Indiana State Notes/Game Thread

Kansas Football.
painter

Re: Indiana State Notes/Game Thread

Post by painter »

We are still digging out of a deep ass hole, but the "program" needed that one bad.
columbusdjkc

Post by columbusdjkc »

chiknbut wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:33 pm
columbusdjkc wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:32 pm They did good closing it out but I don’t know that their going to win another game this year. Defense was pretty leaky. Run game was easy to stop in the second half.
You don't think Coastal Carolina is a possible win? Really?

Keep in mind one of the best RBs in the league comes back next week.
I think it’s a possible win but I don’t think they will. It’s looking like two years away from anything meaningful.
HenrySwanson

Post by HenrySwanson »

What I really liked was seeing TWO receivers that can get downfield in Parchment and Charlot. Instead of just having a Sims that the entire secondary can key on.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

First game jitters and some game film. Greatday
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Not a bad showing without the most dynamic player in the conference.

Stanley has to be better, but he was fine. Just seeing a coach stick with one QB during an opener was nice.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

HenrySwanson wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:18 pm What I really liked was seeing TWO receivers that can get downfield in Parchment and Charlot. Instead of just having a Sims that the entire secondary can key on.
Two athletic receivers who can go up and make plays. Add Pookah to this team and all of a sudden you might be able to get 3-4 wins somewhere.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Attendance????

Looked like a good crowd on TV.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Student turnout was less than impressive.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

That is a BIG crowd at a KU game.
Student section still the end zone of the horseshoe?
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Same location and I wasn’t all that impressed with the student turnout.

I was VERY impressed with the home team side turnout. Almost a full crowd. It was much busier than expected and it may have been more if the walk up ticket window wasn’t so slow.

Weather could have played a factor but the announced crowd attendance was much higher than I thought it would be.
Holidaysmore - 2005
vmlb

Post by vmlb »

Just watched the game.
On the fourth and three, for ISU,
they were called for an illegal formation. Did we have the option to deny that penalty? Couldn't tell whether they got a first down on the play. Could we have had a measurement?
Thought les should have tried a FG to go up 16.
Disappointed in the Oline.
Two run plays in the game I believe Pooka would have scored had he been the ball carrier instead of Herbert and Dom.
Glad Les started and stayed with Carter. This should be a confidence builder for both the QB and team.
David Lawrence said we would have lost that game last year. I agree.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

holidaysmore wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:15 pm Same location and I wasn’t all that impressed with the student turnout.

I was VERY impressed with the home team side turnout. Almost a full crowd. It was much busier than expected and it may have been more if the walk up ticket window wasn’t so slow.

Weather could have played a factor but the announced crowd attendance was much higher than I thought it would be.
I think next week is going to be a great turnout. No holiday weekend. Saturday evening. A 1-0 team.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Very true it is a holiday weekend but for heavens sakes students you have been on campus for about a week. Stay in town. Get behind the program.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:42 pm
Just seeing a coach stick with one QB during an opener was nice.
Yes. Fucking FINALLY!
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

vmlb wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:34 pm Just watched the game.
On the fourth and three, for ISU,
they were called for an illegal formation. Did we have the option to deny that penalty? Couldn't tell whether they got a first down on the play. Could we have had a measurement?
Thought les should have tried a FG to go up 16.
Disappointed in the Oline.
Two run plays in the game I believe Pooka would have scored had he been the ball carrier instead of Herbert and Dom.
Glad Les started and stayed with Carter. This should be a confidence builder for both the QB and team.
David Lawrence said we would have lost that game last year. I agree.
Your thoughts are like mine at the time. Really bad broadcast, the announcers didn't seem to pay much attention to that fourth down and three. I figured it must be a dead ball ball penalty. And shades of Pepper Rogers not kicking the FG. Should have. And it was a terrible fourth down play call. The jet sweep worked all day and even led to a WR pass for the 2-pt conversion. Horne is still waiting to surprise everyone with his Cheetah+ speed. Les is holding him back for full effect I think. The offense is surprising. We need to break the pocket and go down field. Stanley's issues were in collapsog pockets. And, this should be said, two of the fumbles were not fumbles. The first was a very crappy call that could not possibly be seen as conclusive on a tiny DVR screen. And the end zone fumble sure looked like an incomplete pass. The good thing was that it saved a lot of time. A conservative game plan that was almost too conservative. And a defense that played very well against the best line/QB they'll likely see until Oklahoma. Missouri wishes it had Carter Stanley right now. Man did they crap the bed.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

columbusdjkc wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:42 pm
chiknbut wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:33 pm
columbusdjkc wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:32 pm They did good closing it out but I don’t know that their going to win another game this year. Defense was pretty leaky. Run game was easy to stop in the second half.
You don't think Coastal Carolina is a possible win? Really?

Keep in mind one of the best RBs in the league comes back next week.
I think it’s a possible win but I don’t think they will. It’s looking like two years away from anything meaningful.
-10 against Coastal, so I think we win that one.

I don't know that we have another win this season, though. Agree we're quite a ways away after watching Saturday.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Pooka effect will now begin. He’ll make things happen than Herbert and Dom can’t. Add in a couple of taller, legit receivers in a Charlot and Parchment, you have something on offense.

I will say this.. For a complete change in scheme and philosophy on both sides of the ball, KU did just fine. This team has been an “Air Raid” team for 4 years and now they are going to a combo offense with a full back and 2 TEs more often than 4 WR.

Defense was a mix between 4-3 and a 4-2-5. Now they are a 3-4 or a 3-3-5 in a way as one of those LB is usually blitzing.

That’s a lot of stuff to throw out there and get used to. That Indiana State team on Saturday would have beat quiet a few of FBS teams. They are not a bad team by any means.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Regardless of how good ISU is relative to the rest of the FCS, the fact that we were equaled or even bested at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball is a bad sign.

We're definitely better coached, save for the headscratching playcalling which has to improve, but the horses just aren't there yet.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

I'm not a big Carter Stanley fan, but, if he is the best KU has, then I'm all in with Coach to stay with him. I like that fact. The only quarterbacks, in my memory, slower than Carter were David Jaynes and Mike Norseth. If he does one-half what Norseth did will make me happy. No one will match David Jaynes.

Does Bonner Springs still have a sign acknowledging David Jaynes and that fat ass who played basketball at Bluemont who ended up playing a bit in the NBA?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Haha you never saw Dayne Crist or Jake Heaps play then Leawood. Those guys couldn’t run at all.

But Carter does fine. This offense requires accurate throws and him being 20/29 was good. Just needs to be quicker against the blitz.