Grimes granted waiver

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 286

Re: Grimes granted waiver

Post by Deleted User 286 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:31 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:28 pmHaha oh come on. Grimes was bad, but Charlie Moore was awful.
Charlie Moore spelled Dotson at PG and Grimes didn't.

That's how bad Grimes was at PG, but he and his camp seem to think he should have played there over Dotson all season.
Eye roll.

Charlie Moore was awful.

Grimes played 27.4mpg.

Moore played 13.1mpg.

Our team was so bad and had so few quality players that Moore had to be out there somewhere and he's not capable of playing anywhere but PG due to size and speed (or lack thereof).

I think we both know Grimes is better than Moore at any position.
Deleted User 286

ousdahl wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:39 pm I just have a hard time buying the idea that Grimes coulda been a better playmaker, but for Self. If that’s part of your game then just go out and make plays.
Oh I don't buy it either within the concept of the team...sure he would have had more highlights if he had played iso ball and been ball dominant, but that's not how we operate....or how any top programs operate. It's not like he's James Harden, regardless of who is coaching him....and if he was he wouldn't have looked so awful at the combine when that's more acceptable.

He's got his chance to be ball dominant now....my guess is he looks better, but still not great. The jump from HS to college exposes a lot of people...the jump from college to NBA exposes the rest of them.

That's the great thing about sports, you get to go earn it.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

So you’re saying Grimes had a hard time with how we or any top programs operate...maybe it’s that Grimes has a problem operating at the top?

And if his problem was Self then why did he still look awful at the combine?

And yeah the great thing about sports is earning it. But it seems like it’s grimes who doesn’t wanna. I dunno if transferring to a non-P5 school will be as good for his career as nutting up and earning it at a top program with a HOF coach. But heck, maybe it will, wish him luck.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:39 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:28 pmHaha oh come on. Grimes was bad, but Charlie Moore was awful.

That's how bad Grimes was at PG, but he and his camp seem to think he should have played there over Dotson all season.
Eye roll.

Charlie Moore was awful.

Grimes played 27.4mpg.

Moore played 13.1mpg.

Our team was so bad and had so few quality players that Moore had to be out there somewhere and he's not capable of playing anywhere but PG due to size and speed (or lack thereof).

If you can't understand why it's very problematic for Grimes as a PG prospect that it's a fact that he never got spell minutes at PG when our backup PG was not worth playing, then I don't know what to tell you.

I know you've taken on the role of board contrarian, but at least make a little bit of sense. You asked for a reason why fans don't like Grimes, one was given, and then you cite some weird irrelevant point about Self being a big boy. Now you're defending Grimes's lack of PG minutes because the other backup PG couldn't play in any other position? It's OK to agree with other posters from time to time.
Deleted User 286

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:55 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:39 pm

Eye roll.

Charlie Moore was awful.

Grimes played 27.4mpg.

Moore played 13.1mpg.

If you can't understand why it's very problematic for Grimes as a PG prospect that it's a fact that he never got spell minutes at PG when our backup PG was not worth playing, then I don't know what to tell you.

I know you've taken on the role of board contrarian, but at least make a little bit of sense. You asked for a reason why fans don't like Grimes, one was given, and then you cite some weird irrelevant point about Self being a big boy. Now you're defending Grimes's lack of PG minutes because the other backup PG couldn't play in any other position? It's OK to agree with other posters from time to time.
I'm not being contrarian with you (at least not on purpose so I'm sorry if it seems that way, so let's just avoid going down that road). I could say you're doing the same.

How many players did we have last year that actually played minutes in the backcourt? Moore HAD to play somewhere when people needed a rest.

Dotson played over 32mpg, so nobody other than him played "PG" much, but like we say every year there's not a ton of difference between our guards, we can play multiple "PGs" at once.

Grimes wasn't a dynamic playmaker that warranted being a "PG" in that sense....his camp wants people to think he can be. I don't think he'll prove them right, but he's going to get his chance.

What I don't get, is did Grime's camp expect Dotson to stand around a chuck 3s instead? I don't understand why it had to be 1 or the other. Both could have played that role while on the court with each other. We move the ball plenty, our guards have plenty of opportunities to create for others...I'd also be curious to see advanced stats on how many minutes Moore was on the floor WITHOUT Dotson, and also it seemed Garrett was sort of utilized as a point forward type role when Dotson was out occasionally, but again we'd need advanced stats that aren't readily available to truly analyze those scenarios.

But come on man, Grimes is a better "PG" than Moore. Moore sucked.
Last edited by Deleted User 286 on Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

If Grimes is a better PG than Moore, then why wasn’t he?
Deleted User 286

ousdahl wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:26 pm If Grimes is a better PG than Moore, then why wasn’t he?
You've got to have 5 guys on the court, so I guess you have to do what's best for the team as a whole...I just don't remember Moore truly playing the role of offense initiator (I don't remember anyone other than Dotson and Garrett doing that honestly)...but maybe I'm forgetting becuase wasn't Garrett our offense initiator a lot when Dotson was out?

This is silly because in close games Dotson didn't even come out hardly at all. So really NOBODY played PG other than him.

No big deal. I've explained myself. Dotson is the PG now. And Moore and Grimes are gone.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:28 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:26 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:25 pmIf Grimes wanted to be PG at KU then he should have been better than Charlie Moore.
FYP. Grimes was so bad.
Haha oh come on. Grimes was bad, but Charlie Moore was awful. So was KJ. Especially by Kansas standards.

The whole team was hard to watch last year other than Dotson and Agbaji.
Charlie has looked like an All American during Depaul's summer European trip and the "Secret Scrimmage"...good for him! Glad Q can play this year! Any victory over the NCAA should be celebrated!
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I'm all for the erosion of the NCAA's control over players. But I don't wish Grimes particularly well. I think he's soft (or at least he was last year), and was a C- where he was counted on to be an A.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

pdub wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:49 pm Dumb.
Rewarded for giving up.
Deleted User 286

He isn't being rewarded. He's just not being punished for wanting to find a place he's happier at....there's a difference.
Deleted User 89

he’s soft and gave up

he’s a quitter

not really all that surprising, given his generation
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:58 am he’s soft and gave up

he’s a quitter

He's a big, strong, athletic-looking dude, yet I've never seen another player, especially of his stature, be such a pussy when taking the ball to the hole; double-pump-finger-roll-bullshit, everytime he got close to the rim. He was good at driving/getting to the basket, but looked like he had no idea what to do when he got there.
Deleted User 89

InfiniteJ wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:14 am

he’s a quitter

He's a big, strong, athletic-looking dude, yet I've never seen another player, especially of his stature, be such a pussy when taking the ball to the hole; double-pump-finger-roll-bullshit, everytime he got close to the rim. He was good at driving/getting to the basket, but looked like he had no idea what to do when he got there.
and unless my memory is mistaken, he had the ball in his hands in iso situations on the wing a bunch...
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

he’s a quitter

good one, michhawk!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

but for real what kind of conditioning is/was he in?

yeah he's big, strong, and athletic looking by normal people standards, but by D1 athlete standards, didn't he sorta look doughy?

how often did he really exhibit the athleticism generally expected of a top 10 recruit and pro prospect?
Deleted User 286

ousdahl wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:05 am but for real what kind of conditioning is/was he in?

yeah he's big, strong, and athletic looking by normal people standards, but by D1 athlete standards, didn't he sorta look doughy?

how often did he really exhibit the athleticism generally expected of a top 10 recruit and pro prospect?
Iirc the combine showed he's not really THAT athletic, especially by NBA standards.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

He showed it during that World Tournament thing Self coached. Then got here and it all went away.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:16 pmBut come on man, Grimes is a better "PG" than Moore. Moore sucked.
The entire point is that there was absolutely an opportunity for Grimes to get PG minutes here, and he didn't get them. That says a lot about how good of a PG he actually was/is.

Dotson playing 35+/game=that was certainly not by design. Not for a 5'11" freshman PG. Thank god he was awesome last season, because he had absolutely no viable spell for his position, because of how bad Grimes and Moore both were.
Deleted User 286

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:22 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:16 pmBut come on man, Grimes is a better "PG" than Moore. Moore sucked.
The entire point is that there was absolutely an opportunity for Grimes to get PG minutes here, and he didn't get them. That says a lot about how good of a PG he actually was/is.
I agree with that 100%. We'd have loved to give Dotson some possessions "off", even if he stayed on the court.

I guess my only issue was that I think Moore was irrelevant to that. Just nit picking I guess.