The Movie Thread

Coffee talk.
jhawks99
Contributor

The Movie Thread

Post by jhawks99 »

Went to the movies with Mrs. 99 and the youngest kid yesterday. We went to see "Last Christmas" starring the dragon lady from GOT. Mrs. 99 loves Christmas movies and I think I've seen every one. Weird movie, kid kept saying this is stupid all the way through. Mrs. 99 loved it cuz it's a Christmas movie. It's pretty sappy, which is another reason she like it.

Mostly, it's just he dragon lady realizing what a terrible person she is and then making everything better all will being really cute for the camera. Then the big twist at the end.
Defense. Rebounds.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by jfish26 »

Mrs. Fish and the older girl guppie went to Frozen II on Saturday. I took the boy guppie to Midway. It was not very good!
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I wanted to see Midway but was worried that it would be awful.
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

My parents liked Midway, go figure.

I haven't been to a movie theater in at least 5 years, lol.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

saw zombieland double tap in the theatre a few weeks ago

not oscar-worthy (obviously) but entertaining...which is really all i was expecting
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Parasite is easily the best movie of the year.

Great reviews for Ford v. Ferrari.

Knives Out should be the best blockbuster of the year.

Next one I see in theaters: Frozen II, of course, with the little shit nieces and nephews.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:39 am Parasite is easily the best movie of the year.

Parasite really surprised me. I thought I would hate it because of the subtitles, but I honestly forgot about them after about ten minutes. Excellent story, excellent acting. Also got dragged to Ford vs. Ferrari expecting to be bored to tears, but it was also really well done. Three hours flew by, which is unusual for me. Highly recommend both.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:10 am My parents liked Midway, go figure.

I haven't been to a movie theater in at least 5 years, lol.
It was just really uninteresting popcorn flick material. Just doesn't stand up to heavyweights in the genre.
Trustee

Post by Trustee »

Looking forward to all of those, minus frozen.

You ever see memories of murder by bong joon ho?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

HouseDivided wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:43 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:39 am Parasite is easily the best movie of the year.

Parasite really surprised me. I thought I would hate it because of the subtitles, but I honestly forgot about them after about ten minutes. Excellent story, excellent acting. Also got dragged to Ford vs. Ferrari expecting to be bored to tears, but it was also really well done. Three hours flew by, which is unusual for me. Highly recommend both.
Was Parasite playing in your part of the world? Pretty cool, if so. Not a chance a foreign film would have been playing when I lived in that area.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Trustee wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:44 amYou ever see memories of murder by bong joon ho?
Yes. It was his previous best film until Parasite.

The Host, Okja, and Mother can all be found on the various streaming platforms.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:45 am

Was Parasite playing in your part of the world? Pretty cool, if so. Not a chance a foreign film would have been playing when I lived in that area.
Younger son is really into artsy movies right now and talked me into taking him when it was showing at Tallgrass Film Festival in Wichita. Probably wouldn't have seen it otherwise.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

HouseDivided wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:50 am

Younger son is really into artsy movies right now and talked me into taking him when it was showing at Tallgrass Film Festival in Wichita. Probably wouldn't have seen it otherwise.
Definitely pretty cool.

I have to say that a big drawback of indies, foreign films, and generally artsy-fartsy movies is that they're often played in real shithole theaters or a random room for a festival. Some call that quaint and authentic. I call it having to sit on a hard-ass chair for 2 hours.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I think THEE big drawback of indies/foreign/artsy fartsy is just how they, as Peter Griffin so eloquently put is, "insist upon themselves."

It's not just sitting on a hard-ass chair for 2 hours, it's sitting on a hard-ass chair watching a film that requires your undivided attention, mentally and emotionally, to apparently make some point about "the human spirit" or love or pity or some shit.

Life is already tough enough. I don't need my entertainment to make it any tougher. I enjoy movies best when it's a nice little 2 hour escape from reality. Humor and whimsy trump existential commentary, for me at least. Just make it amusing.

On that note, I bet Zombieland 2 is superlative, and I'm bummed Tradition didn't invite me to come with.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:54 am
HouseDivided wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:50 am

Definitely pretty cool.

I have to say that a big drawback of indies, foreign films, and generally artsy-fartsy movies is that they're often played in real shithole theaters or a random room for a festival. Some call that quaint and authentic. I call it having to sit on a hard-ass chair for 2 hours.
Agreed. Parasite was good enough that it transcended those environmental factors. By contrast, my son also dragged me to see Lighthouse with Robert Pattinson and Willem Dafoe, which, for some reason, was showing at AMC Theatres. Despite the comfortable reclining seat and bounteous junk food, I was bored stiff for 2 1/2 hours. My son argues that it will compete with Parasite for best movie of the year.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:00 am I think THEE big drawback of indies/foreign/artsy fartsy is just how they, as Peter Griffin so eloquently put is, "insist upon themselves."

It's not just sitting on a hard-ass chair for 2 hours, it's sitting on a hard-ass chair watching a film that requires your undivided attention, mentally and emotionally, to apparently make some point about "the human spirit" or love or pity or some shit.

Life is already tough enough. I don't need my entertainment to make it any tougher. I enjoy movies best when it's a nice little 2 hour escape from reality. Humor and whimsy trump existential commentary, for me at least. Just make it amusing.

On that note, I bet Zombieland 2 is superlative, and I'm bummed Tradition didn't invite me to come with.
You illustrate the difference between film and cinema. Cinema is entertainment; film is art/literature/social commentary in a visual motif. I, too, prefer cinema most of the time.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:00 am I think THEE big drawback of indies/foreign/artsy fartsy is just how they, as Peter Griffin so eloquently put is, "insist upon themselves."

I believe that is called "different strokes."

But, it's also a broad brush. If every small release is put into the same category as "The Lobster," then every wide release is "Transformers."
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:06 am

I believe that is called "different strokes."

But, it's also a broad brush. If every small release is put into the same category as "The Lobster," then every wide release is "Transformers."
The Lobster is another one I was forced to watch that I actually ended up really liking. I've re-watched it, in fact, because there were so many layers to it. Anytime you see John C. Reilly playing a role that doesn't involve fart jokes and wrestling with Will Ferrell, you have to stop and do a double take.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

The Lobster?

'zat one of those straight-to-Youtube movies?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Next up for us will probably be "The Good Liar". Gotta be better than the carpfest we saw yesterday.
Defense. Rebounds.