Coherent Policy?

Ugh.
twocoach

Re: Coherent Policy?

Post by twocoach »

HouseDivided wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:53 am
twocoach wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:05 am
HouseDivided wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:40 pm

If nothing else, it gets people like you to admit out loud how morally, intellectually, and intrinsically superior you believe yourself to be to the slack-jawed troglodytes who voted the POTUS into power.

Then you wonder why the two sides can’t find any common ground.
Some voted R because of the Supreme Court, gun rights and/or abortion. Others vote R because they support what the GOP used to be when it was the party of fiscal responsibility and the voice of limited government intervention in our life. Shit, if the GOP was still actually that I'd probably vote R from time to time if you modernized your social platform from it's current 1950s model. I only feel that a small subsection of the folks that voted for Trump are that. Just as I believe that a portion of the folks that vote D are folks that I do not personally support in a broader sense.

Your comment accomplishes absolutely nothing stated. Lying about the other side and then complaining that it's the other side that is responsible for not finding common grounds is the pinnacle of absurd hypocrisy.
Look at the statement you made that I was responding to and then ask yourself where I got the ideas I made in my post. Those attitudes are oozing out of your pores every time you post. I’m not the liar or the hypocrite here.
I said that your comment about Obama having an extramarital affair with a man was absurd. That is not a comment about you or my opinion of you, it is a comment about your comment. It was a blantantly absurd lie. Period.

And my comparison to Imzcount was in reference to him constantly barfing unsubstantiated nonsense whenever he posts. Again, not a referendum on you personally. You chose to read it as a personal insult "oozing out of my pores". If you take offense to being compared to IMZCount then don't post like IMZCount.

Pardon me if I take offense to the new normal of barfing unsubstantiated garbage as facts and then later passed off as "just kidding". Trump has now normalized this as the way to communicate for far too many people on both sides of every issue. It is specifically done to ensure that no actual communication occurs between both sides because Trump does not give one flying fuck what anyone else thinks about anything thought in his head or word that he speaks.

So if you are genuine about a civil discourse then don't employ that childish tactic. I fail to live up to that from time to time as well (see my regrettable "he married a hag, a bimbo and an idiot" comment) but at least I try to own up to it.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

" . . . do you feel even a little hesitant about spreading such foolish nonsense knowing that someone like IMZCount will read it and spread it to another site as something he heard and really believes? It's nonsense like this that piles up and leads to pipe bombs being sent and pizza parlors being stormed."

Do you get the subtext of what you are saying? "Some people" (and we all know who you are referring to) are just too dumb to think for themselves; ergo, if those in leadership say things that are too harsh, these same dummies will see it as a call to arms (or "dog whistle" as some of your ilk are fond of saying) and do things like make and send pipe bombs (even though there is no evidence that the person or persons who did that were doing so for Trump or the Republican cause as of this moment) or people storming pizza parlors (which nobody called for nor condoned).

What you don't seem to get is that Trump's rhetoric is a response to an unbelievably hostile media, whose response in turn is a reaction to their corner on the narrative market being stolen from them by someone they loathe, yet claim to cover without bias. It is a ridiculous Mexican standoff, but it is not solely the fault of either side.

I don't really care that much about civil discourse. I just think everyone should be honest about what they are really saying and own their biases up front.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

twocoach wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:31 am
Come on coach, it's gameday...let's go argue in the Emporia state thread about how Marcus Garrett is an offensively liability. Or about how Lightfoot is going to get too many minutes.

Something. Anything other than this.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Go look at IMZCount's posts in the last 24 hours. He literally copying and pasting every hokey website and gif that he stumbles upon without even a moment of consideration as to whether they are valid or not. Whether you like it or not, it is happening. And yes, I am aware that the left has folks doing the same. We all see Feral's gif barfs when Feral finds a fresh source of them.

I just personally try not to chum the waters by adding to the nonsense. You obviously aren't as bothered by playing a part in it as I am. So it goes.
Deleted User 75

twocoach wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:39 am Go look at IMZCount's posts in the last 24 hours. He literally copying and pasting every hokey website and gif that he stumbles upon without even a moment of consideration as to whether they are valid or not. Whether you like it or not, it is happening. And yes, I am aware that the left has folks doing the same. We all see Feral's gif barfs when Feral finds a fresh source of them.

I just personally try not to chum the waters by adding to the nonsense. You obviously aren't as bothered by playing a part in it as I am. So it goes.
I wasn't speaking to, or defending anything that goes on over here....just trying to get 1 of the basketball people back to the basketball board.

That wasn't a shot at you. Just trying to get more activity on the important things. Sports.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:44 am
twocoach wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:39 am Go look at IMZCount's posts in the last 24 hours. He literally copying and pasting every hokey website and gif that he stumbles upon without even a moment of consideration as to whether they are valid or not. Whether you like it or not, it is happening. And yes, I am aware that the left has folks doing the same. We all see Feral's gif barfs when Feral finds a fresh source of them.

I wasn't speaking to, or defending anything that goes on over here....just trying to get 1 of the basketball people back to the basketball board.

That wasn't a shot at you. Just trying to get more activity on the important things. Sports.
That wasnt meant for you. It was to HouseDivided. I just missed the quote button and didn't feel like retyping it.
Deleted User 75

All good. My bad.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

IMZ's binge did not go unnoticed. It doesn't bother me because I choose to sit back and take it in as an observer rather than an involved party, which allows me to choose what I will and will not take to heart. Too many people are allowing the puppet masters (whoever they may be) to whip them into an unthinking frenzy. Predictable but sad.
imzcount

Post by imzcount »

I was just mimicking Feral, posting every “hokey” image I found, but if she can do it, so can I.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

HouseDivided wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:45 am " . . .

What you don't seem to get is that Trump's rhetoric is a response to an unbelievably hostile media, whose response in turn is a reaction to their corner on the narrative market being stolen from them by someone they loathe, yet claim to cover without bias. It is a ridiculous Mexican standoff, but it is not solely the fault of either side.

I don't really care that much about civil discourse. I just think everyone should be honest about what they are really saying and own their biases up front.
Please. Donald Trump has behaved this way forever. It isnt a response to a hostile media. It is a weaponized tactic that he has employed his entire adult life. You can't be honest without recognizing that.

And an unbiased media? Media corporations, like any business, exist to make money and to make good money you cater your product to your clientele. Don't shop for fur coats at WalMart and don't look for cheap household goods at Saks. No news source pitches themselves as the one place to get every angle of every story.

If you want a healthy, balanced diet, then consume a variety of foods. If you want a healthy, balanced reporting of local, national and global news; then consume a variety of news sources. Carrots are great for you but a diet of only carrots will land you in the ER. A diet of only one news source will also get you similarly out of whack.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

twocoach wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:05 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:45 am " . . .

Please. Donald Trump has behaved this way forever. It isnt a response to a hostile media. It is a weaponized tactic that he has employed his entire adult life. You can't be honest without recognizing that.

And an unbiased media? Media corporations, like any business, exist to make money and to make good money you cater your product to your clientele. Don't shop for fur coats at WalMart and don't look for cheap household goods at Saks. No news source pitches themselves as the one place to get every angle of every story.

If you want a healthy, balanced diet, then consume a variety of foods. If you want a healthy, balanced reporting of local, national and global news; then consume a variety of news sources. Carrots are great for you but a diet of only carrots will land you in the ER. A diet of only one news source will also get you similarly out of whack.
Yup. I'm not saying I think that President Trump is a good person or that I would even enjoy being around him. Heck, I think I would really like Bill Clinton in social settings (assuming Dowdy was otherwise occupied), and Dubya would be fun to hang out with. I even think I would enjoy visiting with BO from time to time, although I suspect he would be like one of my Black friends who tends to veer off into civil rights rants a bit too often and forcefully for my tastes. I honestly don't think I could stand tend minutes in a room with The Donald, though.

But that's not what I am looking for in a POTUS. I want somebody who is going to wade into the cesspool and do whatever it takes to get done what I think needs done. If that means eye-gouging and grabbing nuts, then so be it. If he has to play the social media games and name call in order to get this country turned back around, I will hold my nose and reserve judgment. I won't like it; I won't be proud of it, but, kind of like the Roto-Rooter guy, I will be grateful for his service.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Trump as Mr. Roto-Rooter isnt fixing the pipes; he's just pumping the sewage out of our basement and into our yards. That's not "fixed".
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

twocoach wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:25 pm Trump as Mr. Roto-Rooter isnt fixing the pipes; he's just pumping the sewage out of our basement and into our yards. That's not "fixed".
I'd rather have it in the yard than the basement. Better yet, I'd rather have it in somebody else's yard.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

HouseDivided wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:33 pm
twocoach wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:25 pm Trump as Mr. Roto-Rooter isnt fixing the pipes; he's just pumping the sewage out of our basement and into our yards. That's not "fixed".
I'd rather have it in the yard than the basement. Better yet, I'd rather have it in somebody else's yard.
And that fits my overall belief that there are a large number of supporters of the GOP who say they want things fixed and turned in this country but who really just want their life to be better, regardless of how anyone else's lives are impacted.

I'd rarher someone fix the damn pipe right so that no one smells my shit during their day.

I wonder if people more genetically inclined to feel empathy for others and who prefer to recognize the impact of decisions and actions on others are more predisposed to voting D while folks who are less concerned about that while more concerned about their own house, damn the impact on others, are more predisposed to vote R?

It would be interesting to compare Emergenetic profiles and voting. I'd bet there would be some correlation between behavioral and thinking preferences.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

This is close to what you asked for. I cannot attest to the credibility of the source.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... ng-support
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

twocoach wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:14 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:33 pm
And that fits my overall belief that there are a large number of supporters of the GOP who say they want things fixed and turned in this country but who really just want their life to be better, regardless of how anyone else's lives are impacted.
Well, duh.

Do you really think it’s possible for everybody to have a great life at the same time? Regardless of how much you want that to be true, the reality is that, for one person to do well, someone else has to do less well. It’s human nature, and it is the way of the world. There is no magic fix that makes the world great for everybody.

The best we can hope for is to get ourselves to a good place and then choose to help others of our own free will rather than having government choose for us.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Life isn't some zero sum game.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Geezer wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:30 pm Life isn't some zero sum game.
I beg to differ.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Geezer wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:30 pm Life isn't some zero sum game.
It is when you only give a shit about money.

Treating more people more like equal citizens does not mean that someone else gets treated an equal amount "less".
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

HouseDivided wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:21 pm the reality is that, for one person to do well, someone else has to do less well. It’s human nature...
how darwinian, but neither is definitively true

cooperation and altruism are foundations of community...without which society wouldn’t really be possible

you and your’s seem to be motivated by the former, tho