Daylight Savings Time question

Coffee talk.
kubandalum

Daylight Savings Time question

Post by kubandalum »

There’s a lot of support for year-around daylight savings time. The pieces I read in favor of it never address one issue against it that I heard back in the ‘60s: kids going to school in the dark in the winter. I googled the idea and it’s still important to a lot of people. Proponents may mention some arguments against it, but never that issue.

I had no kids, and I grew up in a rural area where school buses stopped in front of driveways where the kids were. So for those of you who grew up in cities where morning rush hour is a real thing, or who have had kids in such places, is this an issue?
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Daylight Savings Time question

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I've long advocated, even on previous versions of this board, for year-round Daylight Saving Time. If it were year-round now, and it was proposed that we should set the clocks back an hour for 4 months a year and have earlier sunsets, everyone would think the idea is absolutely asinine.

As for the kids thing, little Jayden and Jocelyn are being dropped off at the front door by mom driving her big ass white SUV. That is, if they are even going to school in the winter as school gets cancelled the second the temperature drops below 40 degrees.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

I was living in Western Michigan when the full time Daylight time was tried. That is the Western edge of Eastern time. It was a clusterfuck. The impact depends on where in a time zone that you live.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
noosh

Post by noosh »

Who gives a fuck what time it is. I mean there are pros and cons to both sides. Leave well enough alone and pick one. People confound SUMMERTIME with DST, that's why it gets more love than standard time. It doesn't fucking matter. Also, it's Daylight SAVING time, FYI.
shindig

Post by shindig »

It's annoying. Messes up my sleep for a week twice a year. Leave it where it is right now and don't change. Also a pain re-setting clocks in house and car twice a year.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

shindig wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:38 am Also a pain re-setting clocks in house and car twice a year.
First world problems....
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I kind of like it. Summer is daylight in the evening and winter is dark in the evening.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

maybe the new space force can just fix it so that the sun just cooperates
Deleted User 62

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:31 am maybe the new space force can just fix it so that the sun just cooperates
If it doesn't cooperate, blow it out of the sky!
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

Best night of the year... Saturday night when you turned your clocks back from 2a back to 1a. You had an extra hour of drinking. Seem like the women were Wilder. Maybe I was just drunker.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Most bars actually dont change their clocks back until after they close. From my experience anyway. They dont want the liability of drunk people getting even drunker in their place.
Just Ledoux it
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

I guess nobody here walked to school or to a school bus stop, or has had kids who did it.
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Sure did but up north you're walking to school in the dark regardless of time change. Besides, guess I was never scared of the dark?
Just Ledoux it
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

How hard is it to change a damned clock?
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 62

kubandalum wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:24 pm I guess nobody here walked to school or to a school bus stop, or has had kids who did it.
Are you trying to tell us all how rough you had it?

'Cause, my dad already covered this.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Geezer wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:30 pm How hard is it to change a damned clock?
shindig could break a nail!
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:31 pm
kubandalum wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:24 pm I guess nobody here walked to school or to a school bus stop, or has had kids who did it.
Are you trying to tell us all how rough you had it?

'Cause, my dad already covered this.
Huh? I was saying that I had no experience walking to school, because the school bus stopped right in front of our driveway out in the country. How does that translate into “how rough” I had it? Jeebus!

I was asking those with that experience of kids walking to school if being in the dark in the morning rush hour is an issue. One person said his wife drove kids to school every day. That’s as close an answer as I can see to my question so far. Sheesh!
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I answered it.

Except there was no rush hour....
Just Ledoux it
shindig

Post by shindig »

Geezer wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:30 pm How hard is it to change a damned clock?
I've got lots of clocks in my house...and it's not just clocks, but the microwave, stove, etc. It's just a stupid annoyance is all.