Devon Dotson

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Devon Dotson

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:59 pm
PortlandHawk wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:46 pm I doubt Dotson will be back. He definitely is going to test better than Grimes in all categories and he actually had a really really good year. If Grimes had Devon’s year we would be much less upset about grimes testing. I’m pretty pessimistic now and if he does come back he is definitely gone after next season. We won’t have very good minutes continuity. Two down years in a row looks like the forecast folks.
If Grimes had Devon's year, we're probably talking about lotto.
If Grimes had Devon's year, we might well have been playing last weekend.
LVCHawk

Post by LVCHawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:00 pm Everyone chill . . .

Does this mean Bill isn't taking an NBA job now?
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

As soon as Dot set foot on campus that opportunity and possibility always existed.

Laker job just opened up. Self might as well put his hat in the mix, lol. (that was a joke. I wouldn't wish a coaches first time NBA job with Lebron on even a Mizzou fan.)
Holidaysmore - 2005
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:48 pm
pdub wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:46 pm My guess since early conference is that he stays and is a 1st rounder next year.
And that Quentin could declare but it'd be a mistake.
Still holding on that.
If you're sure he's a first rounder next year then why are you sure he's not this year?

You know the NBA probably thinks they can help develop whatever you think he's going to develop in the next 12months at KU.
Because I feel he isnt there yet but is very likely to get there with some additional seasoning and that NBA teams won't want to draft a guy who is a year away from being there when they can draft a guy this year who is either ready now or a better long term athletic prospect.

The NBA Draft is only 2 rounds and their rosters are only so big. There's only so many new spots available per year.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

twocoach wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:46 pm
pdub wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:46 pm My guess since early conference is that he stays and is a 1st rounder next year.
And that Quentin could declare but it'd be a mistake.
Still holding on that.
If you're sure he's a first rounder next year then why are you sure he's not this year?

You know the NBA probably thinks they can help develop whatever you think he's going to develop in the next 12months at KU.
Because I feel he isnt there yet but is very likely to get there with some additional seasoning and that NBA teams won't want to draft a guy who is a year away from being there when they can draft a guy this year who is either ready now or a better long term athletic prospect.

The NBA Draft is only 2 rounds and their rosters are only so big. There's only so many new spots available per year.
Dude, the draft is cluttered with guys who are drafted because they are a year or 2 away. He's not going to develop anything in college that they can't help him develop in the pros.

And if you guys are so positive he's going to be ready after next year, then they'll see that too....and they'll like getting him at a discounted price for a season or 2.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:52 pm

Dude, the draft is cluttered with guys who are drafted because they are a year or 2 away. He's not going to develop anything in college that they can't help him develop in the pros.

And if you guys are so positive he's going to be ready after next year, then they'll see that too....and they'll like getting him at a discounted price for a season or 2.
"Can't", maybe. But there's something to be said for guys, point guards especially, getting game reps. He'll get 1200 game minutes at KU next year.

Trevon Duval, maybe the best comparison I can think of off the top of my head, got six (6) NBA minutes this year.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

There's also the take that 'This guy would be great if he could shoot, if he's there in the second round we'll take him.'

Dotson works on his jumper all offseason and show a ton of progress on his perimeter shot.

Next year he gets a first round pick.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:19 pm There's also the take that 'This guy would be great if he could shoot, if he's there in the second round we'll take him.'

Dotson works on his jumper all offseason and show a ton of progress on his perimeter shot.

Yes. And he's out of the league by 2022 if that doesn't happen. I think coming back is the right move for him, developmentally. I don't know if he needs the money.
Deleted User 75

jfish26 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:17 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:52 pm

"Can't", maybe. But there's something to be said for guys, point guards especially, getting game reps. He'll get 1200 game minutes at KU next year.

Trevon Duval, maybe the best comparison I can think of off the top of my head, got six (6) NBA minutes this year.
Tyus Jones could've used another year and he's doing fine. 24th overall in his draft.

The players who are good enough to last in the league find a way to develop their games. Coaches deserve a small amount of the credit, but most of the credit belongs to the players who put the work in and dedicate themselves.

There's plenty of examples we could find of 1st rounders or lotto picks that don't last more than a year or 2 as well...it's not as if it's only the 2nd rounders who don't make it.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I agree that there's guys who have made and missed on every path. It's just my opinion that, disregarding the specifics of Dotson's family's financial situation, he seems like the exact right guy to come back.
Deleted User 75

jfish26 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:34 pm I agree that there's guys who have made and missed on every path. It's just my opinion that, disregarding the specifics of Dotson's family's financial situation, he seems like the exact right guy to come back.
I think he will probably come back. He does really well in workouts and that might change.

I also wonder how much of this is that Adidas guys are a little nervous they're the next to be discovered and then not be able to play at all anyway?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:42 pm
jfish26 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:34 pm I agree that there's guys who have made and missed on every path. It's just my opinion that, disregarding the specifics of Dotson's family's financial situation, he seems like the exact right guy to come back.
I think he will probably come back. He does really well in workouts and that might change.

I also wonder how much of this is that Adidas guys are a little nervous they're the next to be discovered and then not be able to play at all anyway?
I honestly don't know the rules - if he pulls out of this draft, and (say) gets ruled ineligible in October...can he play in the NBA? The G League?
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:19 pm There's also the take that 'This guy would be great if he could shoot, if he's there in the second round we'll take him.'

I think his passing is more of a concern right now than his shooting.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Mjl wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:58 pm

I think his passing is more of a concern right now than his shooting.
Dumb to pass to teammates behind you. ;)
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

Dotson would have a chance at going pro, but I think he'll most likely be back based on those comments. If he stays next year, I would assume it would be his last.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:44 pm

I honestly don't know the rules - if he pulls out of this draft, and (say) gets ruled ineligible in October...can he play in the NBA? The G League?
Why would he be ruled ineligible?
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:45 pm
jfish26 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:44 pm

Why would he be ruled ineligible?
You new here?
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

None of KU’s Final Four teams had a one-and-done player. I’d be happy to see a change to letting high school players go straight to the NBA, and scholarship players required to stay a minimum of two years.
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Dotson was on track to generate a lot of buzz next year in the college game. I usually agree to let a kid test the waters, but he could become the dominant PG in the college game and emerge with a future. The worst thing for him to do is be on the edge of relevance in NBA purgatory. It is really about being able to play consistent minutes.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

kubandalum wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:55 am None of KU’s Final Four teams had a one-and-done player. I’d be happy to see a change to letting high school players go straight to the NBA, and scholarship players required to stay a minimum of two years.
Rush was supposed to be.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto