Post by jfish26 »

jfish26
Contributor

Re: Shoe money trial

Post by jfish26 »

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

So that's not the best look. Direct contact with coaching staff.

Like someone else said who has a blue checkmark, don't remember who. Louisville still had the worst part of the day, but Kansas wasn't in the best shape either.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Eh, nothing today changed anything for us.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Just the fact that there was a confirmation of a meeting with Self and staff makes me a little more worrisome. It may end up being nothing since it's so widespread. But still not a good look in a way.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Not a good look, definitely. But on the plus side, if the guy had notes that said, "Met with Bill Self today, he said to up the offer to Preston and asked what Maryland is offering Silvio," those would have come out.

I am not worried at all based on what is known so far. I am worried about what else might be out there. So I'm happy that this is all that came out of Gassnola.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

From what I've read so far, where is the crime?
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Defrauding KU, of course.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

LOL
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I'm unable to copy tweets to here for some reason at the moment. Phone acting up. But there is some definite bombshell stuff happening now.

Basically KU staff unaware of possible payment to SDS guardian. Preston lied to KU to make wire transfers sent to his mom sound legitimate. Preston's Dodge Charger registered to Preston's grandmother, who was deceased.

Self and staff and adidas rep Gassnola did regularly talk about recruits though.

Seems more and more right now, KU will be in the clear, but you still never know.

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Thanks for the update.

I was told, over and over that Preston and his family were shady. That about reassures that.

I wonder what that means by “talking about recruits.” That is such a vague statement.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

holidaysmore wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:23 pm Thanks for the update.

I was told, over and over that Preston and his family were shady. That about reassures that.

I wonder what that means by “talking about recruits.” That is such a vague statement.
It's pretty obvious what it means. Gotta give Santa your Christmas list. Thankfully, all indications are that the staff limited any exposure by doing these in person where hard evidence will be minimal to nonexistent.

Most of us here won't think any less of Self for meeting with Adidas reps to discuss recruits. I think most of us accept that this stuff goes on and it doesn't make anyone a bad person. Self is a smart dude. If he took the approach of "here is who we want, don't include me or my staff in any discussions about what happens from this point forward." then I think we are doing things the right way.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Jesus Illy, the guy was a former coach of an AAU team and with Adidas he watches a lot of hoop. It's no secret who we want, the offers are listed all over.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Yeah, Illy makes it sound like HCBS is meeting someone at a Denny's parking lot to buy weed.
Deleted User 75

Geezer wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:12 pm Jesus Illy, the guy was a former coach of an AAU team and with Adidas he watches a lot of hoop. It's no secret who we want, the offers are listed all over.
Sounds like you'd have preferred if Self gave the response Roy gave? "By golly none of my players ever took money!"
Deleted User 75

I'm sure Self just wanted to get the guys opinion on a few players. Nothing to see here.

Better?

(We're still pretending to be surprised players take money, right?...and only pitino, miller, and calipari knew it was happening on the regular.)
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Don't make mountains out of molehills.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Gassnola was adamant no one on Kansas coaching staff knew about payments although he regular talk recruits with Bill Self and staff</p>&mdash; Dan Wetzel (@DanWetzel) <a href="https://twitter.com/DanWetzel/status/10 ... w">October 11, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Deleted User 75

Geezer wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:40 pm Don't make mountains out of molehills.
That wasn't my intent.

And just for clarification, I personally wouldn't care if Self handed them the money himself. I do not care if these guys take money to come to KU or elsewhere. They deserve it.
Deleted User 83

Post by Deleted User 83 »

Everyone knows Bill only pays in the form of Iguana Dip. Case closed.