Totally random thread

Coffee talk.
ramjet
Contributor

Re: Totally random thread

Post by ramjet »

Paul1 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:39 pm Guess who is back.
Hmmm.
I'm sure you are not referring to me, but I am back after taking the summer away from all this board fun. Busy summer - sold the old Suburban, bought a Yukon XL Denali and took a couple of road trips. One to Phoenix to visit my 1 year old great grandson and one to the Nashville area to visit my other 1 year old great grandson, and this one is going to have a brother/sister in about 6 months - shit 3 great grand kids! Before I took the trips I got busy on myself and, with change to diet and exercise, lost 60 lbs. At 6'1", I couldn't carry 260 and felt like shit, I still have another 20+ lbs to drop. Old age sucks. The last week or so I've been preparing the compound for our first measurable snowfall of the season here in the Colorado mountains, forecast says ~6" coming down on Thursday. For those of you how don't know who I am, I am the artist previously known as and_one.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

speaking of Amber Guyger, where's the "cops killing people of color in their own homes" thread?

A white police officer fired through the window of a black woman's home early Saturday and killed her after responding to a call that a neighbor placed about an open front door, authorities in Fort Worth, Texas, say.

Around 2:25 a.m., officers responded to an "open structure call" made by a neighbor to the police department's nonemergency number. Inside the home, Atatiana Jefferson, 28, and her 8-year-old nephew were playing video games.

According to a police news release, when the officer was searching the perimeter of Jefferson's house, the officer noticed a person inside and standing near the window, which police say was perceived as a threat. That is when the officer drew his weapon, ordered Jefferson's hands up and shot.

Authorities say that when they entered Jefferson's home, a gun was recovered from the bedroom — the area where police shot and where Jefferson was pronounced dead. Officials did not say whether Jefferson was holding a weapon at the time the officer fired at her.

Tatum said Jefferson's having a weapon should not have justified the use of deadly force.

"If you hear some noise in your backyard early in the morning when you're with your 8-year-old nephew, well of course anyone in their right mind is going to try to protect themselves and others, especially a child," Tatum said. "But the officer reacted so quickly and never identified himself as a police officer."

"He said, 'I feel guilty, because if I had not called the police to do a welfare check, my neighbor would still be alive...'"

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/13/76989178 ... cture-call

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzDEQLjVrp0&t=5s
Last edited by ousdahl on Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

the video isn't too graphic or anything.

It's just wobbly footage in which a cop snoops around backyard with a flashlight, walks up to a window, shines the light in the window, yells "put your hands up" and, within about a second, blasts.

ho-lee shit. I can't even imagine.
Deleted User 286

Post by Deleted User 286 »

Murder.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yeah, dunno if the fear for my life defense will hold up for "inside and standing by a window."

it'll also be interesting to see if gun rights groups come to the defense of the homeowner.

Somehow I doubt it.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

ousdahl wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:00 pm the video isn't too graphic or anything.

It's just wobbly footage in which a cop snoops around backyard with a flashlight, walks up to a window, shines the light in the window, yells "put your hands up" and, within about a second, blasts.

ho-lee shit. I can't even imagine.
Jesus Fucking Christ.
Enter a private residence back yard, snoop around unannounced, throw a light in a window and blast a citizen in their home.
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:36 pmMurder.
Convincing evidence that only government can be trusted with guns.
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

is anyone else weirded out by skype interviews?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Only half weirded out.

My other half is still wearing pajama pants.
Deleted User 89

at least you’re wearing pants
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Not any more!

but for real let’s get this thread back on topic:

If your life depended on it, how many corn dogs do you think you could eat in one sitting?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

3 if the mustard is good.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 89

easily a dozen
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Five.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:36 pmMurder.
Whoa, charged
Deleted User 62

I will say this.
If those cops were in my backyard, snooping around, I would have known it.

And there would have been at least one police uniform missing its' head.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

Really? You would shoot a cop for snooping around in your backyard? I'm honestly surprised you would say that.
What would be the repercussions of your blowing off a cop's head for snooping around in your backyard? Either you get blown away in front of your wife or you land in prison? If so, neither seem like good endings to me.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:08 pm I will say this.
If those cops were in my backyard, snooping around, I would have known it.

And there would have been at least one police uniform missing its' head.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH8gUhDd6WE

Deleted User 62

Paul1 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:27 pm Really? You would shoot a cop for snooping around in your backyard? I'm honestly surprised you would say that.
What would be the repercussions of your blowing off a cop's head for snooping around in your backyard? Either you get blown away in front of your wife or you land in prison? If so, neither seem like good endings to me.
In Texas, if someone is on your property, armed or not, you have the right to defend yourself as well as your property.

The police on this situation made no attempt to identify themselves as police, which puts them in the intruder category.

Honestly, I would not be in the "questions asked" mood if there were folks inside my perimeter...looking in windows.

As for getting blown away, I would very much like my odds in that situation.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

why would you like your odds in that situation...cuz you're white?

but yeah, in a vacuum I imagine being in the house brings some strategic advantage, especially if the homeowner has weapons experience and a "make my day" mentality.

and sorry to keep the thread on topic, but how effing loud would it be to fire a gun indoors? depending on the caliber and shit, one could legit go deaf, right? I think about this during movies a lot.