Daylight Savings Time question

Coffee talk.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: Daylight Savings Time question

Post by Shirley »

shindig wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:10 am
Geezer wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:30 pm How hard is it to change a damned clock?
I've got lots of clocks in my house...and it's not just clocks, but the microwave, stove, etc. It's just a stupid annoyance is all.
^^^

Not to mention the potential consequences of changing the clocks in your car while you're driving, like I did in both of my cars since Sunday.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
shindig

Post by shindig »

Feral wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:14 am
shindig wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:10 am
Geezer wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:30 pm How hard is it to change a damned clock?
I've got lots of clocks in my house...and it's not just clocks, but the microwave, stove, etc. It's just a stupid annoyance is all.
^^^

Not to mention the potential consequences of changing the clocks in your car while you're driving, like I did in both of my cars since Sunday.
Ha, I did the same yesterday driving north on Rockhill toward downtown and hit a large pothole while changing the clock....lucky I didn't blow out a tire.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Theres an easy solution to that.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

TDub wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:41 am I answered it.

Except there was no rush hour....
My apologies. I f**d up.

I can’t help but add that I’m not the only one who can miss something. About that “how rough” I had it, as I said, I grew up in the country where the school bus stopped in front of our driveway. I had to walk all of 50 yards to the bus from the front door. I had no experience walking to school, which is why I was asking those who did have experience.
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Living as far north as I do and being familiar with the high cost of school bussing, Daylights Savings time is very helpful.

Time zones are more whacked. Why bother with that?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Because in the summertime the west coast would be light outside until 1am?
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

And the winters would be dark until 11am?
Just Ledoux it
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

DrPepper wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:44 am Living as far north as I do and being familiar with the high cost of school bussing, Daylights Savings time is very helpful.
Care to expand?

Strangely enough, I don't hear Arizonans complaining about getting their kids to school.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Ok, back to middle school earth science.....
At the equator, you basically get 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of night every day for all 365 days of the year.
At the poles, you get (essentially) months of only daylight followed by months of only darkness.
For example, a summer vacation to Anchorage, Alaska or Edinburgh, Scotland will offer lovely 19+ hours of daylight per day (wonderful for active vacations).
We are nearing the vernal equinox (this Wednesday!). On that day, Anchorage , Buffalo, and Lawrence are ALL getting ~12 hours of daylight and ~12 hours of darkness.

No, Arizonans are not complaining about their kids going to school in the dark. Arizona is closer to the equator so they don’t notice the length of daylight going through the annual change from short to long like those of us further north.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Since we're talking middle school science......the sun (or rather the rotation of the earth causes) moves east to west across the sky. Which, is why time zones are more relevant and critical than is daylight savings time.
Just Ledoux it
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

School bussing is shockingly expensive. If it were cheaper, all the students in a district could start and end school at the same time. To save money, the same buses and drivers will go out to pick up students several times. In my district, elementary school A, then elementary school B, then the middle school, and finally the high school. These varied start times allows us to use one bus four times each morning and afternoon. Just offsetting the two elementary schools saved my district over $3 million a year when they made the change 10 years ago.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Who cares if it is still light outside at 1am in California? I think they can manage to adjust just fine.

Did you Kansans know that the “10 o’clock news” comes on the tv at 11pm in the eastern time zone? That is so it can follow the national news program.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

How sucky to live near a time zone change and make a dental appointment on the other side of the line.... is that an 8am or 9am appointment?
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

TDub wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:07 pm Since we're talking middle school science......the sun (or rather the rotation of the earth causes) moves east to west across the sky. Which, is why time zones are more relevant and critical than is daylight savings time.
How are time zones critical?
If we were still telling time with freaking sun dials, I would agree with you.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

DrPepper wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:03 pm Ok, back to middle school earth science.....
That hurt.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Everyone go to GMT? Would be confusing at first, but I could get behind that.
Defense. Rebounds.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

DrP, your argument doesn't make any sense.

You're saying we should get rid of time zones, and everyone should just adjust their days accordingly. So, people in the east would go to work at say, 8 am and people on the west coast would go to work at say 11 am. So we'd just all be at the same time of day, just shift things around.

But then you're arguing for the benefits of daylight saving time, for the opposite reason. There aren't actually more hours of daylight in the day. So why not just have the schools adjust their start time to fit the hours of sunlight. Instead of moving the clocks back an hour in the winter why not just have school start an hour later?

If changing the clocks is arbitrary, and we should just adjust our days based on the time of year and length of day and not by time zone, then the same is true of the daylight saving time change.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

DrPepper wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:21 pm
TDub wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:07 pm Since we're talking middle school science......the sun (or rather the rotation of the earth causes) moves east to west across the sky. Which, is why time zones are more relevant and critical than is daylight savings time.
How are time zones critical?
If we were still telling time with freaking sun dials, I would agree with you.

You're worried about 1 hr of daylight savings time impacting your day. Time zones are up to 3 hr difference. You dont think that has an impact on peoples work, school and life schedules?
Just Ledoux it
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

DrPepper wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:14 pm School bussing is shockingly expensive. If it were cheaper, all the students in a district could start and end school at the same time. To save money, the same buses and drivers will go out to pick up students several times. In my district, elementary school A, then elementary school B, then the middle school, and finally the high school. These varied start times allows us to use one bus four times each morning and afternoon. Just offsetting the two elementary schools saved my district over $3 million a year when they made the change 10 years ago.
Kids are already waiting for the school bus in the dark. Just change the school times if it's really the only reason we have this antiquated system. They'd have to change the school start times if we went to the wacky idea of having no time zones.