like Bill Self, and all the other executives have been making millions for years and years while those playing have made nothing is ridiculous when thought of with a critical eye.

That said, the state we are in (or so it seems) is mostly disheartening, and as others here have said, is leading many of the most ardent college fans (see: many here) to lose interest in no small part.