Guns Up

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Re: Guns Up

Post by ousdahl »

I remember thinking, there’s no way to conclusively say that was off tech, but if they’re taking this long to look at it then they’re gonna get cute and overturn it anyway
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:50 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:47 pm How many of you actually played competitive basketball? The defense hits the ball out of your hand, sometimes it grazes fingernails. The call is always offensive ball unless it hits a knee or a shoe. We didn't invent replay to change that call.
Do you want the call to be right or not? Cause that's supposed to be what replay is for. It appeared to be the right call.

If that was vs. KU I doubt you're pulling out the old "did you ever play the game" card. And yes, I did.
Virginia hit the ball out. Replay certainly didn't show anything conclusively different.

For all of basketball history except tonight when referees can't figure out what replay is and is not for, that's Texas Tech's ball.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

It was competitive and entertaining but not one I would look for an Instant Classic replay for to watch again.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:53 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:47 pm How many of you actually played competitive basketball? The defense hits the ball out of your hand, sometimes it grazes fingernails. The call is always offensive ball unless it hits a knee or a shoe. We didn't invent replay to change that call.
Do you want the call to be right or not? Cause that's supposed to be what replay is for. It appeared to be the right call.

If that was vs. KU I doubt you're pulling out the old "did you ever play the game" card. And yes, I did.
Virginia hit the ball out. Replay certainly didn't show anything conclusively different.

For all of basketball history except tonight when referees can't figure out what replay is and is not for, that's Texas Tech's ball.
Both of those statements are purely your opinion. Seems like the refs and all of the people on the call disagree with you.
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

Yeah, that finger thing was a bad call that hurt Tech, but Tech missed too many shots in overtime. They looked tight at the worst possible time. So damn close too. If they just could have stopped that 3-pointer that forced overtime.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

So you guys can conclusively say that the side of the finger that you can’t see was definitely touching the ball?

Mind, that wasn’t the call on the floor.
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

I don't think we can conclude, but the bigger picture is that the call went against the spirit of the game. C&B hit the nail on the head with his comment.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:55 pm

Both of those statements are purely your opinion. Seems like the refs and all of the people on the call disagree with you.
It's not opinion. In NBA, HS, and International basketball, that's Texas Tech's ball. I truly don't think you've been around the sport competitively.

Replay is overall a net negative in every sport. Now, that's an opinion, but is rapidly becoming more popular.

This is like when a baserunner beats the throw to 2nd base bag. Comes off of it for .4 seconds and a blurry frame in 1080 pixels shows a millimeter of a glove on the guy's jersey, and it's overturned to an out. That's not why replay was introduced in sports.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

If we're using replay to review tenths of a second frames to overturn a call that has always been called one way, then why stop there? Retroactively call the foul on the UVA player and send Tech to the line.
LVCHawk

Post by LVCHawk »

The biggest replay bs to me was changing that 2 to a 3 in the first half. That did not seem indisputable
NLowrider

Post by NLowrider »

Screw that overturned call. I wanted the game to keep going. Can we get some non-HD video playback for those fools.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

This is like when a baserunner beats the throw to 2nd base bag. Comes off of it for .4 seconds and a blurry frame in 1080 pixels shows a millimeter of a glove on the guy's jersey, and it's overturned to an out. That's not why replay was introduced in sports.
Correct. It was bc The Oilers got jobbed in ‘79. I was 5, but it still hurt.
https://youtu.be/E8gCDIQ7_Nw
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

lobster wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:00 pm I don't think we can conclude, but the bigger picture is that the call went against the spirit of the game. C&B hit the nail on the head with his comment.
Oh good lord. "Spirit of the game"? Come on. Let's at least be honest here. It was a call you wish wasn't made, not a call that "can't" be made or "goes against the spirit of the game.

Like I said, if that was Kansas tipping that ball fighting to come back in a bid to win the title then I want the RIGHT call to be made and it looked to me, and based on the overturn by the refs, to be the right call. Was it close? Yes, otherwise they wouldn't have taken a long look.

Frankly, the tap out where it went off the TT big man but was still rules TT ball looked to be more conclusive but the refs took less time and Dee e died to leave it.

Nonetheless, "the spirit of the game"? Give me a freaking break. That's so K-State it's not even funny.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

NLowrider wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:09 pm Screw that overturned call. I wanted the game to keep going. Can we get some non-HD video playback for those fools.
Another "because I wanted it to be different"not "be cause it was the wrong calI". I appreciate your honesty at least; you are the first to admit it.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:05 pm If we're using replay to review tenths of a second frames to overturn a call that has always been called one way, then why stop there? Retroactively call the foul on the UVA player and send Tech to the line.
Ah, the old "back in my day" argument. And aren't you a lawyer?
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

Lol @ twocoach analyzing anyone’s take on blaming refs.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:01 pm

It's not opinion. In NBA, HS, and International basketball, that's Texas Tech's ball. I truly don't think you've been around the sport competitively.
Another opnion, followed by an attempt to muddy the waters with some sort of prerequisite necessary to have eyeballs that can view whose hands touched the ball last. Did your competitive history in the sport 30 years ago bless you with some sort of magic vision that people who didnt play the game have? No.

The whole point of replay is to take the subjectivity out of it and get the call right to the best of the refs ability. Do you think the ball went off of the TT player or the Va. player? I think it went off TT.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

The refs actually reffing the game seemed to have a clear idea what replay was for. It just didnt synch up with your desired results you've changed the definition tonight. Next year when KU is in the same spot, you'll champion the "get it right" version.
thisiskoz

Post by thisiskoz »

twocoach wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:32 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:01 pm
Another opnion, followed by an attempt to muddy the waters with some sort of prerequisite necessary to have eyeballs that can view whose hands touched the ball last. Did your competitive history in the sport 30 years ago bless you with some sort of magic vision that people who didnt play the game have? No.

The whole point of replay is to take the subjectivity out of it and get the call right to the best of the refs ability. Do you think the ball went off of the TT player or the Va. player? I think it went off TT.
Man I hope a cop never catches you doing 56 in a 55 cause you know. You're breaking the law and deserve a ticket. No subjectivity right? You're over the speed limit and deserve a ticket.

Look. The Virginia player knocked the ball out of of bounds before the replay and the Virginia player knocked the ball out of bounds after the replay. In a non end of game situation that doesn't even get looked at.

Right or wrong it's unfortunate that officiating decisions dictated the outcomes of two of the last three games.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:32 pmThe whole point of replay is to take the subjectivity out of it and get the call right to the best of the refs ability.
This is wrong.

At least GQ gets it.