Quentin Grimes is returning to KU

Kansas Basketball.
PhDhawk

Re: Quentin Grimes is returning to KU

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:46 pm Pretty ridiculous. Grimes is the 1st or 2nd greatest JAYHAWK since D-Man.
potd

If you post it about 8 more times in this thread, it'd be post of the month.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:51 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:46 pm Pretty ridiculous. Grimes is the 1st or 2nd greatest JAYHAWK since D-Man.
potd

If you post it about 8 more times in this thread, it'd be post of the month.
Some will disagree about Grimes, but here's the thing: I only care about the name on the front of the jersey (KANSAS) and not the back.

Plus, a year ago, Grimes was a SENIOR in high school. SENIORS are my favorite.
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

Darrel Arthur, Brandon Rush and Julian Wright all had better freshman seasons than Grimes, but stayed 1 or 2 more years. I just don't get this "rush to the NBA" thing.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:03 pm
lobster wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:59 pm
pdub wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:40 pm At this point, if you had the choice between Grimes and an unproven Jalen Wilson, who'd you choose?
I'd go with Grimes. Why? He has a year of experience in Self's system.
He's also...hard as it might be to believe...still probably much more talented. I know I'm a broken record, but I still think the good stuff is in there somewhere.
I agree with this. the problem with grimes is he doesnt excel at anything. when you have a strength it overshadows your weaknesses or inconsistencies. grimes doesnt have any strengths tho. but he also isnt terrible at anything and he still has the potential to be good at everything. he just needs to piece it all together.

whereas other players can lean on their strengths while they improve the weaknesses in their game. for example marcus garrett established himself as a lockdown defensive player while he works to improve the rest of his game.. which appears to have more value than grimes who is just average at everything he does at this point
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I don't know that Self is the guy to unlock any of the good stuff. And, to no fault of Bill's.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

Bill saw something in him and I'm sorry but I feel Bill and the staff bear at least a tiny bit of responsibility for his struggle/s if they were going to get any credit for his success/es.

"We feel Quentin Grimes is as good as guard as there is in high school basketball," Self said. "He's got great size. He's got point guard vision. He can really handle the ball. He reminds me of a guy that I coached at Illinois, Deron Williams, but probably a better scorer than Deron at this stage."

"We think Quentin will be an impact guy for us and be one of the premier guards in the country early in his career," Self said. "Jerrance (Howard) was the point man with him and we've seen him play a lot, not only through his AAU program but also with his high school team. He's one of the more complete players that we will have recruited in our time here. I anticipate the transition from high school to college pretty seamless for him."
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I don't disagree with that. "No fault" was probably too strong.

I firmly believe that Bill gave Q the opportunity to play on the ball in practice. Q obviously didn't show him anything there.

But, on the flip side, it's not like Charlie was working out there, either, so why not try it? This wasn't a "don't fix if not broken" scenario.

However, Q and his camp have shown 0 fortitude throughout their entire time tied w/ KU. It's an overreaction to have such sour grapes towards Bill when Q was given the longest freshman leash we've seen.
Judy_Jayhawk

Post by Judy_Jayhawk »

https://thespun.com/big-12/kansas-jayha ... it-recruit

From all indications, Jalen Wilson’s official visit to Kansas could not have gone any better. There is a void at the small forward spot and with Wilson’s ability to slide up or down a position and with the recent transfer of Quentin Grimes, an even bigger opportunity might be available to Wilson than previously thought. Kansas is deficient in the perimeter shot-making department, a role in which he could definitely help.Toss in the fact that KU was a favorite school of his growing up and the Jayhawks may be difficult to beat.

Evans isn’t the only analyst picking Kansas to win the sweepstakes for Wilson. Jerry Meyer of 247Sports also believes the Jayhawks will land the four-star forward.

North Carolina and Oklahoma State remain on Wilson’s list of choices, yet the edge is most likely with Kansas.
PortlandHawk

Post by PortlandHawk »

I think about the guys that have played guard at KU, people like RussRob, Chalmers, Frank, etc who struggled greatly at times. I remember when dudes could barely get the ball past half court. I am think some of them considered transferring. Guess what? A lot of those dudes became very good at KU.

I know grimes won’t be back and there are probably some reasons we don’t know that came into play. I do think that he could be very good if he came back, but he or someone with influence over him is a flakey prima dona and it will only hurt him in the long run. If he ends up going to another college and sitting out a year, he is losing a key year of play and development that he could get at KU. If he is in school three years no matter wha, might as well play three. Maybe I’m naive.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

what's Q's work ethic like?

is he a gym rat?

could he maybe use a little conditioning and reps and general discipline, instead of blaming his own mediocre play on a hall of fame coach?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

PortlandHawk wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:48 pm If he is in school three years no matter what, might as well play three. Maybe I’m naive.
This is why I'm a bit confused at the situation too.
If he actually stays in college, this seems counter productive to making it to the pros.
It's possible ( I don't see it but it's possible ) he would have found his gear/role at Kansas and been able to get drafted after his sophomore year.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:49 am
If he actually stays in college, this seems counter productive to making it to the pros.
take it to the F the NCAA thread.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Grimes is the kinda dude who it's clear he wants zero to do with college.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PortlandHawk wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:48 pm I think about the guys that have played guard at KU, people like RussRob, Chalmers, Frank, etc who struggled greatly at times. I remember when dudes could barely get the ball past half court. I am think some of them considered transferring. Guess what? A lot of those dudes became very good at KU.

I know grimes won’t be back and there are probably some reasons we don’t know that came into play. I do think that he could be very good if he came back, but he or someone with influence over him is a flakey prima dona and it will only hurt him in the long run. If he ends up going to another college and sitting out a year, he is losing a key year of play and development that he could get at KU. If he is in school three years no matter wha, might as well play three. Maybe I’m naive.
Not naive. This all seems spot on.

Despite all the truth bombs you dropped, there's no chance of Grimes playing again for KU. I think it shows how far past the point of no return his camp (and the staff?) is/was.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Overseas makes no sense. Why pull out of the draft then.
He'll just go the Newman route.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

I thought The Truth was the second best since D-Man...I swear I think we already had this discussion
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Mjl wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:18 am Overseas makes no sense. Why pull out of the draft then.
It tells you just how lost he is upstairs that he views pushing the draft back by two years as a better option than taking his medicine and having a good sophomore year here.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Paul1 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:33 pm Bill saw something in him and I'm sorry but I feel Bill and the staff bear at least a tiny bit of responsibility for his struggle/s if they were going to get any credit for his success/es.

"We feel Quentin Grimes is as good as guard as there is in high school basketball," Self said. "He's got great size. He's got point guard vision. He can really handle the ball. He reminds me of a guy that I coached at Illinois, Deron Williams, but probably a better scorer than Deron at this stage."

"We think Quentin will be an impact guy for us and be one of the premier guards in the country early in his career," Self said. "Jerrance (Howard) was the point man with him and we've seen him play a lot, not only through his AAU program but also with his high school team. He's one of the more complete players that we will have recruited in our time here. I anticipate the transition from high school to college pretty seamless for him."
All that adds up to is "we think he has great potential" and Self was right, he does have great potential. Grimes just wasn't able to capitalize on it. Your size is only a plus if you learn how to utilize it. Your PG vision is only a plus if you learn when to do it. Your ball handling is only a plus if you can do it when pressured by like-talented athletes. You can tell an athlete everything they need to do to capitalize on their potential but ultimately, it falls on the athlete to do it. If he doesn't have the between the ears skills needed to figure out how to slow down his mind and capitalize on his abilities then he will not reach his potential.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:13 pm
Mjl wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:18 am Overseas makes no sense. Why pull out of the draft then.
It tells you just how lost he is upstairs that he views pushing the draft back by two years as a better option than taking his medicine and having a good sophomore year here.
Why? He's more likely to be prepared to go to the NBA after two years than he will after one. From what I saw last year, he needs more than a year to be ready. He has a lot of improvement to make.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Right.
But wouldn't playing two years of college ball with a chance of playing only one year of college ball be better than sitting out a year and then playing one year of college ball for a guy like Grimes?