KU basketball expected to face multiple major violation allegations from NCAA:

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Re: KU basketball expected to face multiple major violation allegations from NCAA:

Post by ousdahl »

Trustee wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:48 pm I think I'm more concerned about the process than the outcome.
How so?

Who cares about the ball as long as it’s happy and fun?
pdub
Site Admin

Re: KU basketball expected to face multiple major violation allegations from NCAA:

Post by pdub »

At least all this turmoil brought trustee and DC back.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

^^^^

How many allegations would it take for wiscy?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Man, if the ncaa is serious about calling the shoe companies boosters then there is a distinct possibility of a massive ripple effect through all NCAA athletics. Virtually all BB recruits participate in Nike/Adidas/Under Armour grassroots programs. So any "Nike kid" that goes to a Nike school should be deemed to have received impermissible benefits from a booster now?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:56 pm Man, if the ncaa is serious about calling the shoe companies boosters then there is a distinct possibility of a massive ripple effect through all NCAA athletics. Virtually all BB recruits participate in Nike/Adidas/Under Armour grassroots programs. So any "Nike kid" that goes to a Nike school should be deemed to have received impermissible benefits from a booster now?
That's one of many things that doesn't make sense about what's happening. If you're going to say that contact with shoe company reps, in and of itself, constitutes a violation of the rules...then the NCAA will die more quickly than even I thought.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Is there any chance the dispute ends up in some third party governing body e.g. court?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:01 pm
twocoach wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:56 pm Man, if the ncaa is serious about calling the shoe companies boosters then there is a distinct possibility of a massive ripple effect through all NCAA athletics. Virtually all BB recruits participate in Nike/Adidas/Under Armour grassroots programs. So any "Nike kid" that goes to a Nike school should be deemed to have received impermissible benefits from a booster now?
That's one of many things that doesn't make sense about what's happening. If you're going to say that contact with shoe company reps, in and of itself, constitutes a violation of the rules...then the NCAA will die more quickly than even I thought.
It makes perfect sense when you remember that the ncaa who is consistent only in it's maddeningly inconsistent application of logic and common sense and is an incompetent mess that cannot get out of it's own way.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:03 pm Is there any chance the dispute ends up in some third party governing body e.g. court?
I'd bet money that it ends up in court and I HATE to bet money.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:05 pm
ousdahl wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:03 pm Is there any chance the dispute ends up in some third party governing body e.g. court?
I'd bet money that it ends up in court and I HATE to bet money.
Unless the NCAA comes back with its tail between its legs and demands nothing more than a scholarship and some contact restrictions, or there turns out to be a no-shit smoking gun (leading to Bill getting fired), I don't see how this stops short of litigation.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... g-to-miss/

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-bill-self ... 02861.html

You guys, why am I in the minority on this that this is worrisome? Two of the most plugged in writers to the whole NCAA/Shoe company ordeals seem to think that the NCAA won't miss on these allegations and that they have ammo to win it..

This is NOT GOOD.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Well it's off the front page of ESPN now in favor of Kyrie getting accidentally hit in the face.
So that's good.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

There really hasn't been much coverage of it outside the narrow band of regulars.

I think there's a lot of fatigue on the whole concept, not to mention a decided athlete-favorable shift in public sentiment.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It was the top topic on ESPN front page for a day.
Still front page on SI.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

So, tax invasion?
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Tax invasion and treason is here.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:27 pm https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... g-to-miss/

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-bill-self ... 02861.html

You guys, why am I in the minority on this that this is worrisome? Two of the most plugged in writers to the whole NCAA/Shoe company ordeals seem to think that the NCAA won't miss on these allegations and that they have ammo to win it..

This is NOT GOOD.
Zero way KU walks away from this unscathed. When you commit the crime you have to do the time. The mystery is going to be what is the crime and how long is the time.

Best case scenario the NCAA give the program a couple years of probabtion and makes Self sit out for a number of games.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I guess what I'm saying, I don't think that the NCAA will walk away with a small penalty as a consolation when they come this hard at this big of a program.

But then again, this is a bit different than USC or Miami in football where there was clear involvement.

But as many national journalists have said, the NCAA has ammo, they are swinging and they are not likely going to miss.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Lol, the NCAA has very little ammo.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Just watched PTI, Kornheiser seems to have little information on the actual charges.

BITFD is good advice. The NCAA hoarding money best distributed to schools is actually the story.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

The ammo the NCAA has is information that a federal court deemed KU was unaware of. I'm with twocoach on this one. If I were to bet on whether NCAA v. KU ends up in court, I'd put every cent on yes.

There's no way this ends with the NCAA saying "oh, nevermind" and no punishment being handed out, but I don't see Self sitting out games or anything being vacated either. I still believe the end result will be somewhere in the lose a scholly with probation range.

It's been said before. What can the NCAA dig up against KU, or anyone for that matter, that wasn't used in a federal court case with the FBI doing the digging. They are swinging with allegations that federal prosecutors said have no substance.

Oh, and #BITFD.