Coffee talk.
Deleted User 89

Re: "Get away" trips.

Post by Deleted User 89 »

yeah, 4-corners itself sucks
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I was curious about 4 corners. I wanna be able to say I drank a beer in that many different states at once.

Plus I’ve never been to New Mexico, and kind of think it would be funny to be able to say that I have been to New Mexico, and when they ask what part, I can say just a couple feet of it in the northwest corner.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

But regarding Mesa Verde, I think the thing that bugs me about it is that there’s so much of the park that’s apparently inaccessible...or maybe just not worth accessing?

Like every other park I’ve been to has had tons of trails to tons of cool shit, and I’ve come to associate as much with a national park.

My national parks experience has tended toward the backcountry, and finding the little hidden gems of a wild public place, and this park is apparently lacking.

I have a habit, for better or worse, of avoiding the ranger tours and guided type shit at the parks. I’m sure I’d appreciate them if I did do them, but I suppose my mindset is I’ll do the tours if I live to be as old as the (mostly) other old farts on the tours. As long as I’m young and fortunately able-bodied, I wanna adventure long and hard.

Also, the whole grizzlies in the San Juan mountains thing as intriguing as any Sasquatch story I’ve ever heard, and with slightly more empirical evidence to boot!

And for real, I don’t know if anything makes me feel so proud to be an American as I feel when nitpicking our national parks.
Deleted User 89

check out natural bridges if you get a chance. the monument has its own trails, but is also surrounded by accessible public land that’s great for primitive camping and hiking.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

thanks for the recommendation. the area is badass. hope to go back soon. wish I coulda stayed longer.

High 70s and bluebird the whole trip, up until the past couple hours today since Vail pass getting home. Meanwhile, been below freezing in Yellowstone...aaand since getting home. Like for real the cooler left on the porch with the trip's remaining beers finally went from melting to freezing so cold it deserves its own thread...the coolest!
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:22 pm But regarding Mesa Verde, I think the thing that bugs me about it is that there’s so much of the park that’s apparently inaccessible...or maybe just not worth accessing?

Like every other park I’ve been to has had tons of trails to tons of cool shit, and I’ve come to associate as much with a national park.

My national parks experience has tended toward the backcountry, and finding the little hidden gems of a wild public place, and this park is apparently lacking.

As long as I’m young and fortunately able-bodied, I wanna adventure long and hard.
This is why (insert spiritual deity here) created the Jeep.
Deleted User 62

ousdahl wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:57 pm I was curious about 4 corners. I wanna be able to say I drank a beer in that many different states at once.

Plus I’ve never been to New Mexico, and kind of think it would be funny to be able to say that I have been to New Mexico, and when they ask what part, I can say just a couple feet of it in the northwest corner.
I am a big fan of the Chama area in NM.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:22 pm I have a habit, for better or worse, of avoiding the ranger tours and guided type shit at the parks. I’m sure I’d appreciate them if I did do them, but I suppose my mindset is I’ll do the tours if I live to be as old as the (mostly) other old farts on the tours. As long as I’m young and fortunately able-bodied, I wanna adventure long and hard.

And for real, I don’t know if anything makes me feel so proud to be an American as I feel when nitpicking our national parks.
As an "Official old-fart" (I have been receiving junkmail from AARP for a few years to prove it) I can vouch for the value of the guided tours. I consider myself to be mostly able-bodied and love the adventures, but these guided tours are a lot of fun and usually extremely informative. As a bonus, usually the docent has firsthand insight into their favorite off-the-beaten-path adventures, and secret spots. My wife and I have talked about spending our "retirement years" as National Park docents!

I thought I was the only one who felt it was one's patriotic duty to nitpick the National Parks!! My favorite National Park quote:
Woman (to ranger): "Sir, what do you recommend I do if I only had half-a-day in Yosemite Valley?"
Ranger: "Madam, I would dip my feet in the Merced River and start crying"
Deleted User 62

I had a similar response to a friend that asked me what to do in the Palm Springs area if you only have 1 day?

I told them, go to San Diego.
Deleted User 89

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:26 am
ousdahl wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:57 pm I was curious about 4 corners. I wanna be able to say I drank a beer in that many different states at once.

I am a big fan of the Chama area in NM.
^^^

grew up in that neck of the woods in the 80s

from Santa Fe, north through the Jemez mtns. is absolutely beautiful country

not the safest of places tho
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

why is it not safe?

the grizzlies??
Deleted User 62

ousdahl wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:20 pm why is it not safe?

the grizzlies??
Mexicans.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

the grizzlies??
Aliens.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 89

did you not see Breaking Bad?

(but for real, meth capital of the southwest)
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:02 pm

the grizzlies??
Aliens.
This guy gets it. Something went terribly wrong on Level 7, and that's when the Grays escaped.

http://www.subterraneanbases.com/high-s ... leta-mesa/

The area north of Abiquiu is really nice, check out Plaza Blanco area. Stop in at Bode's in Abiquiu and get a burger with fire roasted chilis. They sell growlers of beer from the local Benedictine monastery also.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Deleted User 89

georgia o’keefe studio in abiquiu as well
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Rented a cabin outside of Durango for a week ~ 10 years ago. It's beautiful area. I took my mountain bike to ride the numerous trails, but I have to admit that it was disconcerting to be alone, because at every trailhead, (and numerous other places), there were Beware of Bears signs, everywhere you looked. Not being familiar with the trails tightens your sphincter to begin with, but not being able to get away from the thought of "Beware of Bears", was kinda distracting.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

We don't have bears in the Empire.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

japhy wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:36 pm We don't have bears in the Empire.
Your HOA covenants won't allow them?
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Trustee

Post by Trustee »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:05 pm did you not see Breaking Bad?

(but for real, meth capital of the southwest)
I tried to find a gif of Rust Cohle saying “High intensity drug trafficking area” for Jeepin but no luck. Do they have those spy dirigibles in NM like I’ve seen in southern Arizona?