Quentin Grimes is returning to KU

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Quentin Grimes is returning to KU

Post by jfish26 »

I would guess Grimes ends up abroad, not sitting a year somewhere.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

Mjl wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:20 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:36 pmweird
Not weird at all. He was told throughout high school how amazing he was. Suddenly after a year at Kansas he's not. Instead of looking inwardly he seems to think Kansas is the problem.

Good riddance.
Something was not a good fit. Not sure what if any responsibility Self, the rest of the coaching staff, his teammates, the school had, or if it was 100% on QG.
Kid had a choice and chose KU. That's the main reason why he needs to look in the mirror first and place blame on other's second.
I wish him well. He wanted to play for and represent the University of Kansas so in that regard he'll always have a fan in me.
Last edited by Deleted User 266 on Thu May 30, 2019 6:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

Paul1 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:16 am
Mjl wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:20 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:36 pmweird
Not weird at all. He was told throughout high school how amazing he was. Suddenly after a year at Kansas he's not. Instead of looking inwardly he seems to think Kansas is the problem.

Good riddance.

When I have tried to give him the benefit of MY doubt and felt Kansas WAS a PART of the problem I am drawn back to this interview.....

Listen at the 1:06 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUaA-CByT64
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It's possible that Grimes saw the rise of Ochai, knew that Garrett would be an upperclassman and healthy and Dotson had secured the point guard role.

Coming off the bench wouldn't necessarily be a disaster but the threat of that might have been too much for him to handle.

He had all the opportunity to claim a spot. The system might not be his exact fit but other players have worked in the system before and he got plenty of clock.

If I'm a NBA GM/decision maker, I look at this and think, 'will he give up later if things don't work out immediately?'
noosh

Post by noosh »

pdub wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:45 am
If I'm a NBA GM/decision maker, I look at this and think, 'will he give up later if things don't work out immediately?'
LOL NBA GMs everywhere breathe a sigh of relief that their jobs arent in jeopardy.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

He absolutely had to make it work next year and bailed instead. He slides completely off the radar. Maybe a year of working out and getting his mind right will help. He was a large part of the softness problem last year IMHO. The game’s intensity overwhelmed him at times.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jfish26 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 5:46 am I would guess Grimes ends up abroad, not sitting a year somewhere.
then why bother preserving eligibility? Why not just get the draft process out the way?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:45 am It's possible that Grimes saw the rise of Ochai, knew that Garrett would be an upperclassman and healthy and Dotson had secured the point guard role.

Coming off the bench wouldn't necessarily be a disaster but the threat of that might have been too much for him to handle.

He had all the opportunity to claim a spot. The system might not be his exact fit but other players have worked in the system before and he got plenty of clock.

Oh Lord, he wasn't coming off the bench. This was a hissy fit over not being on the ball, and stubbornness about facing the facts of his own limitations as a player.

Maybe it'll work out for him - maybe he's got tools he didn't show here, and being someone's 1 will unlock those. I think it's more likely, though, that whether he makes $5mm or $30mm in his career will depend on his accepting that he's a role guy, not a lead guy.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:24 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 5:46 am I would guess Grimes ends up abroad, not sitting a year somewhere.
then why bother preserving eligibility? Why not just get the draft process out the way?
As a general matter, it makes sense to leave options open. It's why I'm sort of surprised we haven't tried to get Doke a medical RS for last year.

I suspect Grimes was actually afraid of getting drafted, and having some team he can't choose hold his rights on a shitty deal.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don't see why it would be so 'oh lord' surprising to see him beaten out for a starting spot.
I could see both Ochai and Garrett being better players next year.
And if that had happened, do we think Self would try and appease Grimes again?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yeah I guess he keeps options open.

and yeah I've been meaning to ask about Dok's medical redshirt.

what about Grimey's potential for a hardship waiver? What's the mileage radius required, and what schools are within that radius from The Woodlands, Texas?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

What's the hardship? I found out I'm not very good at basketball and a little fat?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:28 am I don't see why it would be so 'oh lord' surprising to see him beaten out for a starting spot.
well Grimes should improve too, right?

and even if he didn't improve as much as those other guys, he could prob hold onto his spot, at least to start the season, just cuz he's the incumbent....right?

From a purely basketball standpoint, transferring doesn't make sense. Is there really a better option than being a starting guard on a top 10 team?

either there was some falling out. Or maybe he knows something we don't, such as, he's about to be beat out by Garrett and Och. shrug.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The only thing that Grimes is clearly better at than the two of those guys is three point shooting.
Garrett can actually dribble and get to the rack and finish hard - Grimes showed zero signs of that.
I think Chai could end up being a better shooter, is more athletic, and I think has serious potential to be a better defender. And Chai only played half the season - was just thrust into the spot.

If Grimes had come back and the season opened with Ochai and Garrett starting, I wouldn't have given it a second thought. It would have made sense.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:33 am
pdub wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:28 am I don't see why it would be so 'oh lord' surprising to see him beaten out for a starting spot.
well Grimes should improve too, right?

and even if he didn't improve as much as those other guys, he could prob hold onto his spot, at least to start the season, just cuz he's the incumbent....right?

From a purely basketball standpoint, transferring doesn't make sense. Is there really a better option than being a starting guard on a top 10 team?

either there was some falling out. Or maybe he knows something we don't, such as, he's about to be beat out by Garrett and Och. shrug.
I think he really does see himself as a 1. The only thing, then, that he's right about is that he was not going to be our 1 next year.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:32 am What's the hardship? I found out I'm not very good at basketball and a little fat?
ha yeah, I dunno specifically. just throwing potential moves at the wall.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:34 am The only thing that Grimes is clearly better at than the two of those guys is three point shooting.
Garrett can actually dribble and get to the rack and finish hard - Grimes showed zero signs of that.
I think Chai could end up being a better shooter, is more athletic, and I think has serious potential to be a better defender. And Chai only played half the season - was just thrust into the spot.

If Grimes had come back and the season opened with Ochai and Garrett starting, I wouldn't have given it a second thought. It would have made sense.
I don't disagree with any of the basketball stuff you said (although I'll note that Garrett's limitations as a shooter are toxic to offense on their own, and devastating when he's on the floor with other average-ish shooters).

But - and this is what's annoying - the Grimes that Bill fell head-over-boots in love with is in there somewhere. And showed himself in the wild, under Bill's tutelage, less than a calendar year ago. I am sad that he didn't have the stones to see it through here (and suspect this will end up being a very costly decision).
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"I am sad that he didn't have the stones to see it through here."

Agreed.
I'm not saying confidently that he would have lost his spot but the threat was there - and I don't think it would have crushed his stock if it had happened but maybe in his mind, it would have.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:30 am yeah I guess he keeps options open.

and yeah I've been meaning to ask about Dok's medical redshirt.

what about Grimey's potential for a hardship waiver? What's the mileage radius required, and what schools are within that radius from The Woodlands, Texas?
Rice
Houston
Texas A&I
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
PortlandHawk

Post by PortlandHawk »

https://twitter.com/goodmanhoops/status ... 82913?s=21

If Calipari can’t keep his own kid, can we really fault Self for not persuading Grimes to stay?