Recruiting 2019

Kansas Basketball.
Cascadia

Re: Recruiting 2019

Post by Cascadia »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:48 pm ???

He’s right, particularly with the G League stuff.
He doesn’t give a fuck about kids and their futures.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:38 am Seems like a wasted spot. I don't mean that in a mean way, but Mitch is what he is. I hope he has a great year, and then moves on to his next adventure.
Could be in for some lean recruiting years.
Deleted User 286

Post by Deleted User 286 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:44 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:38 am Seems like a wasted spot. I don't mean that in a mean way, but Mitch is what he is. I hope he has a great year, and then moves on to his next adventure.
Could be in for some lean recruiting years.
Sure, but then you get a younger Mitch type and he gets to play and develop and maybe end up better than redshirt Mitch.

It wouldn't hurt us to redshirt him by any means, as I don't think we'll "need" him this year....but I do think he can "help" this year because there will be matchups where Dok and DMac have trouble with smaller quicker guys and we can throw SDS and Mitch out there and stay solid in the front court.

I want all 4 bigs for this year. Just my opinion. We've got a diverse skill set between the 4 of them, and all could be useful when trying to win 6 straight in March/April.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Rather have the senior Mitch than a frosh Mitch that might (probably won't) become a senior Mitch. You RS him if you want to get the most out of him and his time here b/c there is a logjam as it stands. You're not worried about taking up a frosh scholarship for 2020-21 b/c the recruiting is so lean (unless, of course, we get 2-3 scholarships taken away through sanctions).

But, like I said, you can't risk that with Udoka's history. Mitch becomes worth his scholarship and a half if Udoka misses time this year.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

In a pinch, a redshirt can always be pulled.
Deleted User 286

ousdahl wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:01 pm In a pinch, a redshirt can always be pulled.
Sure, but that's pretty unfair to the kid.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:04 am Even though his role may be limited, I'm not sure he'd view it as a win to sit out the year we've got a great chance to win a national title. Even if he only plays 10mpg, it might still be worth it.

He's also not looking to be an NBA player, so he might be ready to be done with school and move on to this next chapter in life, whether that's professional hoops overseas or something else.

I'm just not a big fan of redshirts anymore, especially for guys like Mitch who could potentially get recruited over for next year anyway. I think it's just the game you play when you come to KU, not everyone is going to turn into a major contributor. Not that Mitch hasn't contributed over the course of his career....he's going to be useful this year.

DMac is who I think should have redshirted, but it's too late now and he probably wasn't looking to stay all 4 years anyway.
you think david mccormack should have redshirted?? sometimes i just am blown away by the shit you say.

redshirting is great for a program. but there is no point in redshirting mcdonald all americans with NBA talent. we are lucky if they stay 2 or 3 years. redshirting and expecting him to be here 5 is insanity. and he was a starter by the end of his freshman year, albeit because of injury
Deleted User 286

randylahey wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:09 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:04 am Even though his role may be limited, I'm not sure he'd view it as a win to sit out the year we've got a great chance to win a national title. Even if he only plays 10mpg, it might still be worth it.

He's also not looking to be an NBA player, so he might be ready to be done with school and move on to this next chapter in life, whether that's professional hoops overseas or something else.

I'm just not a big fan of redshirts anymore, especially for guys like Mitch who could potentially get recruited over for next year anyway. I think it's just the game you play when you come to KU, not everyone is going to turn into a major contributor. Not that Mitch hasn't contributed over the course of his career....he's going to be useful this year.

DMac is who I think should have redshirted, but it's too late now and he probably wasn't looking to stay all 4 years anyway.
you think david mccormack should have redshirted?? sometimes i just am blown away by the shit you say.

redshirting is great for a program. but there is no point in redshirting mcdonald all americans with NBA talent. we are lucky if they stay 2 or 3 years. redshirting and expecting him to be here 5 is insanity. and he was a starter by the end of his freshman year, albeit because of injury
I said in my comment he probably wasn't looking to stay all 4 years so it doesn't really matter, but yes I think for someone of his talent level last year was sort of a wasted year...and would have been a complete waste had Dok not gone down.

he may very well end up staying all 4 years even though he was a McDonalds AA.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:01 pm In a pinch, a redshirt can always be pulled.
Ideally a player is getting a little clock if needing to count on him at any point of the season. I absolutely believe Och (and KU) would have been better off if he was playing the whole time.

Coming in only playing on the red team in practice all season isn't a good time to throw a player into the fire.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:32 pm
The player/family always has final say in RS decisions in this program.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:25 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:32 pm
The player/family always has final say in RS decisions in this program.

This is true, but Illy is a complete fucking dumbshit. So it’s not surprising he doesn’t get it.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:57 am If we play small ball with SDS Dok and DMac all available I will lose my fucking mind.
Assuming you have a one...
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
Lonestarjayhawk

Mitch will enjoy an extra year in Lawrence. He will get a Master's Degree and be ready to play a couple years overseas or join a Div1 staff as a Director of Ops. In a season that may be a little fuzzy on new recruits, having Mitch in the freezer ready to thaw out for the following season seems pretty smart.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
Deleted User 286

Did we make that official already?
Lonestarjayhawk

Not official.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

No mention yet on this board that Mitch is not playing tonight because he is considering a RS?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Doyle posted a tweet about it in the lineup thread.

I'm for it.

There's just not much opportunity this year for the 4th option on the front court depth chart. Let a freshman have those spot minutes, and shelf Mitch's experience for when we, and he, could use it more next year.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Seems as if a lot of positive momentum and Crystal Ball picks for Bryce Thompson to KU.
Holidaysmore - 2005
BLACKMILD33

Post by BLACKMILD33 »

holidaysmore wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:40 am Seems as if a lot of positive momentum and Crystal Ball picks for Bryce Thompson to KU.
YEP
ROCKCHALKJAYHAWK
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Bryce thompson supposed to be deciding anytime soon?