Positives from this season...

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Re: Positives from this season...

Post by ousdahl »

As far as development goes, there’s also the consideration that the 10th place team in Greece allows him to focus 100% on development, instead of also having to focus on things that don’t immediately benefit his pro hoops career, like go to class.

Plus there’s the appeal of actually getting paid your actual market value in actual clean money, instead of hanging around not getting paid and/or wondering if you’ll get caught up in an FBI investigation.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I would bet the same amount of time spent practicing and training at KU would be equal to the same amount of practicing at some 10th place team in Greece.
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

I think it’s less that Dedric is emotionless than that he normally doesn’t show his emotions. This is worth reading.
https://www.kansascity.com/sports/colle ... 47559.html

From that story I wouldn’t be surprised if Dedric decided to stay another year, though I wouldn’t be surprised either way.
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:11 am As far as development goes, there’s also the consideration that the 10th place team in Greece allows him to focus 100% on development, instead of also having to focus on things that don’t immediately benefit his pro hoops career, like go to class.

Plus there’s the appeal of actually getting paid your actual market value in actual clean money, instead of hanging around not getting paid and/or wondering if you’ll get caught up in an FBI investigation.
He needs to get used to the international game and gets paid while doing so. That's part of his development. The idea that he's going to Europe for a little bit to get ready for the NBA just isn't reality for him. He could become a fan favorite over there.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Lesson here - give up on your dreams when you are 19 years old.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

JFC

So. Fucking. Dumb.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:41 am
Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:20 am I find it hard to believe that Dok is going to be drafted by any NBA team this year. Is going to Europe or NBA Africa better than one more year at Kansas? To me it's almost giving up on his NBA dreams and accepting second or third best.
For people who don't have a lot of money I'd imagine playing in Europe or NBA Africa and earning 6 figures plus is better than 1 more year at Kansas.

And another year at Kansas will have minimal impact on his chances at an NBA career....it certainly won't have a significantly more positive impact on his chances than continuing to develop as a pro and earning money.

He doesn't have a skill set that translates very well to the NBA. That's not going to change much no matter where he's at.

His main benefits of coming back are to earn a degree from a wonderful university and to enjoy the college experience / lifestyle / continue to be a kid.
The counter would also be true. A another year in school would delay his journey to play overseas. But it wouldn't hurt his chances of playing ball for money at some point in his life, barring a major injury. I wish him the best in this tough decision. A degree is always a good thing to have in life.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I honestly don't know enough about international ball to have a feeling about Doke. My (very likely naive) impression is that Doke is uniquely unsuited to the European game, which favors more mobile and skilled bigs.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:03 pm A degree is always a good thing to have in life.
Dok is probably different than the average american hoops guy, in that a degree might be very important to him. (I don't know that to be true). But that would make a return more likely.

It also seems likely that he's not just interested in money for himself, but possibly for his family. Which would make him leaving more likely.

He might also view pro ball differently than a typical american college player. I don't know that he'd see playing professionally somewhere else as giving up on an NBA dream, or settling, or failing to make it in the NBA. He might just want the best professional situation he can find. (I don't know that to be true) But that would make him leaving more likely.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

A degree is a good thing to have in life. Yes, but lol.

The window to play professionally, wherever that may be, is not long. If he will be paid significantly, good on him. Let him get paid.

The degree can be obtained whenever.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

Dok is 19 or 20. The window isn't closing that fast. I don't know if he is going to 'be paid significantly'. Which is more valuable a year at Kansas or playing 'the 10th place team in Greece'?

If we are talking 6-figure, okay. If the money is chicken-feed, then maybe not.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I think Doke’s earning window is tiny. Once he’s gone from KU, he’s not valuable enough that anyone will ride an injury out (or pay for or during surgery/rehab/etc.).

He’s not an NBA player, but he’s highly incentivized to make money now, wherever that might be.

If only there were a completely logical thing we could do to make staying in college worth his while.
Deleted User 75

jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:44 am I think Doke’s earning window is tiny. Once he’s gone from KU, he’s not valuable enough that anyone will ride an injury out (or pay for or during surgery/rehab/etc.).

He’s not an NBA player, but he’s highly incentivized to make money now, wherever that might be.

If only there were a completely logical thing we could do to make staying in college worth his while.
Always hilarious to see fans try to rationalize why a player should stay in school and play for free (or for smaller amounts of money under the table).

They can't separate their personal wishes for KU to be as good as possible from what's actually best for the player or what the player actually wants to do.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

I am a phan of the University of Kansas. I am a phan of The Big Fella. I want one more year.

My rationalization is "what is best for MICHHAWK is best for MICHHAWK." It is best for MICHHAWK if The Big Fella gives me one more year. One more year might be not a bad thing, and maybe even a good thing For The Big Fella. Win win.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Deleted User 75

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:05 am I am a phan of the University of Kansas. I am a phan of The Big Fella. I want one more year.

My rationalization is "what is best for MICHHAWK is best for MICHHAWK." It is best for MICHHAWK if The Big Fella gives me one more year. One more year might be not a bad thing, and maybe even a good thing For The Big Fella. Win win.
I respect that a lot more than pretending he can't get a degree while playing professionally or after playing professionally....or the laughable notion that players have "large earning windows"....even the best players rarely have more than a 15 year earning window. Giving up a single year in a 15 year window is 6.67% of his total earning potential.....for a big 7ft guy who has injury history it's possible/probable that his earning window is shorter than 15 years. Maybe even much shorter. If it's an 8 year earning window then giving up 1 year is 12.5%. That's a lot to risk.

If HE wants to stay then I want him to stay. If HE wants to go then I want him to go....I hope he does whatever he wants and then also finishes his degree 1 way or another because that will be useful after basketball far more often than not.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I would even take the under if set at 8 years.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Illy is such a fucking nutjob
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

Cascadia wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:03 pm Illy is such a fucking nutjob
While in general I don’t disagree, I think he’s on point with this.

And Mich demonstrated the selfish nature of arguments against leaving accurately as well.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Gqcolorado wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:00 pm And Mich demonstrated the selfish nature of arguments against leaving accurately as well.
MICHHAWK is not argueing for or against anything. MICHHAWK is stating his desires as a phan.

MICHHAWK wants The Big Fella for one more year.

MICHHAWK wants DLaw for one more year.

No arguments. Desires.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The difference is that you can really capitalize on a good season in college basketball as opposed to languishing with the 10th place team in Greece where you are making $6000 a month.