Les Koenning Let Go. Brent Dearmon promoted.

Kansas Football.
ChalkRocker

Re: Les Koenning Let Go. Brent Dearmon promoted.

Post by ChalkRocker »

dammit
Last edited by ChalkRocker on Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

DCHawk1 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:22 pm
Age and dementia/Alzheimer's

I read that somewhere.
I've read the same thing, I think.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

I thought it was odd that Dearmon would want to go from being a head coach (albeit at a smaller school) to an offensive analyst at KU...he and Coach Miles had to have known he was would probably be the future OC, maybe just happened a bit earlier than originally thought.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I have no idea what salaries would be from HC at NAIA school to analyst at P5 school. But he probably got a small raise on top of getting more exposure and the probability of being the eventual OC or QB coach or something along those lines.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

First off, I'm excited that this move happened. When Dearmon was first hired on the staff, I always assumed he would eventually be the OC, just surprised it happened this fast.

Curious what this means for the QB. If the rumors are true and they believe Torry Locklin is the real deal, could we see him some over the last 4 games so he gets some playing time and doesn't lose his red shirt?
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

kickass username ^^^
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

UnholyLivingDead wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:23 pm First off, I'm excited that this move happened. When Dearmon was first hired on the staff, I always assumed he would eventually be the OC, just surprised it happened this fast.

Curious what this means for the QB. If the rumors are true and they believe Torry Locklin is the real deal, could we see him some over the last 4 games so he gets some playing time and doesn't lose his red shirt?
Could definitely see that happening. Although probably not kstate game. They’ll want to win that game big time. Probably not the time for him to play.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

I would think anything after the KState game would be on the table for Locklin. But yeah, recent things we've seen from both teams would make you believe that could be a super competitive game that we might have a shot to win. Really just excited to see Dearmon's results as we go through the back half of the season.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I said along KU needed to get through TCU, OU and Texas and then prepare for winnable games the rest of the way.

First half of the season (non con): 2-1
Second half of the Big 12: 0-3
Third half: TBD
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Man. Next Saturday against Texas will be interesting.

Scenarios -
Texas could be down after losing to OU and out of the playoff race and they just kind of putter their way through the season.
Texas could be through the roof after they beat their rival and are placed right back in the playoff race with a coach that thrives on momentum.

Either way, KU will be coming with a new, aggressive offense and it might take a quarter or two for Texas to get used to it. If they are down after they lose to OU, KU has a chance to be really competitive for an entire 4 quarters. If they are pumped after beating OU and after they figure out the KU offense, KU might only be competitive for a half (kind of like OU) before Texas pulls away.

I haven't done an official prediction yet, but first instinct says Texas 42 KU 24. KU within a TD at half. 3rd quarter is when Texas pulls away.

But back to original thought about Locklin. From all accounts, he's been really good, just a bit raw though. Get him in a quick, one-read offense and he could flourish because he has the short throw accuracy and has speed for when things break down.

Unless KU gets that 4-star QB they are going after somewhat quietly behind the scenes (TJ Finley is committed to LSU, but LSU has a higher rated QB committed in the same class, so he might back out) Locklin will likely be the QB of this team next year. He's got the size, he's got the speed, nice lefty arm and some good accuracy in short throws.

noosh

Post by noosh »

This shit is funny.

So Dearmon was completely responsible for the BC game but nothing else? That's what the board is going with?? LOL OK
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Look at the player quotes after the BC game. Dearmon this, Dearmon that.

Has that been mentioned any other game?

Look at the style of offenses KU played there against BC compared to say West Virginia. Offenses were completely different.

I know you troll and all, but it seems fairly obvious.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I don't think Noosh is entirely off base here.

I mean, I could easily be convinced that after looking like shit in the first two games it was Dearmon's input that caused the change that led to success against BC. But if that's the case, presumably he would have given input for the WVU, TCU, and OU games too where we didn't look nearly as good.

I'm optimistic that this is an upgrade and move in the right direction, (especially long term). But let's not act like he wasn't already a voice in the room for the other games...especially if we're giving him credit for the BC game. I'm not expecting to see a lot of 51 pt games all of a sudden.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

And you shouldn't expect to see that. But you will see a competent offense. Koenning was Miles' puppet and it showed during the game. He ran stuff Miles ran at LSU. Dearmon is doing his thing with the input of the offensive staff for the gameplan.

They are still going to run a ton. Lots of those type of offenses (OU, Auburn, Oregon) are always thought to be spread passing attacks because the QBs got all the glory, but those offenses ran the crap out of the ball and that's what Dearmon likes. Dad was an OL as a player, and a OL coach so Dearmon is familiar with running the ball. He said every game he wants the offense as a collective unit to have 40 defenders on the ground. Doesn't matter if it's a WR, RB, OL or TE. He wants his players to put defensive players on their butts early and often.

What I like is that he's had multiples stops with great success. Not just one flash in the pan season. He knows his stuff at multiple levels of ball and as he stated in the Miles To Go. Doesn't matter what level, a coach can coach.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Weird how Dearmon's influence disappeared at the same time the non-coach coaching article came out in the star . . .
noosh

Post by noosh »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:39 pm Look at the player quotes after the BC game. Dearmon this, Dearmon that.

Look at the style of offenses KU played there against BC compared to say West Virginia. Offenses were completely different.

OK hoss, very convincing. Let's just continue this conversation in late November. I'm going with us getting sideways assfucked the rest of the season.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:56 pm Weird how Dearmon's influence disappeared at the same time the non-coach coaching article came out in the star . . .
Man that is a fine conspiracy theory. Probably true
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

noosh wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:52 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:39 pm Look at the player quotes after the BC game. Dearmon this, Dearmon that.

OK hoss, very convincing. Let's just continue this conversation in late November. I'm going with us getting sideways assfucked the rest of the season.
Noosh man. Where is the dude of infinite jest and inimitable optimism? Where be your gibes now? Your gambols? Your songs? Your flashes of merriment, that were wont to set the table on a roar?
noosh

Post by noosh »

LOL Dearmon's contract.

Can tell Les really feels strongly about this OFFENSIVE GURU.

Paying top coordinator $250k LOLOLOLOL

he could have one good quarter and get snatched by a MAC school at halftime LOLOLOL
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I know this is a troll thing again..

But KU has no reason to pay him high. It's a huge raise over what he was paid. I'd say it's 3x as much. He still has to prove it at this level. And KU will beat most any offer that gets thrown his way if he succeeds. Plus, they still have to pay the $1M+ to Koenning.