It's Game Day, Ladies and Gentlemen

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: It's Game Day, Ladies and Gentlemen

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Trustee wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:42 am Sorry. Did you see my response to your luka post?
Yeah, that was a gem. Lost to history!
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:34 am 4 games and 2 exo's in, this is the least I've watched KUBB in 20 years.

And, to back Fish up here a little, I'm not particularly interested in tonight's game, either.

Preemptively, it's not the FBI/NCAA stuff for me. More so about the personnel and makeup. Not much matters until the tourney.

edit: this would make more sense replying to Trustee's snapchat-like post.
it's been this way for a while.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Trustee wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:43 am “Personnel and make up”

No real favorites on this team? Wish for more shooters?
I like our guys plenty. Just not a lot of mystery. Just feels like a get-to-the-tourney-and-hope-we-shoot-well year.

Och is the most intriguing. And if Enaruna can turn himself into a lotto pick for this year.
Trustee

Post by Trustee »

Gotcha.
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:50 am Yeah, that was a gem. Lost to history!
Though sometimes I can’t tell.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Gqcolorado wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:51 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:34 am 4 games and 2 exo's in, this is the least I've watched KUBB in 20 years.

And, to back Fish up here a little, I'm not particularly interested in tonight's game, either.

Preemptively, it's not the FBI/NCAA stuff for me. More so about the personnel and makeup. Not much matters until the tourney.

I don't agree. Blue chip frosh are fun to watch develop and any time there is completely new personnel, the journey is likely to be fun. NPOY candidates are worth the nightly tune-in.

And, as much as I thought the conference title streak was overblown by fans, the drama was definitely worth watching.

None of that is present this season and non-con schedule is pretty soft.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:56 am

I don't agree. Blue chip frosh are fun to watch develop and any time there is completely new personnel, the journey is likely to be fun. NPOY candidates are worth the nightly tune-in.

And, as much as I thought the conference title streak was overblown by fans, the drama was definitely worth watching.

The streak added juice to the regular season (including the non-con, because it was important to be good by January).

Repeated tournament disappointments just sort of blunt interest over time, and without the streak to play for, everything just seems sort of meaningless until March. Particularly with no truly transcendent talent to follow over the course of the regular season.

Which is sort of my complaint about Chaminade - playing dogshit teams does nothing for me. Would rather go into the big boy tournament 25-10 having played a ridiculous schedule than 30-5 having won a bunch of pillow fights.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

But I also don't think there are a "bunch of pillow fights" on this schedule. Outside of UMKC and UW-Milwaukee and then this game against Chaminade, there's many good teams on this schedule.

They just played the 2nd best mid-major according to stat nerds.

Will play Colorado, at Stanford, at Villanova, already played Duke and then have the potential to play UCLA/BYU and then likely Michigan State.

We talked all offseason about how tough of a schedule this is then, because we play one cupcake in what is otherwise a tough tournament field in Maui, that talk is all of a sudden no more?
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

The streak was fun. But overblown, yes.....simply for the fact that the non-diehard world puts very little emphasis on it, and focuses solely on the tournament.

I don't think 'failures' blunt the tournament. Quite the opposite. As long as there are enough wins mixed in to balance the feeling.

Blue Chips. I like em, of course, but the OAD nonsense is past it's 'fun' zone for me, and wish we could go back to actually watching players develop over time. A year (I know many KU players have stayed when we thought they'd go) simply doesn't do that for me.

Let's dominate Chaminade then be pseudo-interested in playing 'real' competition in Maui.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

As for tonight, I actually kinda hope Dok and Devon get limited minutes.

Let other guys get some reps, and besides, our other guys are still more than enough to asspound chaminade.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:25 am But I also don't think there are a "bunch of pillow fights" on this schedule. Outside of UMKC and UW-Milwaukee and then this game against Chaminade, there's many good teams on this schedule.

They just played the 2nd best mid-major according to stat nerds.

Will play Colorado, at Stanford, at Villanova, already played Duke and then have the potential to play UCLA/BYU and then likely Michigan State.

We talked all offseason about how tough of a schedule this is then, because we play one cupcake in what is otherwise a tough tournament field in Maui, that talk is all of a sudden no more?
I would prefer no pillow fights. Particularly because we might well need to divert buy game money to the lawyers.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Will play Colorado, at Stanford, at Villanova, already played Duke and then have the potential to play UCLA/BYU and then likely Michigan State."

And you can laugh, but Eastern Tennessee State should be a NCAA squad - best of their conference.

Chaminade is kinda a favor to the Hawaii school -- I don't think our schedule is particularly weak and I like to have the Milwaukees and Monmouths to get kids like Braun and Enaruna confidence and into the flow.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:02 pm As for tonight, I actually kinda hope Dok and Devon get limited minutes.

Let other guys get some reps, and besides, our other guys are still more than enough to asspound chaminade.
There's no reason for either of them to play more than 20 minutes tonight. Not given past cramping issues there, and not given that we already know Doke is fragile, and Devon is probably one injury away from wearing that label, too.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Bill Walton calling the game tonight. That might there, might be enough reason to watch.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:33 pm Bill Walton calling the game tonight. That might there, might be enough reason to watch with the sound off.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

HOW DARE YOU!?

Bill Walton is a national treasure. Especially when the game is 70-30 midway through the 2nd half and he’s talking about a free dive in Hawaii he did back in the 70s.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:56 am

Disagree.

Familiarity makes me more interested.

Dotson, Dok, Mac, Garrett...this is why I love it.

I want to see the development of Braun and Enaruna too, but that's not nearly as compelling to me as Dok and Dotson.

Blue chip freshmen are like a one night stand, they're fun, but I don't get too attached. I really want to see guys like Dok and Dotson win.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I don't think you actually disagreed with what I posted in the context of my reply to GQ.

So it follows that I don't necessarily disagree with you either.

I guess, for me, I'm also rooting like hell for these guys to win, but it doesn't necessarily translate to feeling a need to watch pillow fights.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:23 pm but it doesn't necessarily translate to feeling a need to watch pillow fights.
It does for me.

I mean, if we're talking about playing, and likely blowing out Chaminade, I'd rather watch a veteran team of known players do it that a team of OADs.

All things being equal, the more veteran team is more fun to watch.

We had largely new personnel last year and it wasn't any fun at all.

To me, Moss is the least compelling player in the rotation, not his fault, but I'm not going to become emotionally invested in a 5th year transfer players as easily as a senior, or a sophomore who decided to come back.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Well what sunk last year was a known headcase going off the deep end and a known injury-prone player getting injured.

But, we're talking about a "to each his own" thing here, so nothing to argue.

For me, it just seems a little like being an NBA favorite this season. 30-4 or 26-8, whatever, this year is about getting back to Atlanta.
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

Never even heard of this fucking team.