Quentin Grimes is returning to KU

Kansas Basketball.
PortlandHawk

Re: Quentin Grimes is returning to KU

Post by PortlandHawk »

He should just give it up and come back. I know he won’t but it’s what he should do.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

At this point, if you had the choice between Grimes and an unproven Jalen Wilson, who'd you choose?
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

pdub wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:40 pm At this point, if you had the choice between Grimes and an unproven Jalen Wilson, who'd you choose?
Grimes.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:40 pm At this point, if you had the choice between Grimes and an unproven Jalen Wilson, who'd you choose?
At this point I'd take almost anyone over grimes. And I almost always pick the current KU guy over an unknown HS recruit...and I think I'm in the minority about that.

But, I just can't really see a likely scenario where Grimes coming back is a good thing. And that's assuming his academics even allow it.

He was supposed to be the teams 3rd option and was treated that way last year. Dude got treated more like a senior than a freshman. I can't picture him coming back next year to be (at best) the 5th option, and borderline starter. I mean, if he's blasting KU and Self to the media for holding him back, I can't see him happily accepting a reduced role...but the fact is, Dotson is THE PG, Agbaji has already passed him by, and Garrett is more versatile and has a specialty (defense) that is far superior to anything Grimes has shown. Grimes was given almost 28 mpg last year...if he comes back he probably deserves <25 mpg based on performance...and that's without knowing what we get outta the incoming freshmen.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I'd take Grimes.
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

I'd go with Grimes. Why? He has a year of experience in Self's system.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

We got 3 open schollies. Lets have both.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

lobster wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:59 pm
He's also...hard as it might be to believe...still probably much more talented. I know I'm a broken record, but I still think the good stuff is in there somewhere.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Let's have both"

That wasn't an answer to the question.
We got 3 open schollies! Let's have Anthony Edwards, Jaden McDaniels and Scottie Lewis.
Deleted User 104

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:52 pm And that's assuming his academics even allow it.
Trust me, if they really want him to come back, they will find a way to "fix" the academic problem. It's not all that important if you're a starter at KU. Just sayin'.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I mean, I'd trust Self on the decision, but I don't see much difference between Grimes coming back and Vick coming back last year.

Hell, Vick seemed to eat an even bigger piece of humble pie, and that was only enough to keep him in line for half a season or less.

The humble, hard working, competitive guy who could come back and really be the player Grimes could be, doesn't seem like the same guy who blames his lack of success on a coach and system. Those seem mutually exclusive to me. If you can't accept blame for your own mediocrity, how are you gonna handle taking a reduced role and getting passed by, by guys who you were supposed to be better than?

Deleted User 104

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:03 pm
lobster wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:59 pm
He's also...hard as it might be to believe...still probably much more talented. I know I'm a broken record, but I still think the good stuff is in there somewhere.
There's no doubt about his talent. He just hit a wall / had a not great freshman year. I think he would become a great player if he stayed 1 or 2 more years.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I doubt his talent.

If he hit a wall it happened after 1 game.

Deleted User 104

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:06 pm I mean, I'd trust Self on the decision, but I don't see much difference between Grimes coming back and Vick coming back last year.
I'm not sure that's a real apples to apples comparison.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

And...most importantly, he doesn't want to be here. He prefers sitting out a year and then playing somewhere else over coming back to KU and playing right away. You don't want a guy who doesn't want to be a Jayhawk.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

lobster wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:11 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:06 pm I mean, I'd trust Self on the decision, but I don't see much difference between Grimes coming back and Vick coming back last year.
It's not a good comparison in the sense that they're probably two very very different young men.

It is a good comparison in that it's someone who wants to leave, thinks he's better than he actually is, would have to take a different role and change his entire mindset to be a part of the team.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:15 pm
lobster wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:11 pm
It's not a good comparison in the sense that they're probably two very very different young men.

It is a good comparison in that it's someone who wants to leave, thinks he's better than he actually is, would have to take a different role and change his entire mindset to be a part of the team.
I get that sense too. Rumors that Grimes didn't have an open ticket to returning.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

All signs point to QG does not want to be at KANSAS or in college at all. So for that reason alone give me the other kid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

What if you had the choice between Sherron Collins and Jalen Wilson?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Pretty ridiculous. Grimes is the 1st or 2nd greatest JAYHAWK since D-Man.