Recruiting 2019

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Recruiting 2019

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NBA wants to expand b/c it's good for the G-League.

NBA smells blood.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I’m into it.
Deleted User 286

Post by Deleted User 286 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:48 pm ???

He’s right, particularly with the G League stuff.
Not possible. Not allowed to agree with Calipari on anything or you're a Kentucky fan.
Deleted User 286

This is bad for the NCAA and bad for the players. They get paid better for going to college anyway.

Good for the NBA though. It'd spruce up their G League, although it'd still be relatively irrelevant.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Maine Red Claws have Tacko Fall.
I'll be sure to catch a couple games.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

is the g-league on its own financial, or is there any revenue sharing with the nba?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I think for the most part, they are on their own in terms of ticket sales, merch and other things. Salaries I think are paid for by the NBA in a roundabout way. Through the G League technically, but through the NBA overall.

G League players are not in bad spots. $35,000 for the season. In-season housing, per diems, health insurance and continuing education and the opportunity to be called up at any moment. G League/D League is looked at a lot better now than what it was 4-5 years ago.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

gotcha

just trying to wrap my mind around where everyone’s motivation lies
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:35 am

Not possible. Not allowed to agree with Calipari on anything or you're a Kentucky fan.
I've posted on here many times that I'm a fan of Calipari, but I've never been called a Kentucky fan.

Might be the difference in posting style.
Deleted User 286

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:23 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:35 am

I've posted on here many times that I'm a fan of Calipari, but I've never been called a Kentucky fan.

Might be the difference in posting style.
Alumni privilege
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

regarding redshirts, an academic one means he's not yet eligible cuz of grades or coursework, right?

and I'm all for Mitch taking one. Between 3 pro caliber bigs in front of him plus multiple small ball options, I just don't know if he's gonna get more than gentleman's senior minutes this year. Or, he could come back next year and start alongside Mac, and get one more year being a part of a high profile hoops team.

would that not be win-win for both him and the team?
Deleted User 286

Even though his role may be limited, I'm not sure he'd view it as a win to sit out the year we've got a great chance to win a national title. Even if he only plays 10mpg, it might still be worth it.

He's also not looking to be an NBA player, so he might be ready to be done with school and move on to this next chapter in life, whether that's professional hoops overseas or something else.

I'm just not a big fan of redshirts anymore, especially for guys like Mitch who could potentially get recruited over for next year anyway. I think it's just the game you play when you come to KU, not everyone is going to turn into a major contributor. Not that Mitch hasn't contributed over the course of his career....he's going to be useful this year.

DMac is who I think should have redshirted, but it's too late now and he probably wasn't looking to stay all 4 years anyway.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:56 am regarding redshirts, an academic one means he's not yet eligible cuz of grades or coursework, right?

and I'm all for Mitch taking one. Between 3 pro caliber bigs in front of him plus multiple small ball options, I just don't know if he's gonna get more than gentleman's senior minutes this year. Or, he could come back next year and start alongside Mac, and get one more year being a part of a high profile hoops team.

would that not be win-win for both him and the team?
Academic redshirt means between grades and ACT, he wasn't going to qualify this year.

A guy like Mitch--don't really care one way or the other whether he uses the shirt. Probably going to give us the same production in whichever year he plays.

That said, this is a Final Four or bust type of season and with Udoka's history, I don't see why we wouldn't want Mitch ready.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Ugh, I try not to think about that with Dok, but you’re right.

But even if Dok went down, that still leaves Mitch as a third string center, and backup 4 when we might play small ball anyway, at best.

And if Mitch doesn’t, then what about Tristan?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Other than Harris, who can't play anyway, Tristan absolutely seems like the least ready guy to play.

But, after Och, you just never know, so all of these guys need to play now. There's just a very small pool of KU players that would even stay for 5 years, especially given the grad transfer option.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:22 am Other than Harris, who can't play anyway, Tristan absolutely seems like the least ready guy to play.

But, after Och, you just never know, so all of these guys need to play now. There's just a very small pool of KU players that would even stay for 5 years, especially given the grad transfer option.
I saw a mock the other day that had Tristan as a late first/early second pick, ahead of Och, in the 2021 draft.
Deleted User 286

If we play small ball with SDS Dok and DMac all available I will lose my fucking mind.
punkrockhawk

Post by punkrockhawk »

NDballer13 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:48 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:22 am Other than Harris, who can't play anyway, Tristan absolutely seems like the least ready guy to play.

I saw a mock the other day that had Tristan as a late first/early second pick, ahead of Och, in the 2021 draft.
http://www2.kusports.com/weblogs/tale-t ... ig-part-o/

He averaged 19.3 points a game when playing for the FIBA U18 team over the summer. Not sure how that will translate to college ball, but I think he's ready to play now.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:04 am Even though his role may be limited, I'm not sure he'd view it as a win to sit out the year we've got a great chance to win a national title. Even if he only plays 10mpg, it might still be worth it.

He's also not looking to be an NBA player, so he might be ready to be done with school and move on to this next chapter in life, whether that's professional hoops overseas or something else.

I'm just not a big fan of redshirts anymore, especially for guys like Mitch who could potentially get recruited over for next year anyway. I think it's just the game you play when you come to KU, not everyone is going to turn into a major contributor. Not that Mitch hasn't contributed over the course of his career....he's going to be useful this year.

DMac is who I think should have redshirted, but it's too late now and he probably wasn't looking to stay all 4 years anyway.
He could redshirt and be the bulk of the way through his masters when he leaves.
Deleted User 286

Seems like a wasted spot. I don't mean that in a mean way, but Mitch is what he is. I hope he has a great year, and then moves on to his next adventure.