It’s the first game of the year

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 89

Re: It’s the first game of the year

Post by Deleted User 89 »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:52 am
sdoyel wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:43 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:34 am I don't know that Self's offensive system is that complicated. A lot of different systems doesn't necessarily mean complicated especially when he runs only about 1 or 2 to start the season.

And, if it is complicated, what the fuck is he doing because we haven't been able to score with this core of players.

Last night was mostly about playing poorly, not enough focus, and a little bit about figuring out rotations. Udoka seems to be a slow starter, as well, and perhaps regressed in his ability to make something happen against the double team during his time off.
I hate to say it, but Dok is the problem with this offense.
I have a hard time distinguishing between what is Doke's fault, and what is our guards' fault in terms of getting him the ball in a position to score.
DMac also missed him a half dozen times last night, the last of which was picked off down the stretch
BLACKMILD33

Post by BLACKMILD33 »

WE WILL BE JUST FINE
ROCKCHALKJAYHAWK
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:53 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:34 am I don't know that Self's offensive system is that complicated. A lot of different systems doesn't necessarily mean complicated especially when he runs only about 1 or 2 to start the season.

And, if it is complicated, what the fuck is he doing because we haven't been able to score with this core of players.

Last night was mostly about playing poorly, not enough focus, and a little bit about figuring out rotations. Udoka seems to be a slow starter, as well, and perhaps regressed in his ability to make something happen against the double team during his time off.
Before we go all chicken little, let's remember that Self has figured out how to use Udoka so effectively that he set NCAA records for efficiency.

But, sure, with guys like Agbaji and Dotson, we do not have to run the offense through Udoka, and I don't think we will. Udoka's best season here, we didn't run the offense through him. That's on the staff to figure out and Dotson playing better sure helps a ton.
That's what I mean. The issue is running the offense THROUGH Dok.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think trying to get your 70% field goal shooter the ball where he's comfortable is an important piece of the offense. A large part of last night was trying to get a big guy the ball so that we could a. get high percentage shots when available b. force the double team and play off that and c. get the other team in foul trouble.

We didn't do a good job of that. For Dok. For McCormack. For DeSousa.
Our bigs are going to be a big part of what we do - it'd be dumb not to utilize them.
I don't think our offense is going to run solely through Dok - I don't think it did last night.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I'm a little surprised we were so unprepared for dealing with hard doubles on the bigs. Unless/until we start hurting people for doing that, it's what we'll continue to see.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

You could see Self, out of play stoppage, set up back door screens.
Dok needed to be faster when he felt the double team coming but also our guards needed to better position themselves for him so he could feed out of it.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I thought DMac had some good moments passing out of the double.

But Udoka has always struggled with double. He’ll either walk, get it stripped because he puts the ball on the floor or hurry into a not great shot.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

sdoyel wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:43 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:53 am

Before we go all chicken little, let's remember that Self has figured out how to use Udoka so effectively that he set NCAA records for efficiency.

But, sure, with guys like Agbaji and Dotson, we do not have to run the offense through Udoka, and I don't think we will. Udoka's best season here, we didn't run the offense through him. That's on the staff to figure out and Dotson playing better sure helps a ton.
That's what I mean. The issue is running the offense THROUGH Dok.
If you mean solely through him, then yeah, I think everyone can see why that would be an issue and why we'd score very little this year if we did that, and I don't think a team that is led in scoring by Azubuike is a great team.

That just seems a lot different than saying Dok is the problem. We're usually very vanilla in the champions classic game. Just seem the bigger problem last night was everything that surrounded 28 turnovers.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:51 am I thought DMac had some good moments passing out of the double.

But Udoka has always struggled with double. He’ll either walk, get it stripped because he puts the ball on the floor or hurry into a not great shot.
Udoka has always been a little bit of a black hole. He comes alive with better guard play and passing. His work is early in the possession. You're not just going to throw him the ball on the block every possession and he'll get you 30--post game just isn't rounded enough. Staff and Dotson have to figure that one out.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:49 am I'm a little surprised we were so unprepared for dealing with hard doubles on the bigs. Unless/until we start hurting people for doing that, it's what we'll continue to see.
It's because Danny Manning left!
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yep agree. Dok's best attributes are rebounding, blocked shots and throwing home alley oops.

DMac I think, is a guy who is polished around the post and you can throw the ball to and let him work, and to a lesser extent I think SDS can as well once the rust of game action wears off.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Just seem the bigger problem last night was everything that surrounded 28 turnovers.
this x 1000000000000

last year we averaged 13-14...we do that last night and win by double figures

more than half of duke’s first half points came off KU turnovers
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:34 am
Last night was ALL about figuring out rotations. That's why these games suck so much. It's sloppy basketball by good teams trying to figure themselves out. Michigan State had the same problem.

Self used 10-11 guys in the first half last night and eventually settled into a smaller rotation in the second half. It's what coaches do.

I enjoyed the game and it's so great to have the Jayhawks back. But these are throwaway games, only designed to appease advertisers and fans. All four coaches would prefer to play 6-7 games against decent competition before being thrown into a situation like this - just so they can get comfortable with rotations.

This is going to be a really, really good team. They will present huge match up problems for everyone.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Agree, it was a big part of why the offense wasn't rolling.

But, a rotation should not greatly affect the guards to equal the outrageous amount of jump passes and picked up dribbles.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

chiknbut wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:01 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:34 am
Last night was ALL about figuring out rotations. That's why these games suck so much. It's sloppy basketball by good teams trying to figure themselves out. Michigan State had the same problem.

Self used 10-11 guys in the first half last night and eventually settled into a smaller rotation in the second half. It's what coaches do.

I enjoyed the game and it's so great to have the Jayhawks back. But these are throwaway games, only designed to appease advertisers and fans. All four coaches would prefer to play 6-7 games against decent competition before being thrown into a situation like this - just so they can get comfortable with rotations.

This is going to be a really, really good team. They will present huge match up problems for everyone.
In regards to sloppy basketball, could you imagine being a fan of L'Ville, Miami or others who had CONFERENCE GAMES for their first game of the year!?

DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

I dunno. I'll take the wild, sloppy, up-tempo team we saw last night over last year's sleepy, Dedric-Lawson team any day of the week.

I didn't fall asleep once last night. Not many games I could say that about last year.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:25 am I dunno. I'll take the wild, sloppy, up-tempo team we saw last night over last year's sleepy, Dedric-Lawson team any day of the week.

I didn't fall asleep once last night. Not many games I could say that about last year.
Yes, it was hard to fall asleep when I was constantly screaming "are you f-ing kidding me?!?" at my TV. Our new puppy just about had a heart attack.

But yes, I agree that this offense will be much better than the one we ended with last year. Eventually.
JayhawkInIowa726

Post by JayhawkInIowa726 »

twocoach wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:20 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:50 pm Didn’t think anyone played particularly well.

I honestly don’t think we’ll play a worse game this season.
We probably will against Iowa State and their fans will think it means they are going to the Final Four. Then we'll make the Final Four and they will lose as a 9 seed in the first round.
POTD
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

twocoach wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:48 am I was constantly screaming "are you f-ing kidding me?!?" at my TV.
I did the same at first.
And then just started to shake my head or stare at the ceiling.
And then just gave in.

It went from anger to acceptance that this game was going to be like this.
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

We might have played our worst game of 2019 last night, and we still only lost by one possession. Duke shot pretty poorly, but they just took care of the ball way better than we did.