Q gone...

Kansas Basketball.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Re: Q gone...

Post by DCHawk1 »

At what point do we say...meh...only wasted the scholly for one year.

I don't think he'd be going if the staff were really working hard to convince him not to.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:22 pm At what point do we say...meh...only wasted the scholly for one year.

I don't think he'd be going if the staff were really working hard to convince him not to.
Self often seems like a two in the bush is is better than a bird in hand kind of guy, but what would that mean on a team with several available scholarships still available even if Grimes stayed? That Stanley is coming and Self thinks he's better? Or that Braun and McBride (ranked 100+) are better?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

Lawson gets drafted in the mid-40's.

Grimes announces. Stanley commits over UCLA and Oregon. Grimes gets told by the NBA that he won't get draft and he needs more development. Grimes pulls out comes back to Kansas. Win-Win.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Damn, we have a rough season coming up if Self doesn't pull off about 4 miracles in the next 2 months.
t_jayhawk

Post by t_jayhawk »

Wtf?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Cascadia wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:47 pm I’m actually a little shocked by this. He’s not ready for the NBA. Will probably get a look in the 2nd round though
More than just "not ready", he just doesn't look like a guy that is going to develop a bunch. He was limited physically and mentally with a poor shot, a poor midrange, poor finishing skills at the rim and poor decision making.

Which of course means he'll win NBA Rookie of the Year next year...
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

said it before and Ill say it again. Quentin Grimes isn't actually good at anything. from an NBA point of view. He is average size, athleticism, shooting, handling, passing, etc. Probably below average toughness and defense.

Is it possible some or even all of those skills could develop? of course. but he better hope a franchise falls in love with his young age and are patient cause 6'5 guards who are average athletes with no strength/niche/skillset dont last very long
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

all of a sudden i feel less confident about Dotson
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I wish him nothing but the best. but this just doesnt seem like a smart decision on his part. I get that he is chasing his dream. but by leaving this early he risks turning a 10 year career into maybe a 2 year skid of bouncing around the G league
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:24 pm all of a sudden i feel less confident about Dotson
The guys who stay and are patient are going to develop. I guess Grimes could eventually find a career overseas and make good money. I just don't think his NBA dream is likely if he takes this path.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:24 pm all of a sudden i feel less confident about Dotson
Maybe it's a reason to be more confident. Grimes came in as a OAD, played like shit, but left because he had his mind made up. Dotson thought he'd be here a couple years, even though he exceeded expectations, maybe he's mentally set on staying.

Now I sound like lonestar.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 183

Post by Deleted User 183 »

I'm wondering who is the person that's going to have the balls to ask Q and/or Self if he thinks/knows he is going to be implicated - and if that's the reason he's running away from KU.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

Gutter wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:57 pm I'm wondering who is the person that's going to have the balls to ask Q and/or Self if he thinks/knows he is going to be implicated - and if that's the reason he's running away from KU.
i actually had that thought too
PortlandHawk

Post by PortlandHawk »

Honestly not sure I want him back if he goes undrafted. He seems to have the Wiggins mentality not the JJ mindset.
LVCHawk

Post by LVCHawk »

PortlandHawk wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:04 pm Honestly not sure I want him back if he goes undrafted. He seems to have the Wiggins mentality not the JJ mindset.
Wiggins mentality would have been fine if he didn't shoot like Garrett. Wiggins would have "seemed" like a different player(eventhough he was great) if he had a point guard.
PortlandHawk

Post by PortlandHawk »

LVCHawk wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:07 pm
PortlandHawk wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:04 pm Honestly not sure I want him back if he goes undrafted. He seems to have the Wiggins mentality not the JJ mindset.
Wiggins mentality would have been fine if he didn't shoot like Garrett. Wiggins would have "seemed" like a different player(eventhough he was great) if he had a point guard.
I’m being irrational, but my point is: if he doesn’t want to play college ball or be at KU, then goodbye and good riddance. He always seemed to have one foot out the door.
shindig

Post by shindig »

DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:22 pm At what point do we say...meh...only wasted the scholly for one year.

Uh huh. Ask yourself, why do so many Dook and UNC star players stick around for 2-3 years and win championships and KU players can't wait to get out of Dodge?
LVCHawk

Post by LVCHawk »

shindig wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:31 pm Uh huh. Ask yourself, why do so many Dook and UNC star players stick around for 2-3 years and win championships and KU players can't wait to get out of Dodge?
Because K is the devil and Roy is a manipulator.
shindig

Post by shindig »

LVCHawk wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:35 pm
shindig wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:31 pm Uh huh. Ask yourself, why do so many Dook and UNC star players stick around for 2-3 years and win championships and KU players can't wait to get out of Dodge?
And Self is what? "We good"
LVCHawk

Post by LVCHawk »

shindig wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:42 pm
LVCHawk wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:35 pm
And Self is what? "We good"
I think Self feels it's better for everyone if a player does what they want to do. If they want to leave he gets them the info they need. If they want to come back, he figures something out. Roy probably looks at his kids all teary-eyed and lays the guilt down.