7 things that stand out in KenPom's preseason college basketball rankings

Kansas Basketball.
PhDhawk

7 things that stand out in KenPom's preseason college basketball rankings

Post by PhDhawk »

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... basketball
Kansas is projected to have the best defenseKansas is going to be a scary defensive team. The combination of size, experience and quickness is unmatched around the country.

Bill Self will have plenty of lineup options at his disposal, but how about this one: Marcus Garrett, LaGerald Vick, K.J. Lawson, Dedric Lawson and Udoka Azubuike. That crew can switch across four positions and has a stud rim protector to erase any mistakes. Not that there would be many.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: 7 things that stand out in KenPom's preseason college basketball rankings

Post by pdub »

Are the Lawson's known for their defense?
I guess we'll see.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:41 pm https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... basketball
Kansas is projected to have the best defenseKansas is going to be a scary defensive team. The combination of size, experience and quickness is unmatched around the country.

Bill Self will have plenty of lineup options at his disposal, but how about this one: Marcus Garrett, LaGerald Vick, K.J. Lawson, Dedric Lawson and Udoka Azubuike. That crew can switch across four positions and has a stud rim protector to erase any mistakes. Not that there would be many.
That lineup also might not need to be guarded to the three point line, with the exception of Vick I suppose.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Our defense should improve simply because we have more guys to play, so everyone should be playing full effort defense all the time.

Our length will make it tougher for other teams to score, and we should dominate the defensive glass.

Having said that, I'm not sure we have any GREAT defenders, other than possibly Garrett, so I'll believe the #1 ranking when I see it.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

It's definitely going to be way more about team defense and positioning, and less about individual standout defenders. That said, except when Moore's in, the length should be an advantage at just about every position, all the time.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

pdub wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:05 pm Are the Lawson's known for their defense?
I guess we'll see.
No.
But in other news KU could have it's worst season in Kenpom under Self ( his first year ) if LSU wins tonight.
( 18th now, was 18th in 2004 )
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Our defense was really good when we had Dok altering shots and Dotson wasn't relied on so much on offense.

With no post defensive presence and Moore incapable of spelling Dotson, defense took a big hit.

Would have loved to see Garrett get more minutes at point so Dotson could bring the defensive intensity he had early in the year.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

We will be better at the PG position next season...
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster