Woodland at the US Open

Other Sports.
Geezer

Woodland at the US Open

Post by Geezer »

Leader at the halfway point.

Holy crap another birdie at his 18th
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
NewtonHawk11

Re: Woodland at the US Open

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

His birdie at 18 was phenomenal. If he found his putter, then watch out.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

It was pure pleasure watching Woodland finish out his round yesterday. Really, really hope he can keep his improved putting going another two days.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

Now one day. Today.
Rose very well may be the only one who has a shot if Woodland brings his A game today.
Would love to see Woodland win a nice title/paycheck/trophy.
Beak 'em!
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Biggest day of his professional life
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I’m super nervous for Gary. But if he can avoid a blowup hole, he’ll have a great shot.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Koepka is on fire, but so is Woodland. Going to be a great final round
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Brooks can go ahead and stop killing majors now.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Nerves are setting it. Back to back bad decisions off the tee in a row.

At least Brooks has slowed down.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

WINNA Chicken dinna!
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Love it.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Congrats Gary!
Just Ledoux it
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Man that 2nd shot at 14 won him the tournament. To be able to have a 5 footer for birdie after carrying the bunker was huge considering Koepka had a par there.

That chip at 17 was fantastic, if he made that, he wins the tournament for sure.

But Gary did what he did all week. Scramble like crazy. #1 for the tournament. Didn't make many mistakes, and when he did, it didn't carry over much. He got a little wild on the start of the back 9.

But he started off as well as he could, basically keeping Koepka at bay after his hot start and he let it get close there for a bit, but really finished strong from hole 13 on.

Was awesome hearing all the Rock Chalks thrown Woodland's way.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/26 ... n-champion

"A Division II basketball player at Washburn University, Woodland wouldn't let a broken finger suffered in practice stop him from playing against his dream school, Kansas, in a preseason game in Allen Fieldhouse.

"He played with his fingers taped together," Linda said. "He played through every injury ever. He never quits."
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:37 am Man that 2nd shot at 14 won him the tournament. To be able to have a 5 footer for birdie after carrying the bunker was huge considering Koepka had a par there.

That chip at 17 was fantastic, if he made that, he wins the tournament for sure.

But Gary did what he did all week. Scramble like crazy. #1 for the tournament. Didn't make many mistakes, and when he did, it didn't carry over much. He got a little wild on the start of the back 9.

But he started off as well as he could, basically keeping Koepka at bay after his hot start and he let it get close there for a bit, but really finished strong from hole 13 on.

Was awesome hearing all the Rock Chalks thrown Woodland's way.
Gary's play was astronomical this week because Brooks was excellent. Brooks 3 shots ahead of the field, and Gary 3 shots ahead of that.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I have never seen a better final round. Watson and Nicklaus was pretty spectacular in 1977, but I can’t believe how he handled the pressure. And to birdie and beat Woods’ record. Man.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

That's probably bias speaking there and that's fine. Because that round was really freaking good. As CNB said, Koepka was 3 clear of the field, and Gary was 3 shots ahead of that.

But there are some right off the top that I think are better. Granted, I'm not old enough for Jack in 86. Watson in 77 or Arnie in 60. But these are just a few.

Stenson and Phil going back and forth at the British in 2016. They both were 7 clear of the field by the turn or so and just went at it back and forth on every hole. Pretty incredible to watch.

Spieth closing with his outstanding final 4 holes or so to win the 17 British. Started like 3 up to start the day, fell to one back after some bad holes, but then nearly aced the 14th, 50 foot putt for eagle on 15, birdied 16 and birdied 17. 5 under in 4 holes.

May vs Woods in 2000 PGA. Some relatively unknown guy Bob May went neck and neck with Prime Tiger in epic fashion. This was when Tiger was winning the US Open by 15 strokes and the British by 8, so for an unknown guy to do that was impressive. They were back and forth and ended the match with a 3-hole playoff where Tiger went -1 and May went even par.

Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Thanks for linking that article pdub, it's a good read.

From that article, Woodland on college hoops:

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=26990528
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Why I think it was the best personal Open final is because of the extremes. Win and be a legend; lose and be forgotten. The pressure on a tough course was beyond anything I can imagine. He also defeated several weaknesses in his game at the same time.
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

The story of Amy, Woodland's inspiration.
https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/27 ... nspiration
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke