Stressed millenials?

Ugh.
Mjl

Re: Stressed millenials?

Post by Mjl »

That's some rhetorical crap right there. Anecdotes and using statistics to suggest causation when there's actually no evidence of it.

Here's an anecdote. I had helicopter parents. I am still doing fine as an adult on my own. It made me understand how not to parent though, so I make sure not to raise my kids that way.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

just thought it was germane to convo

i’ve seen the results of such parenting in a much more negative way, both with extended family members and from family/colleagues that are educators

not saying it’s causation, but definitely an interesting trend
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

What are helicopter parents?
RussianHawk

Post by RussianHawk »

Whoops my bad --- I didn't read the original article--- I assumed it was a different one
Last edited by RussianHawk on Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:38 pm just thought it was germane to convo

i’ve seen the results of such parenting in a much more negative way, both with extended family members and from family/colleagues that are educators

not saying it’s causation, but definitely an interesting trend
Were parents really not like that in previous generations?
Also, if the parents of the millennials are the problem - what caused them to be this way?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

RussianHawk wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:20 pm Mellenials have a legitimate gripe about a lot of things. With their numbers boomers and other shit talkers better pray they die before they get organized and engaged.
Why? Are they gonna militarize and come after us? Lol. They'd have to put down the phone and walk up out of mom's basement first.
Just Ledoux it
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:26 pm Oh, good! Some baby boomer penning some patronizing antagonistic piece about younger generations!

In other news...

Gutfield is right on the edge of the baby boomer generation, born in 1964. Let's not link him with the rest of us who aren't complaining about millennials.
Don't inject Lysol.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
RussianHawk

Post by RussianHawk »

TDub wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:38 am
RussianHawk wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:20 pm Mellenials have a legitimate gripe about a lot of things. With their numbers boomers and other shit talkers better pray they die before they get organized and engaged.
Why? Are they gonna militarize and come after us? Lol. They'd have to put down the phone and walk up out of mom's basement first.
Whoops my bad --- I didn't read the original article--- I assumed it was a different one
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

I blame Trump.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Which one?

Im guessing Fred, for helping with so many of his adult kid’s expenses in life and career.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Lol
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

If you have the right skills, instead of a degree in “Studies,” and you’re willing to go where the jobs are, you can make out quite well.
https://www.careerexplorer.com/careers/ ... rth-dakota
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

That is not reality.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

What was the student loan debt situation like for boomers?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Unless your parents are a doctor, a lawyer or a drug dealer, you are exiting 4 years at the university with a ton of debt. You better have come away with a degree that allows you to earn right out of the gate. Cause you're spending the next 30-40 years of your life saddled with debt.

A couple years at the local community college before you go off to university can make the difference.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

It depends on the profession. I would and have hired someone without a college education to work with me in a heartbeat if they have demonstrated knowledge and passion for the work.
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

Mjl wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:34 pm
That's some rhetorical crap right there. Anecdotes and using statistics to suggest causation when there's actually no evidence of it.

Here's an anecdote. I had helicopter parents. I am still doing fine as an adult on my own. It made me understand how not to parent though, so I make sure not to raise my kids that way.
The only evidence you need is colleges and universities providing “safe spaces,“ complete with Play-Doh and coloring books.
http://www.chicagonow.com/chicago-on-th ... de-stress/
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Going to be even tougher for parents as their kids will now be kicked off their insurance, thanks to Dol and DC's hero the Donald.
Don't inject Lysol.