The Ole Samsung Shot Craps

Coffee talk.
jhawks99
Contributor

The Ole Samsung Shot Craps

Post by jhawks99 »

Need to get a new teevee.
Best buy seems to have 65" for around $550. A lot less than we bought the existing one for. They also have Samsungs listed for $1500. What's 1k difference? They both are 4k UHD HDR whatever that means.
Defense. Rebounds.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: The Ole Samsung Shot Craps

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

What do you use it for?

If it's just for sports and flipping around on Cable/Streaming, buy a TCL with HDR in the biggest size you can find. Should be under a grand, for sure.

If you're interested in real 4k content, deep blacks, watching 4k movies, then spend the 2+ grand on a top of the line Korean brand. I prefer LG OLED but its spendy.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Hadn't heard of TCL until I started poking around the Best Buy site. May have to go that route
Defense. Rebounds.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Defense. Rebounds.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:09 pm Hadn't heard of TCL until I started poking around the Best Buy site. May have to go that route
TCL is a discount brand but much better quality than other discount brands like Vizio or Insignia and gives more bang for the buck than mid-tier like Panasonic or Sharp. If I was needing an 75"+ on a budget, it's the only route I'd go.

If you're wanting reliability and warranty that a discount brand will likely lack, find the mid-tier of LG or Samsung.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:05 pm What do you use it for?

If it's just for sports and flipping around on Cable/Streaming, buy a TCL with HDR in the biggest size you can find. Should be under a grand, for sure.

If you're interested in real 4k content, deep blacks, watching 4k movies, then spend the 2+ grand on a top of the line Korean brand. I prefer LG OLED but its spendy.
^^^ That's what I have, 65".
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
NLowrider

Post by NLowrider »

Agreed on TCL or LG. TCL for the price, LG for the picture. Personally I hate the Samsung interface.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Thanks everyone. Found out why the Samsung was priced so low. Apparently it's a holiday model sold on black Friday's and such. Went with it anyway. Gets delivered today.
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:23 am Thanks everyone. Found out why the Samsung was priced so low. Apparently it's a holiday model sold on black Friday's and such. Went with it anyway. Gets delivered today.
It's a great price and you'll probably love it.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:23 am Thanks everyone. Found out why the Samsung was priced so low. Apparently it's a holiday model sold on black Friday's and such. Went with it anyway. Gets delivered today.
Do we have a verdict?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I got a Samsung 4k 8 series half a year ago.
Good picture. Good sound. Friendly UI.
Light weight, thin frame.

Has been a bit problematic with Direct TV Now/ATT Now but I blame that on the app not the TV.
Unless you're a techboi, you are gonna be satisfied with the look of that Samsung.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

chiknbut wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:43 pm
Do we have a verdict?
Set it up and have been watching it. Pretty nice TV, it's almost too big for the room it's in. Price was right and it works, so all good.
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Bixby is pretty worthless.
Just ignore that feature.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:46 am Bixby is pretty worthless.
Just ignore that feature.
Bullshit, Bixby was great in the Incredible Hulk series.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

jhawks99 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:21 am
chiknbut wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:43 pm
Do we have a verdict?
Set it up and have been watching it. Pretty nice TV, it's almost too big for the room it's in. Price was right and it works, so all good.
TV technology is so amazing. I bought a 50-incher a few years ago and was just blown away at how easy it is to use and set up. Not to mention the thing I pulled off the wall (from the W administration) weighed about 50 pounds and the replacement I could lift with two fingers.