Q gone...

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 183

Re: Q gone...

Post by Deleted User 183 »

Shame his mind often wasn't made up when he played in games.
Maybe he should have left KU after the Michigan State game and who knows - I say he just may have been a first rounder had he done as such.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

vmlb wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:37 pm Why do fans believe a player can develop his game better in college, rather then as a pro?
It depends on if he makes a NBA team or not. If he doesn’t I’d argue Kansas has a top notch program of trainers and coaches that are more focused on you than others would be if you were playing G league or in Greece. Better publicity at Kansas too. You can build your stock better.

A lot of people ( not just athletes ) stay in college rather than looking to find a job for a number of reasons. If someone promises they’ll draft Quentin, ok, i suppose, go get that money. But you also have a chance, in one year, of advancing that first contract to guaranteed money.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

vmlb wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:37 pm Why do fans believe a player can develop his game better in college, rather then as a pro?
Because the G League is full of guys going out there to get theirs and does not promote players development. 30+ games against better competition with better coaches getting big minutes at a major college program is better for players who have so many holes in their games.

If he doesn't make an NBA roster and stick on it then it was probably a bad decision that will cost him money in the long run.
Last edited by twocoach on Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Someone go ask Henry Ellenson and Diamond Stone if the holes in their games developed in the G League and if they would have developed better with a 2nd year of school.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:58 am based on the video clip i saw of Q, he looked and sounded like his mind was made up
There are two parts of this process:. 1. He wants to go to the NBA and 2. A NBA team wants to draft him because they believe he is one of the 60 best players in the world.

1. I believe he does
2. This one I am not sure of

Time will tell. Use this opening to recruit Stanley or another SG. Never gave enough shooters. It will work out.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:45 am
TraditionKU wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:58 am based on the video clip i saw of Q, he looked and sounded like his mind was made up
There are two parts of this process:. 1. He wants to go to the NBA and 2. A NBA team wants to draft him because they believe he is one of the 60 best players in the world.

1. I believe he does

Time will tell. Use this opening to recruit Stanley or another SG. Never gave enough shooters. It will work out.
What is your reason for thinking we are a legit landing spot for Cassius Stanley?

All indications are that he wants to stay on the west coast. Oregon has been getting some big names, especially Nike guys. Ucla getting a new coach may help our chances, but I just don't see it.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Hmm. Odd choice by Grimes. Definition of sticking to a plan and not adjusting to the realities of a situation. Good luck to him. Would love to have him back if he comes to his senses.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

There are 2 sides to every coin.

If he comes back and looks similar then he's going to hurt himself even more than he did this year.

If he comes back and looks better, but then tears his ACL he's in a worse spot.

There are scenarios where it works/helps to come back and there are scenarios where it doesn't help.

But only 1 of those scenarios results in him playing for free when he could get paid to play.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Only one of those results in the possibility of him getting drafted in a spot where he actually gets some guaranteed money instead of living in Poland scrapping for 55k a year
Just Ledoux it
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

There are arguments that it will work out fine.

There are arguments why he would want to leave now.

There aren't really any arguments that it's a good decision, as far as maximizing what he has.
Lonestarjayhawk

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:17 am
Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:45 am

1. I believe he does

What is your reason for thinking we are a legit landing spot for Cassius Stanley?

All indications are that he wants to stay on the west coast. Oregon has been getting some big names, especially Nike guys. Ucla getting a new coach may help our chances, but I just don't see it.
His own words saying that he is interested in Kansas. The staff has been telling him that Grimes would be leaving after this season. It may be a surprise to you or others, but this has been the built-in pitch to Stanley for the past year. UCLA has been out since Alford was fired. They would have to make up a lot ground. I would say Oregon might be leading right now. A lot depends on Louis King. Will he stay one more year or head to the NBA. You are more into the NBA. Does King stay or go?
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:44 amIf he gets feedback that no team will draft him this year then he had a decision to make. It make be a hard punch in the nuts but he can come back. Wait til the rat lady sings...
Other than teams completely ignoring what he showed this season and drafting him, this is what I hope happens for him. He's a guy you take back in a heartbeat if the draft process doesn't work out for him.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

Comedy.

I’ve reached the point with kids who underperform or leave before they should (in my mind) that I simply don’t care about them. If he doesn’t hire an agent and comes back, that could change, but really he failed at KU in terms of basketball influence, and so good luck. No sleep lost.

Essentially, I think he stole a year of $$$ from KU. Yes, I know we should all like the most talent year in and year out, but with the Adidas shit affecting recruiting and losing everyone, I’m currently wondering how much more players like Grimes are hurting the program, rather than advancing it. Because, in his one year here, we did significantly less than most past years. And in the absence of our bigs and Vick, he did little to get better given the opportunity.

See ya. Good luck wherever you end.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

DrPepper wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:34 pm
Mjl wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:51 pm How many players came into programs super-highly regarded, didn't perform worth a damn, left after one year, and still had legit NBA careers?

Jrue Holiday definitely.
Could argue Drummond, if you consider 10 and 7.5 not performing.
Steven Adams.

I can't think of any others.
Daniel Orton was not ranked as high as Q in high school and was a reserve at UK. Got drafted anyway and saw a bit of NBA court time.
There are tons of those cases - that's what I am getting at. Orton didn't have any kind of significant NBA career.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yeah, Quentin shouldn't leave after one year! He should follow the lead of guys like Selden!

You know, cuz Selden stuck around for three years to work on his game so he could...uh, still go undrafted and ultimately get that contract by working his ass off in G League instead...nm
Lonestarjayhawk

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:58 am
Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:44 amIf he gets feedback that no team will draft him this year then he had a decision to make. It make be a hard punch in the nuts but he can come back. Wait til the rat lady sings...
Other than teams completely ignoring what he showed this season and drafting him, this is what I hope happens for him. He's a guy you take back in a heartbeat if the draft process doesn't work out for him.
I hope they give him good advice. If he will get drafted, good, stay in and get a paycheck. If he isn't there yet, tell him to go back to Kansas and work on his game. I am rooting for him. I watch his highlight tape, he has talent. I am a fan.

This combine is the best thing the NBA and the NCAA have done. I think it is real feedback.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
Deleted User 141

ousdahl wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:23 am yeah, Quentin shouldn't leave after one year! He should follow the lead of guys like Selden!

You know, cuz Selden stuck around for three years to work on his game so he could...uh, still go undrafted and ultimately get that contract by working his ass off in G League instead...nm

Yeah, you are right. But fuck all these guys is my current feeling. They aren’t making KU better, and that’s what I care about.

Maybe new rules will make this problem less influential moving forward. I, for one, am way past college ball being the cuck for the NBA.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

What I'll remember most about Grimes is just how little I'll remember of him. The empty space where anything interesting or impressive should be.
Deleted User 141

jfish26 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:34 am What I'll remember most about Grimes is just how little I'll remember of him. The empty space where anything interesting or impressive should be.
Yes. And that is becoming the norm for many players.

Probably a decent part of reason why KU ball has mattered less and less to me in recent years. I’ll admit my venom towards the topic, and Grimes in particular is purely due to a potential loss (in part) of something I’ve personally loved and been passionate about for as long as I could, but right now I’m alright with an NCAA reboot.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Let the players make money above the table and this shit that so many hate happens less.