Border War Back On

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 286

Re: Border War Back On

Post by Deleted User 286 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:19 am it makes Mizzou much more relevant.

how often does a Mizzou noncon game in December get prime time billing and nationwide hype?
No offense, but this isn't going to get "nationwide hype". It's not Duke/UNC.

And, Mizzou gets a primetime noncon game against Illinois every single year in their braggin' rights game....

so, while we are going to be the best noncon team they play (that's also true for nearly every team we play every single year because we are always top 5) it doesn't make them more relevant at all. Unless they win, and then they'll get a 45second sportscenter clip/recap. But not much more than that.
shindig

Post by shindig »

I think it's cool. Time to move on folks. Mizzou is our natural rival, no matter what conference they are in. And the rival goes back long before Naismith invented basketball.
Deleted User 286

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:39 am And, really, the only KU fans to catch any real grief are the ones in the KC metro--the only area of the country that actually cares about the rivalry. I'm not sure what someone from bumbfuck Michigan, bumbfuck Illinois, or sorry to say since I'm from the area, Newton, KS, can really even say about the pulse of KU fans' current thoughts about renewing the rivalry.
Why is everywhere in Illinois besides Chicago considered "bumbfuck"?

LOL

I'm not from some small farm town with 350 population.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I think people forget how bad of a position Mizzou put Kansas and the rest of the Big 12 in. It was solely Mizzou that started the domino of the Big 12 unraveling because of a large desire to be relevant. We are talking about 8 figures of dollars and Kansas's long-term viability as a blueblood being in jeopardy.

Those wounds take time to heal, and after all, a basketball series is a contract. If you have the upper hand like Kansas had in the negotiation, you simply want some great basketball/program reasons to look past the very sour relationship. Mizzou simply didn't offer that as a program and they are located in the middle of Missouri.

The two schools don't need each other or the rivalry as badly as the opposing side's fans want them to.
Last edited by CrimsonNBlue on Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:58 am Why doesn’t someone just come out and say “I don’t Want to play them for fear of losing to them.”

Cause that is what you are all saying. In your long winded bloated blathering blubbering kind of way.
Definitely not what I'm saying; this series benefits a middling (at best) SEC program, with nothing to lose, by letting them play a Blueblood program every year. This is also a SEC program that had a strong hand in almost destroying the Big XII...which could have very easily left KU out in the cold.

I'd rather KU schedule Missouri State or SLU as a even bigger FU to Methzou.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:39 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:06 am
MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:58 am Why doesn’t someone just come out and say “I don’t Want to play them for fear of losing to them.”

Cause that is what you are all saying. In your long winded bloated blathering blubbering kind of way.
This is the most smart thing you have ever said in the history of your time on the boards.
It's not at all. It's completely bullshit that he has absolutely no foundation for.

We've lost to Mizzou in basketball 95 times. 7 times between 2000 and 2012. The football series was .500 for the life of the series. KU fans have long dealt with losing to Mizzou. When the rivalry was really heated in 2012, the basketball series was a split. Mizzou won 5 of the last 6 football matchups.

And, really, the only KU fans to catch any real grief are the ones in the KC metro--the only area of the country that actually cares about the rivalry. I'm not sure what someone from bumbfuck Michigan, bumbfuck Illinois, or sorry to say since I'm from the area, Newton, KS, can really even say about the pulse of KU fans' current thoughts about renewing the rivalry.

It's more than OK to be glad the series is being renewed while at the same time correctly recognizing that it was more than just fan pettiness that kept the game from being played. Quite simply, if Mizzou had Kentucky's program, the series wouldn't have skipped a single season. It's also true that if Kansas and Kansas State were in separate conferences, the Sunflower Showdown wouldn't miss a season.
Valid points. My work HQ is in KC. I'm fairly well connected with KC-metro KU fans thoughts on it. Most seem to have missed the rivalry and I haven't checked in on most of them, but I think they might like it being back. I've seen fans of KU from the KC area loving the rivalry being back.

I've been to a ton MU/KU games. The games are fun. The atmospheres are fun. To me it's about making those boring ass non-con games in Sprint or in AFH in middle of November fun again.

Plus, although basketball has had moments, the football rivalry is the one that needs to come back the most. That would be an atmosphere that couldn't be duplicated in this area of the US.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

I didn’t realize one had to live in KC metro to have an opinion. Thanks for clarifying.

Those of us that do not meet your qualifications will now step away.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:53 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:39 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:06 am

This is the most smart thing you have ever said in the history of your time on the boards.
It's not at all. It's completely bullshit that he has absolutely no foundation for.

We've lost to Mizzou in basketball 95 times. 7 times between 2000 and 2012. The football series was .500 for the life of the series. KU fans have long dealt with losing to Mizzou. When the rivalry was really heated in 2012, the basketball series was a split. Mizzou won 5 of the last 6 football matchups.

And, really, the only KU fans to catch any real grief are the ones in the KC metro--the only area of the country that actually cares about the rivalry. I'm not sure what someone from bumbfuck Michigan, bumbfuck Illinois, or sorry to say since I'm from the area, Newton, KS, can really even say about the pulse of KU fans' current thoughts about renewing the rivalry.

It's more than OK to be glad the series is being renewed while at the same time correctly recognizing that it was more than just fan pettiness that kept the game from being played. Quite simply, if Mizzou had Kentucky's program, the series wouldn't have skipped a single season. It's also true that if Kansas and Kansas State were in separate conferences, the Sunflower Showdown wouldn't miss a season.
Valid points. My work HQ is in KC. I'm fairly well connected with KC-metro KU fans thoughts on it. Most seem to have missed the rivalry and I haven't checked in on most of them, but I think they might like it being back. I've seen fans of KU from the KC area loving the rivalry being back.

I've been to a ton MU/KU games. The games are fun. The atmospheres are fun. To me it's about making those boring ass non-con games in Sprint or in AFH in middle of November fun again.

Plus, although basketball has had moments, the football rivalry is the one that needs to come back the most. That would be an atmosphere that couldn't be duplicated in this area of the US.
To be clear, I don't think you're wrong at all about the majority of even KU fans thinking the games themselves are really fun, and for many, that's reason enough to renew it.

I am wholeheartedly in agreement that I missed the football game more. My own opinion: much more.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:51 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:39 am And, really, the only KU fans to catch any real grief are the ones in the KC metro--the only area of the country that actually cares about the rivalry. I'm not sure what someone from bumbfuck Michigan, bumbfuck Illinois, or sorry to say since I'm from the area, Newton, KS, can really even say about the pulse of KU fans' current thoughts about renewing the rivalry.
Why is everywhere in Illinois besides Chicago considered "bumbfuck"?

LOL

I'm not from some small farm town with 350 population.
By Chicago standards, Kansas City residents would be considered from bumbfuck Kansas/Missouri, so there's that.

I always get tickled by Kansas fans (including myself sometimes reflectively), who respond by attacking the 'sophistication' of other fanbases.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don't think the posters who are saying 'yer just scurred to play missouri' understand that this rivalry is more than just who wins a basketball game.

If we as a program have little to gain and they have much more to gain, then fuck helping them in anyway.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

That said, I'm excited to be coming into town for the KU-KState football game. Haven't been back since '09 for a football game.

I'm with CnB in regards to 'missing' football games. Their overall excitement is much greater than a basketball game (regular season, that is).

And, those bumpkins in KC sure know how to make some BBQ, so there is that to look forward to as well.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Just the announcement of a game over a year from now is front page news on ESPN NCAAM.
The week leading up to the game, it'll be in sports circles.
And then the game will be promoted days before and the day of - talked about on PTI and the such, even if just for a one minute segment. It will absolutely make front page on ESPN.
ESPN.com gets 100 million unique visitors a month and mizzou will get their shitty moment in the sun that they never would have had.

The KC Star will have journals published and for that alone, fuck this.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Gotcha. Like you said, I don't interact and mingle with meth fans daily. But I still don't like Missouri. But I never wanted the games to stop and yes the slavers caused that to happen. But 7 years was long enough.

But yes, football is much more important to the rivalry then basketball. The intensity is insane. KU will win 5 of the 6 basketball games and everything will be normal.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
noosh

Post by noosh »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:52 am I think people forget how bad of a position Mizzou put Kansas and the rest of the Big 12 in. It was solely Mizzou that started the domino of the Big 12 unraveling because of a large desire to be relevant. We are talking about 8 figures of dollars and Kansas's long-term viability as a blueblood being in jeopardy.

Those wounds take time to heal, and after all, a basketball series is a contract. If you have the upper hand like Kansas had in the negotiation, you simply want some great basketball/program reasons to look past the very sour relationship. Mizzou simply didn't offer that as a program and they are located in the middle of Missouri.

The two schools don't need each other or the rivalry as badly as the opposing side's fans want them to.
This guy gets it.
Deleted User 286

pdub wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:03 am Just the announcement of a game over a year from now is front page news on ESPN NCAAM.
The week leading up to the game, it'll be in sports circles.
And then the game will be promoted days before and the day of - talked about on PTI and the such, even if just for a one minute segment. It will absolutely make front page on ESPN.
ESPN.com gets 100 million unique visitors a month and mizzou will get their shitty moment in the sun that they never would have had.

The KC Star will have journals published and for that alone, fuck this.
PTI and the such absolutely will not discuss KU vs Mizzou if Mizzou is still the bottom feeder everyone says they are/will be. College hoops gets very little play on those shows unless it's controversy, duke, or Zion/Tray Young type coverage of a phenom.

It'll be in the middle of NBA season, NFL playoff talk. College basketball gets very minimal coverage until tourny time rolls around, unless it Duke or controversy. Like CnB said, very few outside of KC area and the fan bases give a shit about KU and Mizzou playing each other. Now, Duke vs UNC will have commercials and the bottom scroll non stop in the week leading up to it because ESPN loves Duke.

You're vastly overestimating how big of a "moment in the sun" this gives Mizzou.
Deleted User 286

noosh wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:06 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:52 am I think people forget how bad of a position Mizzou put Kansas and the rest of the Big 12 in. It was solely Mizzou that started the domino of the Big 12 unraveling because of a large desire to be relevant. We are talking about 8 figures of dollars and Kansas's long-term viability as a blueblood being in jeopardy.

This guy gets it.
They did put the conference in danger, but why are they supposed to look out for anyone other than themselves? Not sure we'd have been passing up better options in an effort to protect Mizzou's viability if the tables were turned. Hard to blame them for going to the SEC for football purposes.
Last edited by Deleted User 286 on Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trustee

Post by Trustee »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:55 am I didn’t realize one had to live in KC metro to have an opinion. Thanks for clarifying.

Those of us that do not meet your qualifications will now step away.
Lucky break
shindig

Post by shindig »

Yeah I'm pretty sure if the Big 10 had come calling we would have jumped at the opportunity. Nebraska was the first to take a dump on the Big 12, after that it became a fire sale, everyone looking out for themselves.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Does a basketball GAME have to have national importance/significance before it can be scheduled/played?

And you’re crazy if you don’t think the college basketball media ain’t gonna glom on to the first border war game in nearly a decade. What else will they have to hype up.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:23 am
noosh wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:06 am

This guy gets it.
They did put the conference in danger, but why are they supposed to look out for anyone other than themselves? Not sure we'd have been passing up better options in an effort to protect Mizzou's viability if the tables were turned. Hard to blame them for going to the SEC for football purposes.
This post goes exactly to my first point. Kansas (and Mizzou's) best option at the time was to staying the Big 12. The Big 12 was stable and Nebraska, while always huffy about Texas, was completely committed to staying.

Of course, a great option for Kansas (and Mizzou) was to become School 12 for academic relevance in the Big 10. Except, it wasn't Kansas that called Delaney like a little whore to get a favor for an academic bump and a news headline on ESPN. That was the second rate athletic department to the east with their cartoon character athletic director.