Border War Back On

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Border War Back On

Post by pdub »

The Zags went to the Elite 8 just last year.
The last time mizzou went to the Elite 8 was 10 years ago, when they were still in the B12.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:30 am It gives them relevance they don't need or deserve.
It's a loose loose for us in everything beyond fun for the phans ( which I don't discredit ).
But i'd rather have fun playing a top 25 team like Maryland, Oregon or the Zags then I would having fun vs a shit team like mizzou who has everything to gain ( it will be their superbowl ).
yup.

we are the biggest game Mizzou will play every year for the next six years.

meanwhile, we gotta go out of our way to play a nonconference bottom feeder.

they don't deserve the favor.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:30 am I am totally content with my ignorance.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

How do we “have to go out of our way to play misery” more so than any other non conf game?
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

for one, we have to call it a "home" game even though we're playing in misery...
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Why doesn’t someone just come out and say “I don’t Want to play them for fear of losing to them.”

Cause that is what you are all saying. In your long winded bloated blathering blubbering kind of way.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Don’t we play a home game at the sc every season?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yeah, not that we should.

but the kicker with this one is, this home game at the sc in mizzou is actually against mizzou.

and I get the "for the fans" shit, but I've dealt with enough asshole mizzou fans that at this point I don't think we should give them the time of day.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:58 am Why doesn’t someone just come out and say “I don’t Want to play them for fear of losing to them.”

Cause that is what you are all saying. In your long winded bloated blathering blubbering kind of way.
This is the most smart thing you have ever said in the history of your time on the boards.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 286

Post by Deleted User 286 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:58 am Why doesn’t someone just come out and say “I don’t Want to play them for fear of losing to them.”

That is kind of how it seems to me too a little bit. The same people who probably don't want to play Wichita State (but at least they play in a shitty conference so there is some justification to it).

Or kind of how every year we play UK in the big12/sec challenge they say "this game doesn't matter, we should use it to develop our bench players".

Playing mizzou doesn't mean we can't still schedule Duke or a top tier program. At worst it probably replaces games like temple or Davidson type games we play in sprint center.

It's 1 game. It doesn't make Mizzou any more or less relevant (they already play games against quality opponents every year). It doesn't change the way we schedule games or mean we can't still have better programs on the slate.
Deleted User 286

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:00 am Don’t we play a home game at the sc every season?
Yes. Usually against programs similar (or occasionally inferior) to Mizzou.
Deleted User 286

ousdahl wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:05 am yeah, not that we should.

but the kicker with this one is, this home game at the sc in mizzou is actually against mizzou.

and I get the "for the fans" shit, but I've dealt with enough asshole mizzou fans that at this point I don't think we should give them the time of day.
We shouldn't play games at sprint center? Don't hear many compliants when they're post season games in conference tourny or ncaa tourny.

Every school has asshole fans. Don't want to play duke or UK because of their obnoxious fans either?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

it makes Mizzou much more relevant.

how often does a Mizzou noncon game in December get prime time billing and nationwide hype?

and I think it's more than simple fear of loosing to them. It's a sports rivalry that's much more than just a sports rivalry. It's rooted in ugly history and actual bloodshed.

to use an analogy, think playground ball. This isn't just some friendly neighbor kid from down the block who you hesitate to play cuz you know he's better than you. You know he's worse than you. But while you're actually out playing with other kids who are closer to your level of talent and sportsmanship, he's been staring at the calendar date with you and stewing about it. And though he's worse, he's willing to do anything to try and beat you - up to and including, burning down your house with your mom and sister inside. Or maybe if they aren't the ones to burn your mom, they still gleefully mock your mom's untimely passing. It sounds like hyperbole, except that it's historic fact. And as time passes, so does their own relevance...unless and until we let them ride our coattails back into the spotlight?

Why do we want anything to do with those assholes?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:12 am
ousdahl wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:05 am yeah, not that we should.

We shouldn't play games at sprint center? Don't hear many compliants when they're post season games in conference tourny or ncaa tourny.

Every school has asshole fans. Don't want to play duke or UK because of their obnoxious fans either?
totally cool with postseason tournaments at sprint center. If Mizzou wants to play us that bad, come find us then. but until then...

oh, and yeah UK fans are obnoxious, but it's not like they've ever literally burned Lawrence to the ground.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:19 am it makes Mizzou much more relevant.

how often does a Mizzou noncon game in December get prime time billing and nationwide hype?

and I think it's more than simple fear of loosing to them. It's a sports rivalry that's much more than just a sports rivalry. It's rooted in ugly history and actual bloodshed.

to use an analogy, think playground ball. This isn't just some friendly neighbor kid from down the block who you hesitate to play cuz you know he's better than you. You know he's worse than you. But while you're actually out playing with other kids who are closer to your level of talent and sportsmanship, he's been staring at the calendar date with you and stewing about it. And though he's worse, he's willing to do anything to try and beat you - up to and including, burning down your house with your mom and sister inside. Or maybe if they aren't the ones to burn your mom, they still gleefully mock your mom's untimely passing. It sounds like hyperbole, except that it's historic fact. And as time passes, so does their own relevance...unless and until we let them ride our coattails back into the spotlight?

I feel you did a good job of answering your question earlier in your post.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:19 am it makes Mizzou much more relevant.

I nominate this offering for induction into the long winded bloated blubbering blathering HOF.

Kudos sir.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:57 am for one, we have to call it a "home" game even though we're playing in misery...
we've called every game in the sprint center a home game.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:06 am

This is the most smart thing you have ever said in the history of your time on the boards.
It's not at all. It's completely bullshit that he has absolutely no foundation for.

We've lost to Mizzou in basketball 95 times. 7 times between 2000 and 2012. The football series was .500 for the life of the series. KU fans have long dealt with losing to Mizzou. When the rivalry was really heated in 2012, the basketball series was a split. Mizzou won 5 of the last 6 football matchups.

And, really, the only KU fans to catch any real grief are the ones in the KC metro--the only area of the country that actually cares about the rivalry. I'm not sure what someone from bumbfuck Michigan, bumbfuck Illinois, or sorry to say since I'm from the area, Newton, KS, can really even say about the pulse of KU fans' current thoughts about renewing the rivalry.

It's more than OK to be glad the series is being renewed while at the same time correctly recognizing that it was more than just fan pettiness that kept the game from being played. Quite simply, if Mizzou had Kentucky's program, the series wouldn't have skipped a single season. It's also true that if Kansas and Kansas State were in separate conferences, the Sunflower Showdown wouldn't miss a season.
Deleted User 141

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:39 am
It's also true that if Kansas and Kansas State were in separate conferences, the Sunflower Showdown wouldn't miss a season.
[/quote]

Not completely false. But ignores the fact that our football team being absolute shit was the other side of the coin, when Mizzou was still doing quite well there.
Deleted User 141

I quoted that wrong....was obviously referencing your remark about Mizzou having Kentucky's program in basketball. :)

I'm still stoopid.