Recruiting 2019

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Recruiting 2019

Post by pdub »

What if the back says 'MICHHAWK SUCKS', still don't care?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c ... 258702001/

"But aside from a handful of Kansas fans who were counting on Hampton to lift them into the top 10 next season and maybe a few over-traveled NBA scouts who will now have to make a couple extra trips Down Under, who is actually mad?"

"Certainly not most college basketball fans, who see players of Hampton’s quality come and go every year and mostly leave a small impact on the sport. And certainly not the NCAA, which has overtly taken the position that it would prefer players like Hampton to go straight to the NBA and that those who don’t really want to spend a year in college under the current system should take advantage of whatever opportunities they may have overseas or in the NBA G-League."

"But there wasn’t a guarantee either in coming to college, where some players like him have increased their value, others have decreased and some acted like they simply didn’t want to be there.

And for the last group, the NCAA has been saying all along: Don’t come. It’s about time someone finally took them up on that. "
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Yep
People are saying Hampton's decision puts pressure on the NCAA to change. I think it does the opposite. They dont need Hampton and they are less pressured to be forced to pay players of a lesser caliber. The tourney will always have the same size viewing audience. A few teams may have a few more woshy washy fans stop tuning in but that isnt enough to make the NCAA fork over tons of cash to athletes.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 2:36 pm What if the back says 'MICHHAWK SUCKS', still don't care?
we NEED MICHHAWK SUCKS!!!!!!!
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

College sports are tied to rabid, alumni fan bases not 'one and done' players.
Holidaysmore - 2005
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

holidaysmore wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 3:54 pm College sports are tied to rabid, alumni fan bases not 'one and done' players.
Which is what creates the artificial "market value" for college players.

The 500-600th best players playing professional basketball get paid $30K a year because no one gives a shit about the Ft. Wayne Mad Ants.

Seniors in HS ranked outside the top 50 in their own class could get paid a lot more than that to go to a college team because rabid alumni fan bases want to win.

It doesn't really matter quantitatively how good a HS senior is at basketball, meaning, the guy ranked #1 in a HS recruiting class in the OAD era, would have the same value as the guy ranked #101 in a world where the top 100 players all play professionally rather than go to college, in this artificial market in regard to teams, coaches, and fans wanting that player.

Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Must protect the billions for the old white men.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 4:04 pm ...because no one gives a shit about the Ft. Wayne Mad Ants.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 4:17 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 4:04 pm ...because no one gives a shit about the Ft. Wayne Mad Ants.
I guess I chose a bad example.

https://fortwayne.gleague.nba.com/2017- ... ew-top-10/
The Mad Ants finished the season ranked sixth in the NBA G League in attendance with an average of 3,159 fans per game. The Mad Ants were one of only six teams in the G League to see an increase in attendance over the 2016-17 season.
I wonder how much money Mad Ants players are making on their likeness?

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Ask their account ant.
Also how about red shirt upper left corner?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

that's a 5-star double chin.

Wonder how much she can make off her likeness as a natural neck brace model?

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The Mad Ants crowd is so fucked if she decides to go to Tin Caps games instead.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

shindig wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:33 am I'm just a little worried. I mean if Dot and Grimes both stay in the draft, then we really don't have a starting point guard..and Garrett doesn't count.
how does marcus garrett not count?
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

pdub wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 4:24 pm Ask their account ant.
Also how about red shirt upper left corner?
Gutter?
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

Gutter? Pot calling the kettle black? I may be a fat ass but rumor has it you're not exactly Manute Bol.
Forgetting the G league reference/s, I wonder why PhD failed to mention that the majority of the top 500-600 players who are playing overseas make a very nice living.
One a side note, am I going to get attacked because I feel the kid in seat 9 is holding a phallic balloon and am wondering what the hell is up (or down) with that?
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

What ever you think of RJ's decision it is still a direct reflect on the NCAA's rules. The shoe companies money and it's impact on college basketball is a know fact. Pretty sure Under Armour's money meant more to RJ.

Darius Bazley was on no team and worked as an intern for New Balance in a carefully constructed endorsement deal that will pay $1 million. He was last years one to skip college. Now he was suppose to go to Syracuse but ended up just sitting out a year to make a mill?!!? Didn't even play...at first there was talk of going to G league but then someone with brains said Fuck that.
Last edited by hartjack8 on Wed May 29, 2019 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

twocoach wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 3:11 pm Yep
People are saying Hampton's decision puts pressure on the NCAA to change. I think it does the opposite. They dont need Hampton and they are less pressured to be forced to pay players of a lesser caliber. The tourney will always have the same size viewing audience. A few teams may have a few more woshy washy fans stop tuning in but that isnt enough to make the NCAA fork over tons of cash to athletes.
The tourney will always have the same size viewing audience, just like the Titanic is unsinkable.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

The NCAA isn't going to "fork over tons of money to athletes". It's the schools, boosters, shoe companies, etc.
NCAA has nothing to lose other than the "integrity" of college athletics.
Most people would agree the one and done rule blows. Overall, it blows for NCAA basketball, blows for NBA basketball, blows for the athletes, blows for the fans.
That being said, it's going to blow for the NCAA if a kid can go straight to the NBA out of HS.
People are going to honestly tell me that they feel the NCAA product would have been just as marketable last season if Zion and the rest of the top 10-15 recruits went straight to the NBA? I'm not buying it.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Don't care about Zion.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

holidaysmore wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 3:54 pm College sports are tied to rabid, alumni fan bases not 'one and done' players.
I'm concerned that rabid alumni fan bases got to be rabid in the first place cuz their teams featured some of the most talented and competitive young players around.

I'm not sure college ball can really afford to diminish the quality of game and competition.

I mean how many DII schools and community colleges have rabid hoops fan bases?

In a sense, I like college hoops the way it is, and I'm for preserving a certain status quo - with the status quo being college hoops as the second best league in the land. Part of that status quo, and part of being the second best league in the land, is - eeeek! - players getting compensated. To pretend otherwise is a failure to recognize the reality of college hoops.

so I guess the part of the status quo I might want to change is the whole head-in-the-sand approach to the idea of college hoops amateurism. The practice of compensation is, and has been, fairly ubiquitous in college hoops. I struggle to see how accepting it and legitimizing that does anything to diminish the quality of game play.

You know, that same quality of game play that made all those alumni fan bases rabid in the first place.