Contributor

Re: Totally random thread

Post by Shirley »

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

Very long article, but worth it. The gist of it is paleontologist from KU makes what may be the greatest find in history.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019 ... saurs-died

Edited to add: Looks like he found fossils from the exact day that the asteroid hit that took out the dinosaurs.
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

kubandalum wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:44 pm Very long article, but worth it. The gist of it is paleontologist from KU makes what may be the greatest find in history.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019 ... saurs-died

Edited to add: Looks like he found fossils from the exact day that the asteroid hit that took out the dinosaurs.
Thank you. I really quite enjoyed this.

I really hope he's right. The future research it would lead to is remarkable.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’m just sitting here wondering why this was one of the things trad didn’t tell us.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

nm
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
Deleted User 89

Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Interesting, in-depth article. Thanks.

If you're into rodeo &/or bull riding, I happened upon this Netflix "mini-series" "Fearless" recently, and it was pretty interesting too. It's from 2016 and follows several Brazilian cowboys who are determined to make it to the World Championship in Las Vegas. Rodeo is huge in Brazil, but I guess the most money is here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... T0avi4Qy3E
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

That is a terrific documentary. There is a fear among American cowboys that Brazil is taking over and we are losing the sport. To that I say. Get better cowboy. Silvano Alves and the like are eating your lunch because they work harder not because they're Brazilian.
Last edited by TDub on Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Also, the documentary Unbroken is great. Tex am students ride (previously) wild mustang's from Arizona to Montana
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

cousin road mustangs in college...tore his body up
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Yea. That is unavoidable. A crazy, cool, tough motherfucker, fun and Dying art.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

he road for either UNM or New Mexico St...can't remember which.

but, i remember at least one family get-together with him being bruised and battered...broken arm, broken wrist, etc.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I like going to the rodeo in the summertime up here
Deleted User 89

ousdahl wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:12 pm I like going to the rodeo in the summertime up here
you just like tight wranglers and cowboy boots

not that there’s anything wrong with that
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I mostly go for the pulled pork and cheap coorses
Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

I have said it before and I'm sure I'll probably say it again - I seriously believe I am more intelligent than 60%+ of those living in this country - and I'm a fucking moron.
Carry on kids.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:12 pm I like going to the rodeo in the summertime up here
I went to a rodeo in Durango ~ 15 years ago, and frankly, it was hard to sit through. I hadn't been to a rodeo in decades so I have no idea if this is common, but the repeated injection of "patriotic", "we're number one", Why I Love America speeches, Star Spangled Banner singing, multiple people on horses parading at high speed around the ring holding an American flag interludes between every event made me wonder if they always do this, or were there not the usual number of participants and they were just filling time. The arena was outside and close to half of the crowd appeared to be foreign tourists, and I couldn't help but wonder... If I was finding all this American flag-waving jingoism nauseating, what must they be thinking?
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Feral wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:18 am
I went to a rodeo in Durango ~ 15 years ago, and frankly, it was hard to sit through. I hadn't been to a rodeo in decades so I have no idea if this is common, but the repeated injection of "patriotic", "we're number one", Why I Love America speeches, Star Spangled Banner singing, multiple people on horses parading at high speed around the ring holding an American flag interludes between every event made me wonder if they always do this, or were there not the usual number of participants and they were just filling time. The arena was outside and close to half of the crowd appeared to be foreign tourists, and I couldn't help but wonder... If I was finding all this American flag-waving jingoism nauseating, what must they be thinking?
Deleted User 89

Feral wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:18 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePQ9_re7f1A

my family did rodeo when i was younger, and the only flag processions i recall were at the beginning and the end, and during an "event" called the gymkhana

i'm sure its different now