Daylight Savings Time question

Coffee talk.
DrPepper

Re: Daylight Savings Time question

Post by DrPepper »

Oh, time zones do have an impact. For instance, I can’t rely on getting accurate KU basketball game start times on this website.
As soon as network tv is completely replaced by on demand (and we are very near that point), then we won’t have any need for time zones.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Yes, we could instill our own change in school start times appropriate for our own areas. Buffalo could make a switch when they wanted to, and Arizona can just remain constant (like they already do, actually).
It was trains that started time zones, not schools. And that was back in the day when “high noon” was confirmed with a sun dial.
Check out the time zone history of Indiana. The southwest corner of Indiana switched between Central and Eastern time zones in 1918, 1967, 2006, and 2007. The debate between times zones and day-light savings time continues in Indiana.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

jhawks99 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:25 pm Everyone go to GMT? Would be confusing at first, but I could get behind that.
Actually the world of civil aviation (don't know if military does that) operates on "Zulu Time" i.e. GMT aka UTC (not to be confused with British Standard Time: British Time follows daylight savings; GMT/UTC does not)
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Except now no one will know when breakfast ends at restaurants, on the west coast they'll have to serve breakfast until 2 pm and no one will eat lunch until mid-to late afternoon. And yes the games will all be at the same time, but it won't matter that the tip off is 9 pm in every time zone, because it's still gonna suck on the east coast because you need to be in bet before 11 pm because you gotta start your morning commute to get to work at 6 am so you're at work by 7.

All this makes perfect sense to disrupt everything nationwide but there's no possible way for the schools in buffalo NY to just start their classes 30 minutes to an hour later.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Time Zones have been around, what 200 years? Even if it's just to keep confusion to a minimum for later generations when analyzing literature, record keeping, etc., it seems worth protecting when bus route times are so easily fixable.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

We do adjust our start times. we use daylight savings time. If daylight savings time did not exist, we would instate our own local change.

You can get breakfast all day at the McDonalds drive thru. Just like you can watch Fox News all day long.

How nice to fly and not have to change your clock when you arrive nor do gymnastic math to calculate how long your flight was.
Note, the international date line was placed where it doesn’t cross through land so only PhD in his houseboat can get screwed up out there in the wide pacific.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

DrPepper wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:46 pm The debate between times zones and day-light savings time continues in Indiana.
This is always the problem when the "natural time zone boundary" runs through a state or country.....you're too far west to be in the Eastern time zone and too far east to be in the Central time zone. They should do what India did and split the difference. Rather than have two time zones in the country (GMT + 5 and GMT + 6) they went GMT + 5:30 for the entire country. It is followed by India and Sri Lanka.

Indiana would likely argue if they live on a flat or sperical earth, or earth at all; after all they elected Mike Pence to statewide office and glorified Bob Knight. Wouldn't put much stock into anything they do :)
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

DrPepper wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:56 pm We do adjust our start times. we use daylight savings time. If daylight savings time did not exist, we would instate our own local change.

You can get breakfast all day at the McDonalds drive thru. Just like you can watch Fox News all day long.

How nice to fly and not have to change your clock when you arrive nor do gymnastic math to calculate how long your flight was.
Note, the international date line was placed where it doesn’t cross through land so only PhD in his houseboat can get screwed up out there in the wide pacific.
The hours of daylight get longer and shorter throughout the year, but it doesn't shift. If you set your schedule to fit the shortest day of the year, the winter solstice. You'd never have to shift anything, because the days just get longer (more daylight in the morning and the evening) from then on.

DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

We should just quit requiring school attendance. Let them earn internet game badges.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I guess Illy hacked DrP's account.

Good luck convincing anyone in Alaska that they should now be waking up around noon and eating lunch at 7 pm so that schools in your town can use the same buses to take kids to 3 different schools.

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Lol
Just Ledoux it
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I too recognized I was doing Illinoy things in this thread.
1. Have back to back posts as if I’m having a conversation with myself.
2. Arguing both sides of a discussion.
You could say I was missing Illinoy, but you would be wrong.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

You guys are welcome, btw.
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

A couple of quick thoughts. Adjusting school start times would screw up things for working parents. As for a single time zone, look at what we have now in another light. If you call someone in, say, Hawaii or Europe, and you know that it’s 8am where that person is at, you know that it’s morning for that person. Instead, if it’s 8am everywhere at once, you’d have to know what time the workday starts, what is mid-day, etc., for anywhere you want to call.
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Once at an airport I was drinking a margarita around 10 AM.
A woman at the bar looked over and said, "It's 5 o clock somewhere."
I told her it was 10 AM here.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

It's an airport. Time restrictions dont exist in airports.
Just Ledoux it
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:57 am Once at an airport I was drinking a margarita around 10 AM.
A woman at the bar looked over and said, "It's 5 o clock somewhere."
I told her it was 10 AM here.
I was on a flight from SFO-Singapore with a stopover in Hong Kong. The first leg was 14+ hours and the departure at HKG was around 8:30 am local time (dep at SFO was at 1 am). I asked for a G&T and the flight attendant asked "Now?". I said "Yes, absolutely. I have been on this plane for over 16 hours [did get to leave and walk around the HKG terminal] and it's 7 pm where I'm from. So, yes"
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'm gettin' drunk on a plane.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

kubandalum wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:43 am A couple of quick thoughts. Adjusting school start times would screw up things for working parents. As for a single time zone, look at what we have now in another light. If you call someone in, say, Hawaii or Europe, and you know that it’s 8am where that person is at, you know that it’s morning for that person. Instead, if it’s 8am everywhere at once, you’d have to know what time the workday starts, what is mid-day, etc., for anywhere you want to call.
Excellent points
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Get. It. Done.

This year, 32 states have proposed legislation to make daylight saving permanent -- as in more sunlight year-round. Eight states have already passed bills to stop springing forward and keep that precious hour of sleep.
It's just up to Congress to approve them.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/09/us/dayli ... index.html