Devon Dotson

Kansas Basketball.
Sparko
Contributor

Re: Devon Dotson

Post by Sparko »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:35 am
kubandalum wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:55 am None of KU’s Final Four teams had a one-and-done player. I’d be happy to see a change to letting high school players go straight to the NBA, and scholarship players required to stay a minimum of two years.
Rush was supposed to be.
Remember the Pulitzer Prize article on "selfish" Rush? Keegs.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

Sparko wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:32 am Dotson was on track to generate a lot of buzz next year in the college game. I usually agree to let a kid test the waters, but he could become the dominant PG in the college game and emerge with a future. The worst thing for him to do is be on the edge of relevance in NBA purgatory. It is really about being able to play consistent minutes.
Move back from the edge...just because he is testing doesn't mean he is getting drafted this year. 90% chance he is in a Kansas uniform next season.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

kubandalum wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:55 am None of KU’s Final Four teams had a one-and-done player. I’d be happy to see a change to letting high school players go straight to the NBA, and scholarship players required to stay a minimum of two years.
Rush was supposed to be.
The fact that he wasn’t helped the team to a title.
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Well Rush got unlucky and we got lucky.
But in the end do you think Rush got the raw end of the deal?
He made tens of millions and is a Kansas basketball legend.

There’s only so much you can do with a million dollars. It’s more than most in the world will ever have the experience of having. In the end though, you are dust. Would you rather your ( and not just you but your teams ) story be told for the end of time or an infinity pool for you and your fam?

I have my choice. Others might want that pool.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

Money.....is not everything.....unless you don't have any at all.

Dotson, like KU teammates Quentin Grimes and Dedric Lawson, who declared for the NBA Draft earlier this week, will be able to return to KU if he pulls his name out of the draft pool by May 29 or if he stays in the June 20 draft, goes undrafted and then severs all ties with his agent.

So is this new. You can stay in the draft, not get drafted, cut the agent and come back to school.
Very cool and a super no brainer move.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Rush was supposed to be.
And what did Kansas do in what was supposed to be Rush's OAD freshman year? Lose as a 4 seed to Bradley in the first round.

What did we do when he was a junior? Win a national title.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:55 am
Sparko wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:32 am Dotson was on track to generate a lot of buzz next year in the college game. I usually agree to let a kid test the waters, but he could become the dominant PG in the college game and emerge with a future. The worst thing for him to do is be on the edge of relevance in NBA purgatory. It is really about being able to play consistent minutes.
Move back from the edge...just because he is testing doesn't mean he is getting drafted this year. 90% chance he is in a Kansas uniform next season.
I think Dotson might be lured to take the jump based on his skills. Would not be surprised to see him in the early second round. I hope he waits for the guaranteed three years.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

It's nice that they can wait and go thru the draft and if they go undrafted they can come back.

I sort of doubt either would go undrafted.
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:55 pm It's nice that they can wait and go thru the draft and if they go undrafted they can come back.

Deleted User 75

Huh?

I don't think that meter applies to my post very much.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:55 pm It's nice that they can wait and go thru the draft and if they go undrafted they can come back.

I think it is great too...

I find it unlikely either will get drafted this year. I would put Dok in the undrafted category too.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
noosh

Post by noosh »

pdub wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:44 pm

There’s only so much you can do with a million dollars. It’s more than most in the world will ever have the experience of having. In the end though, you are dust. Would you rather your ( and not just you but your teams ) story be told for the end of time or an infinity pool for you and your fam?

Officially the dumbest thing ever said on any message board, anywhere.
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

noosh wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:04 am
pdub wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:44 pm

Officially the dumbest thing ever said on any message board, anywhere.
Ironic because you are the dumbest thing.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Well, infinity pool is kind of a goofy example.

A better one would be “would you rather go for team sports glory or put food on your mamma’s table?”

Sure there’s only so much you can do with a million dollars, but if you and your fam come from nothing, suddenly that million (or even just a few grand) can make a world of difference.
Deleted User 75

ousdahl wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:28 am Well, infinity pool is kind of a goofy example.

A better one would be “would you rather go for team sports glory or put food on your mamma’s table?”

Sure there’s only so much you can do with a million dollars, but if you and your fam come from nothing, suddenly that million (or even just a few grand) can make a world of difference.
Yup.

Nothing like rich white people turning thier noses up at a young athlete trying to help their family improve their living conditions.... looks even worse when it's one of the white people who admits they won't enjoy watching these athletes nearly as much if these athletes can be compensated for NIL so that they don't have to make tough decisions like leaving school early or taking money under the table.

Somehow they think a player being allowed to get paid by outside entities taints their love for the game/sport/school....which it doesn't. And even if it does, it's already happening for most of our rotation players.
Last edited by Deleted User 75 on Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:28 am Well, infinity pool is kind of a goofy example.

What percentage of early entrants do you think come from truly abject poverty? I'm guessing it's a minority.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 75

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:36 am

What percentage of early entrants do you think come from truly abject poverty? I'm guessing it's a minority.
JFC
Deleted User 75

Pretty sure most people care more about their family's well being than they do about being talked about/having their stories told on a message board.

And why do those things have to be mutual exclusive?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I would bet Brandon Rush thinks his injury was a blessing in many ways.
After time passes, a story/memory like that is worth more than an extra million ( and actually in his case he likely made more by staying and being a lotto pick the next year ).
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:38 am
PhDhawk wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:36 am

JFC
The point is, if you're family is truly starving, then I totally get it. That seemed to be the case for Diallo, and I get why he'd want to get to the NBA as soon as possible.

But, let's say you're lower middle class or higher and a fringe NBA player, the smarter move may be to get your degree and get set up for life than to take a quick payday...or more likely take a $35,000 a year job that won't help your family out at all.

Some of the players who came from the roughest situations were guys like Mason, Graham, Collins, Jackson, and Traylor. They were all 4 year players, still had/have professional basketball careers, and (I believe) all graduated. They're set up for life, and I'm sure can/have helped out their families plenty. Sometimes patience is important.

Also, look at a lot of our early entrants, Wiggins, Embiid, Henry, etc. they weren't coming from poverty. Now, they were all lottery picks, so them leaving early makes sense, but the trope that ALL these guys leaving early want to take care of their families just isn't true.

I don't know what Dotson and Grimes upbringing was like, but I know they both came from two parent households (most children in poverty have single parents), Grimes mother went to KU, and I believe got a degree, and Grimes has a half brother worth $40 million.

My point is, if you aren't in a dire situation, which is probably more common than actually being in one, it's frequently going to pay off more long term to stay in school...especially if someone is projected to be late second round to undrafted.

You JFC'd me, but I think it's just as, if not more, JFC-worthy to assume that NO CBB players are interested in getting college degrees. That's an incredibly shitty, and potentially racist assumption to make.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.