AP/Kenpom 2019-20

Kansas Basketball.
NewtonHawk11

Re: AP/Kenpom 2019-20

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

PILLOW FIGHTS!
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

KU #2.

L'Ville #1.

Duke 10 and Michigan State 11.

Michigan unranked to #4.

Dayton #19 after impressive Maui showing.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Dayton is one hell of an efficient offense.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Now Dayton's AP matches around their Kenpom.
Dayton has the 5th AdjO.

Our next opponent, Colorado, is 20th AP/30th Kenpom.
PortlandHawk

Post by PortlandHawk »

Gosh I fucking hate Michigan.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:26 pm Now Dayton's AP matches around their Kenpom.
Dayton has the 5th AdjO.

Our next opponent, Colorado, is 20th AP/30th Kenpom.
Dang, this is a long stretch between games.

Is it finals week? Must be finals week.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Fuck, it’s not?

Then can I please have more games please?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Recovery after 3 games in 3 days hours away. I like the 3 games in Maui compared to 3 games over a week and a half.

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yeah 3 games in as many days is awesome, but now I’m going thru withdrawals.

If I as a fan wanted to wait as many as 10 whole days between games, I’d just watch the NFL.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:58 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:53 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:48 am Honestly, the whole thing works better with Garrett as a sub FOR Dotson, since you don't give up much on offense, and you get better on the other end.
Are we sure about that?

Without Garrett, the defense also drops significantly. Self put him on Toolson last night and Garrett locked him down. The defense starts with Garrett. And he can make a perimeter shot just enough as well as driving to make his time on offense valuable.

Dotson has been fine with Garrett on the floor.

The best lineup for this team is Dotson, Garrett, Moss, Ochai and Udoka. Any lineup with Garrett off the floor stinks because the defense drops big time.
I get it, but you have to step back and think about how this plays out from an overall efficiency standpoint. I have no idea how you'd get good numbers (sample sizes will be too small to just measure what's happened to date), but it would not surprise me at all if the offensive gains from Doton+shooters (no Garrett) far outweigh the losses on defense, in each case on a points per possession basis.

Particularly when you have good-to-great defenders at the 5, you really can live with getting roasted on occasion, if it means you're maximizing your most talented player's opportunities.
Kansas film study: Jayhawks feeding Udoka Azubuike, and the big man is eating well

https://theathletic.com/1427437/2019/12 ... ting-well/
It has become apparent to Self and anyone with working eyes that it is much easier to get Azubuike the ball when surrounded by four perimeter players, but the numbers are even more striking than the visual evidence.

[...]

To further illustrate the importance of playing lineups that make it easier to go through the big man, here are the results for small-ball lineups with Azubuike compared to when he’s playing next to David McCormack or Silvio De Sousa.

Small ball Big ball

Possessions 154 184

Off. Eff. 1.18 0.962

TO% 14.3 22.8

Def. Eff. 0.83 0.86

The Jayhawks look to be an elite defensive team no matter the personnel Self puts on the floor, but offensively it’s obvious the path to success is to play small.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Oh I think that's accurate, and I don't know if that is what we were talking about. It seemed to be about Garrett coming off the floor. I understand he doesn't make it a true 4 guard lineup, but he's got the ability to knock down a 3 a few times a game and can drive by any guy no matter who the big out there is.

You want Garrett off the floor, I think he's more valuable than being a sub when Dotson is out. He doesn't make mistakes. He's a perfect stretch 4, albeit smaller in stature, but can guard seemingly anyone.

MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

MG is not coming off the floor. Nor should he.

The only thing that can take MG off the floor is foul trouble, an injury and a 25 point lead.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
kcmokufan

Post by kcmokufan »

I think Garret is made out to be an offensive liability far more than he actually is. He has been a good driver since last year and his shot has looked much improved. We also shouldn't forget that he is one of the teams best passers.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

kcmokufan wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:45 am I think Garret is made out to be an offensive liability far more than he actually is. He has been a good driver since last year and his shot has looked much improved. We also shouldn't forget that he is one of the teams best passers.
Here is the caveat: he made several bad interior passes. In fact, if you badly feed the post, it negates the positives. I’ll bet, as good as Dok was, KU only broke even on his looks. Their overplay created opportunities for Dotson. He is still the only consistent finisher in close.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

This discussion about Garret was and being an offensive liability was more important last year when Vick fell off the map. No discussion on the defensive end but on offense his best attribute is driving to the basket. Driving to the basket and getting to the rim and scoring or getting fouled. The difference between Dotson and Garret is huge. Garret Ft shooting is below AVG. This also leads to the two big offense problem. Who ever is on the floor is going to get outside shoots versus a lane to drive to the basket. If Garret and Dotson are two of the three other players it does not flow well. Garret is a good fit with one big and three shooters but with two bigs Garret is an offensive liability. Thus the problem with the two big offense. Basically it's Moss versus Garret and if Moss's offense is more of a plus versus not having all the attributes Garret has.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

It’s not Moss vs garret. It’s moss vs McCormack.

It’s garret vs nobody as Garret’s minutes ain’t going to nobody.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

He's a shutdown cornerback. Except more valuable because the other team can only pass. And less valuable because both teams have to play iron man.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Time to stay AP #1 for a long, long time.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I could see pollsters choosing Ohio State over us.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

pdub wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:13 am I could see pollsters choosing Ohio State over us.
And honestly they should. They smashed Nova. Smashed UNC in Chapel Hill. Smashed Penn State (Who just beat Maryland)