Another mass shooting

Ugh.
dolomite
Contributor

Re: Another mass shooting

Post by dolomite »

I have nothing against the NRA. They're not responsible for school shootings. They lobby for our right to bear arms. I've never heard school shooters claiming that the NRA made me "do it". The NRA is as much against irresponsible use of firearms as anyone else. They're not responsible for a few nut jobs who have the mistaken idea that shooting up a school and killing is a productive means to promote a screwed up ideology. Maybe the NRA could come with ways to keep guns out of schools, that is, in my opinion the only way to stop the madness and still keep our 2nd amendment rights.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i like how all of a sudden school districts are supposed to have money for increased security when so many are having trouble covering normal operating costs

not to mention paying teachers a reasonable salary
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Most of us know that most school districts are strapped for cash. We know.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

The party of less government spending probably wants the government to spend education dollars on the zillions of dollars of upgrades needed to lock down our schools.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Our government cannot and will not fix this. It has to be up to the folks.

It has to be done at the ground level.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

dolomite wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:02 am I don't know why schools don't work on ways to prevent guns from being brought in. (works on airplanes)
I guess that solution is too pragmatic.
Why do you hate America and the Constitution, Doltomite?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

twocoach wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:32 am The party of less government spending probably wants the government to spend education dollars on the zillions of dollars of upgrades needed to lock down our schools.
All new school upgrades funded by public bonds are required to include: vestibule entrances with two sets of double doors with interior door locks controlled by a button at the transaction window receptionists, upgraded alarm and card key locks at all exterior entrances, a certain number of exterior and interior video surveillance based on square footage of campus, and some sort of perimeter barrier fencing with electronic locks.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Those upgrades are mandatory use of funding prior to any other modifications to HVAC, gyms, facilities, etc.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

That being said, the problem that needs fixing is in the brains of the gunmen. Nobody knows how to do that hut that's where the genesis of the issue lies. I've never seen a gun jump off a table and start killing people by itself.

If anything we need to be more vigilant in recognizing those with mental deficiencies and determining how to deal with them prior to a problem arising.

Guns have been around for a couple centuries. School shootings are a last 20 year (roughly) phenomenon.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

...yet when mass shootings occur elsewhere, other gummints is swift to enact policies to prevent them from happening again.

Cue the onion article “no way to prevent this,” says only nation where this keeps happening...
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

TDub wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:22 pm That being said, the problem that needs fixing is in the brains of the gunmen. Nobody knows how to do that hut that's where the genesis of the issue lies. I've never seen a gun jump off a table and start killing people by itself.

If anything we need to be more vigilant in recognizing those with mental deficiencies and determining how to deal with them prior to a problem arising.

Guns have been around for a couple centuries. School shootings are a last 20 year (roughly) phenomenon.
Should be a non-issue then....since Trump is bringing us the absolute best healthcare system in the world.

I assume it will launch January 2021.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Didn’t the NRA cockblock the CDC from researching gun violence as a public health issue?
Deleted User 62

twocoach wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:32 am The party of less government spending probably wants the government to spend education dollars on the zillions of dollars of upgrades needed to lock down our schools.
Hey, at least the money will find its' way into the correct pockets!
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:18 pm
All new school upgrades funded by public bonds are required to include: vestibule entrances with two sets of double doors with interior door locks controlled by a button at the transaction window receptionists, upgraded alarm and card key locks at all exterior entrances, a certain number of exterior and interior video surveillance based on square footage of campus, and some sort of perimeter barrier fencing with electronic locks.
Uh, yeah, I know. Our district is in the midst of a $79.9 million facility upgrade as a result of these requirements. Paid for by me and the rest of our district so that a bunch of dumbfucks can spend their disposable income on guns and bullets instead of the education of their children.

Imagine the teacher raises and educational programs that could have been paid for with $79.9 million...
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:22 pm That being said, the problem that needs fixing is in the brains of the gunmen. Nobody knows how to do that hut that's where the genesis of the issue lies. I've never seen a gun jump off a table and start killing people by itself.

Imagine the mental health programs that could have been built into schools with our $79.9 million facility upgrade bond. Instead we have one counselor that has to split her time between five elementary schools to go with our buzz-in entryway.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

twocoach wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:45 pm Uh, yeah, I know. Our district is in the midst of a $79.9 million facility upgrade as a result of these requirements. Paid for by me and the rest of our district so that a bunch of dumbfucks can spend their disposable income on guns and bullets instead of the education of their children.

Imagine the teacher raises and educational programs that could have been paid for with $79.9 million...
Is it your position that we should not be doing these upgrades to make the schools safer?

Because you don't seem happy about it. Maybe you don't have children in school.
Deleted User 62

twocoach wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:45 pm
Uh, yeah, I know. Our district is in the midst of a $79.9 million facility upgrade as a result of these requirements. Paid for by me and the rest of our district so that a bunch of dumbfucks can spend their disposable income on guns and bullets instead of the education of their children.

I live in Texas.
If we are going to throw 80m at a school here, it's to build a football stadium.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I forget how difficult it is to have a discussion this day in age. Everyone too split, too hardline and too entrenched.

I'm not against some level of gun control but blaming guns is the easy answer not the real one. That's all I'm saying. Also, I DO believe that gun control becomes a slippery slope very quickly.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

not disagreeing, but required by whom/what?
Deleted User 89

too much truth here
TDub wrote: Guns have been around for a couple centuries. School shootings are a last 20 year (roughly) phenomenon.
would you agree that access to certain kinds of guns has also increased in this timespan? (thanks interwebz)

i don't know that this is the case, but it seems logical