2019 NFL Season

Kansas Football.
twocoach

Re: 2019 NFL Season

Post by twocoach »

Take any fan complaining about Luck quitting the sport where his body is being ravaged by defenders paid to try to end his career and ability to walk upright and give them $100 million and they would quit their easy desk job on the spot.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

As many who have stood on the sidelines for college and NFL games have noted, the car crash that happens on every play at that level is staggering and memorable, and not always in a good way.

I played NAIA football here in Kansas. The talent level is a between D2 and D3. We had some guys who played D1 on our team and some guys who were 2nd string guys at D2 that started for us. But the sounds I heard and were a part of my team there always stick out. Plenty of times, I'd hear the loudest collision on the sidelines, and both guys pop up laughing saying they'd seem them on the next play. My team had a couple of NAIA All-American guys on my team, one at safety, the other a RB. One time in practice, our 1's were against each other and our safety blitzed, and the sound that was made when the RB met him at the line was something that I can still hear 10 years later.

In a game at that level, I got hit harder than I ever had in my life on a drag route across the middle by a LB who was 6'1 and about 260lbs as I was a 6' 190lb receiver. Even some guys on my team were wondering how I was still standing and not still on the ground. But it hurt like an SOB.

I can't even imagine the impact that those guys have at that level when guys are at the top level. Stronger, faster and more athletic than ever before.

Anyone who gives Luck a hard time has never come close to playing at a high level of football because unless you've been there, you truly don't know the toll it takes on you, and yes, that even includes QBs.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Oh, to be clear, I wasn't trying to minimize what Luck has gone through or that he hasn't taken some shots. It is just different than a RB or even a WR. Which, it should be.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:53 am As many who have stood on the sidelines for college and NFL games have noted, the car crash that happens on every play at that level is staggering and memorable, and not always in a good way.

I played NAIA football here in Kansas. The talent level is a between D2 and D3. We had some guys who played D1 on our team and some guys who were 2nd string guys at D2 that started for us. But the sounds I heard and were a part of my team there always stick out. Plenty of times, I'd hear the loudest collision on the sidelines, and both guys pop up laughing saying they'd seem them on the next play. My team had a couple of NAIA All-American guys on my team, one at safety, the other a RB. One time in practice, our 1's were against each other and our safety blitzed, and the sound that was made when the RB met him at the line was something that I can still hear 10 years later.

In a game at that level, I got hit harder than I ever had in my life on a drag route across the middle by a LB who was 6'1 and about 260lbs as I was a 6' 190lb receiver. Even some guys on my team were wondering how I was still standing and not still on the ground. But it hurt like an SOB.

I can't even imagine the impact that those guys have at that level when guys are at the top level. Stronger, faster and more athletic than ever before.

Anyone who gives Luck a hard time has never come close to playing at a high level of football because unless you've been there, you truly don't know the toll it takes on you, and yes, that even includes QBs.
"Anyone who gives Luck a hard time has never come close to playing at a high level of football".
Ummmmm. Steve Beuerlein says hello.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/steve-beue ... 28271.html
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I think Buerlein is thinking about it from a team perspective, which is fine and valid. But he's the ONLY guy that I've seen not defend Luck. Luck just opened the door for a lot of people that have been borderline on retiring for years. It's no longer about doing what the owner, coaches and fans want. Players have more control over themselves and they are doing what they feel is best.

Buerlein is not coming at this from the individual perspective and he is from the old-school mentality of do everything for the "Shield" and the guys on the team. Luck has been through one thing after another. Luck is done because his joy and passion for the game is gone. And if I'm the other 52 guys in that locker room, I think I'd much rather have a guy who is all about it then not in it and just in it for money.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Paul1 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:02 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:53 am As many who have stood on the sidelines for college and NFL games have noted, the car crash that happens on every play at that level is staggering and memorable, and not always in a good way.

"Anyone who gives Luck a hard time has never come close to playing at a high level of football".
Ummmmm. Steve Beuerlein says hello.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/steve-beue ... 28271.html
Steve Beuerlein made a total of $22 million in his 17 year career. Sorry, but if he averaged $13.8 million a season like Luck instead of the $1.29 million that he averaged then I'd venture a guess that he might have a different take on this.

The NFL and some of their fans dont give a shit about these players once they stop playing. Beuerlein was a career backup who took 17 years to put up roughly the same stats that Luck put up in 6 seasons.

Dudes that scrapped and clawed to make the roster for 7 different teams in 17 years simply have a different perspective. He seems to believe that every player should have the same mentality that he did. A sign of the times.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

gutter gonna gutter
Deleted User 266

Trad - Well, if you are going to say that then my response to twocoach would probably be......

I don't know what Beuerlein would do if he was making Luck money. Maybe feel that much more committed to the owner, teammates, fans?
I can't fault the guy for what he was paid and his commitment to the game, his teammates, and his fans.

The NFLPA and the NFL beg to differ that they "don't give a shit about these players once they stop playing". Same with fans. I go to Bears games and see just as many Payton, Butkus, Urlacher jerseys as I see current players. 1985 Bears players are still Gods in Chicago. Backups included.

I feel you are minimizing Beuerlien's accomplishments to fit your narrative.
I agree he was not a "great" QB or in Luck's class of QBs but.......
There was a season in which Beuerlein made the Pro Bowl.
There was a season Beuerlein passed for more yards than any other QB.
There was a season Beuerlein was the completion percentage leader.
I have to figure less than 5% of those who have played QB in the NFL have achieved the same.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Paul1 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:26 pm Trad - Well, if you are going to say that then my response to twocoach would probably be......

I don't know what Beuerlein would do if he was making Luck money. Maybe feel that much more committed to the owner, teammates, fans?
I can't fault the guy for what he was paid and his commitment to the game, his teammates, and his fans.

The NFLPA and the NFL beg to differ that they "don't give a shit about these players once they stop playing". Same with fans. I go to Bears games and see just as many Payton, Butkus, Urlacher jerseys as I see current players. 1985 Bears players are still Gods in Chicago. Backups included.

I have to figure less than 5% of those who have played QB in the NFL have achieved the same.
Yeah, a guy who played for 7 different franchises in 17 years should crow about being more loyal to teams, teammates and fans....
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

All I know is that I am glad we dont do our FF draft until after Labor Day.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Paul1 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:26 pm ......

Maybe the same day that former Pro Bowl fullback Le'Ron McClain is out on Twitter begging the NFL for some help with his head issues isnt the best day to talk about how the NFL gives a shit about former players.

"...Please someone help me get this out the @NFL puts paperwork in our faces and that's it. Yes its programs f--- all that I need help now I need a plan.... F--- Man. They dont f---ing get it man."
Deleted User 266

twocoach wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:35 pm
Paul1 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:26 pm Trad - Well, if you are going to say that then my response to twocoach would probably be......

Yeah, a guy who played for 7 different franchises in 17 years should crow about being more loyal to teams, teammates and fans....
I think he only played for 6 franchises.
Doesn't really matter. I understand where you are coming from and I happen to feel maybe he isn't exactly the right guy to be calling someone out for loyalty when he was a holdout early in his career.
I do still think he has/had a right to voice his opinion. Maybe he has a touch of Gottleib disease?
Deleted User 266

twocoach wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:33 pm
Paul1 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:26 pm ......

Maybe the same day that former Pro Bowl fullback Le'Ron McClain is out on Twitter begging the NFL for some help with his head issues isnt the best day to talk about how the NFL gives a shit about former players.

"...Please someone help me get this out the @NFL puts paperwork in our faces and that's it. Yes its programs f--- all that I need help now I need a plan.... F--- Man. They dont f---ing get it man."
Le'Ron McClain? You mean the same guy who was busted for trafficking in synthetic weed?
Not shocking he is alleging his brain is fucked up.
He didn't tweet what you claim is the "same day" as I made my post. He tweeted it on Saturday and now all of a sudden today he is telling people he's ok.
He's right about one thing. The NFL does put paperwork in the players and former players faces.
It's up to the current and former players to learn what to do with it.
The NFLPA will help him if he reaches out to them. There is money and resources available.
colbond

Post by colbond »

twocoach wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:36 pm All I know is that I am glad we dont do our FF draft until after Labor Day.
I drafted Luck and Lamar Miller on Saturday.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

colbond wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:18 pm
twocoach wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:36 pm All I know is that I am glad we dont do our FF draft until after Labor Day.
So did you boo your tv during Luck’s speech?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Paul1 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:34 pm
twocoach wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:35 pm

I think he only played for 6 franchises.
Doesn't really matter. I understand where you are coming from and I happen to feel maybe he isn't exactly the right guy to be calling someone out for loyalty when he was a holdout early in his career.
I do still think he has/had a right to voice his opinion. Maybe he has a touch of Gottleib disease?
Oh, he has the "right" to his take just as folks have the right to respond to how silly a take it is.
colbond

Post by colbond »

Gqcolorado wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:26 pm
colbond wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:18 pm
So did you boo your tv during Luck’s speech?
No but wasn't thrilled with the league commissioner for having the draft while preseason is still going on.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

Gutter, regarding MacClain....I don’t think he was tweeting he’s all good, just to make sure people don’t insist putting him on suicide watch bc of his tweets coming after NFL.

Most NFL players don’t make $100/7 years, or anywhere close. Good for Luck for making his money and leaving when he wants.

It’s telling, to me, that 872 players have been awarded settlements (so far, according to the ESPN MacClain article), while there are just 326 members of the hall of fame.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I don't have a problem with Luck retiring (and I'm willing to take his word for it that this wasn't something he's known about for a while).

I do expect that other owners aren't thrilled with the Colts gratuitously (and unnecessarily) letting him keep the whole bonus, even if the reason for that is that Luck could have played hardball by claiming to be injured (or worse - claiming that the Colts' medical staff caused it).
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Only Gutter would find himself in the position of defending Steve Beuerlien's NFL career.

BTW Celebrity Net Worth puts Luck at 40 million.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.