Positives from this season...

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 75

Re: Positives from this season...

Post by Deleted User 75 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:25 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:21 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:20 am Not what I’m saying. He can’t enter the draft twice.
That could be a positive or a negative. It's hard to say right now. Being able to land in a spot where you're needed and can thrive is half the battle.
No NBA team right now needs a Udoka.

His best bet is a Selby-like route. Find some team that likes his workouts enough to take a flyer, drafts him, then feels pot committed.

They watched him last year at the combine and he couldn’t keep up. They’re not going into free agency or overseas to give him a shot.
Well that's a different argument altogether...

I don't think he's an NBA player no matter what he does short of turning into a faster, more athletic, and far more skilled player. None of those things can happen in 12months. And he probably knows that and that's why he didn't apply for a medical redshirt and why self has said multiple times Dok is going to turn pro.
Last edited by Deleted User 75 on Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"ummmmm..."

Well sure - and that's his knock wherever he goes.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I mean Dok has never had a fully healthy season of hoops.

I wish he would. Just like I wish he would return to college and do just that.

but given his injury history, and the finite window of opportunity to make money playing ball (legit money too, none of that shady college shit), I just think there's too much weight on the business decision to consider another year of NCAA. The opportunity to finish a degree will always be there; the opportunity to play pro ball won't.

Think of it this way: say next year he gets hurt again - heaven forbid, but not exactly going out on a limb, considering it's happened literally every season he's played.

so if that does happen, would you rather have it happen at KU as a Certified Amateur, or somewhere in Greece after having inked the best deal available?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It's a risk.
There may be higher reward if he plays another year at KU.
I understand why he's leaving - I think there are arguments for him to stay.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

if he's gonna suddenly develop the ability to score from further than 3 feet away, and become an elite rebounder, and shot blocker too, and be able to switch on D, and also hit his god damn free throws, then it's not like college is the only place for that to happen.

in fact, the only thing college is the only place for something to happen is to NOT get paid.

I suppose college is better exposure too, but he doesn't need the exposure. He's already had the exposure. He needs the development (well, that and stay healthy). And if he's able to develop that much more skillset, I think scouts will notice regardless of where he's playing.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

pdub wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:41 am It's a risk.
Don't think so. I think he is what he is at this point. Teams know he can dunk, rebound a little and can block some shots.

He won't develop a shot, he won't do anything else than be a back-to-the-basket big who is just a big body that dunks. Another year at KU isn't going to change what scouts view of him.

As a fan, I want him back. But as a person who wants to see people succeed, he won't be more successful or improve by staying a year. Go get that money now, young fella. Go to Spain, Greece, France, Germany or wherever and make your money. Go get paid to practice and play, instead of going to BS classes and practicing limited hours and hope you don't get hurt.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 75

The only argument for him to stay is if he loves being at KU and wants to play another year of college basketball and enjoy being a kid.

Trying to reach any deeper than that is silly. Fans always thinks there's more value at their school of choice than there truly is.
Deleted User 75

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvmEs2vgNVF ... mn5capkzgv

"Injury history is the biggest predictor of injuries in the future"- Hudy
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:58 am
pdub wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:41 am It's a risk.
Don't think so. I think he is what he is at this point. Teams know he can dunk, rebound a little and can block some shots.

He won't develop a shot, he won't do anything else than be a back-to-the-basket big who is just a big body that dunks. Another year at KU isn't going to change what scouts view of him.
I think people underestimate the amount of basketball he has played and his age.
I don't think it's set in 100% stone that he won't develop some of the things mentioned.
If he improved defensively or added some more technique around the basket that might be enough for a team to stash him on the bench and develop him. He's still a unique player even though he doesn't fit well in today's NBA.
Deleted User 75

I think some people also underestimate how hard it is to make it to the NBA.

Remember how awesome Cole Aldrich was in college....he was never consistently an NBA rotation player. He's far superior to Dok.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:59 am I think some people also underestimate how hard it is to make it to the NBA.

Remember how awesome Cole Aldrich was in college....he was never consistently an NBA rotation player. He's far superior to Dok.
While I agree with your statement that making it to the NBA is tough and Cole is better than Udoka, Cole also made $23M in his career.

If Udoka is able to get to, let's say, $5M, less than a 1/4 of what Cole made, he will have done really, really well.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 75

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:15 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:59 am I think some people also underestimate how hard it is to make it to the NBA.

While I agree with your statement that making it to the NBA is tough and Cole is better than Udoka, Cole also made $23M in his career.

If Udoka is able to get to, let's say, $5M, less than a 1/4 of what Cole made, he will have done really, really well.
Totally agree.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

If Dok were to change sports to make money, what could he do? He has elite height and reach. There have been several Nigerian heavy weight boxers. As a boxer, he is still young.
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

I was sitting here thinking all week about how and why we always seem to give up a ridiculous amount of threes when we lose in the tournament. Then tonight, I see UNC gave up 17 three pointers to Auburn. We're not the only ones who go through this shit.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

DrPepper wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:15 am If Dok were to change sports to make money, what could he do? He has elite height and reach. There have been several Nigerian heavy weight boxers. As a boxer, he is still young.
Except apparently his hands and wrists are made of glass.
Just Ledoux it
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

Would Dok fit in with European pro ball at all?
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

TDub wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:03 am
DrPepper wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:15 am If Dok were to change sports to make money, what could he do? He has elite height and reach. There have been several Nigerian heavy weight boxers. As a boxer, he is still young.
Except apparently his hands and wrists are made of glass.
And his footwork isn't great.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

He is practically an unstoppable force in college.

One more year.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

There is alot of unflattering stuff on this page alone. You all are just taking turns posting whatever unflattering stuff you can think of to knock him down with.

If you are reading this Big Fella I love you. One more year.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

It's over.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.