Y’all tourists

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: Y’all tourists

Post by ousdahl »

What’s that Homer or Bart Simpson quote that’s like, Sunday after church is the best time of the week cuz it’s the most time you have all week before you have to go to church again
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Big weekend!

“Hi, can y’all give us an early checkin? We’re waking the family up at 4am and leaving super early so we can get there.”

I’d be happy to check on that, sir. What time would you like to check in?

Well whenever we get there, I dunno. We like to check in early so we can nap cuz we’re all so tired from leaving at 4am.

Well sir, I hope you don’t mind me suggesting, but if the only reason you need an early check in is to nap cuz you left home so early, have you considered just sleeping in at home and arriving at the regular check in time?

Well now that would defeat the whole purpose of an early checkin!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Hi, can y’all give us an early checkin?

I’d be happy to check on that for you, ma’am. What time would you like to check in?

Like 4pm?

Actually, ma’am, that’s our normal checkin time, so if you plan to arrive then, your room will be ready.

soooo y’all can’t do an early checkin, then?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:25 pm Big weekend!

“Hi, can y’all give us an early checkin? We’re waking the family up at 4am and leaving super early so we can get there.”

I’d be happy to check on that, sir. What time would you like to check in?

Well whenever we get there, I dunno. We like to check in early so we can nap cuz we’re all so tired from leaving at 4am.

Well sir, I hope you don’t mind me suggesting, but if the only reason you need an early check in is to nap cuz you left home so early, have you considered just sleeping in at home and arriving at the regular check in time?

Well now that would defeat the whole purpose of an early checkin!

Driving at 4am is much preferable to driving at 8 am.

I always leave early on road trips. I dont nap after usually but i completelt understand the reasoning to drive early.
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I'm with Tdub on this one. I'm on the road at 4am at the latest.
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Good comments, and valid context.

When it happened, the exchange just made the menial service workers giggle.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Love your rants ousie.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

His rant is valid here. Leave early if you’d like, but know what you are asking for.

That said, I’m not sure why the conversation jumped from that to telling someone when to leave. Expecting an exact time would seem reasonable and in his control, but suggesting a ‘proper’ travel itinerary seems to be inviting confrontation and gives guest leverage.

They too dumb to know what they need, they shouldn’t be accommodated.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I agree with ous 99% of time.

There’s just a real sense of entitlement, in general. And then to read posters here respond to him. Yikes.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I worked in food service for 3 years, and customer service in general for 9 years total.

I've been screamed at by a woman because milk was served in too large of a glass. I've been berated because library books can only be checked out for 90 days at a time and only renewed 6 times online before they needed to be brought in. (If you're doing the math, that means you could keep a book for ~ a year and a half, and that wasn't long enough)

The thing is, I can smell the bullshit and or see the fatal flaw in Ousdahl's reasoning from a mile away because I've been there.

You can either grant an early check-in or you can't. There's no reason to start an a discussion about when the person is leaving or not. It shouldn't even be a thought in your brain. You take the call, you ask when they want the early check-in, if they don't give you a specific time, you see what's available. At no point do you say, "Well sir, I hope you don’t mind me suggesting, but if the only reason you need an early check in is to nap cuz you left home so early, have you considered just sleeping in at home and arriving at the regular check in time?". That's so much more rude than anything the customer's done up to that point.

I'm sorry. We can talk about how dumb the guy is, but at the end of the day, he wants an early check-in. You get it for him or you don't.

When I got yelled at for bringing a customer too much milk, I didn't comment on how it looked like she had early-onset osteoperosis, I took the milk back and gave her a child's size glass with milk in it.

The second woman either doesn't know what an early check in is, or just really wanted to make sure her room would be available. (Maybe she had a bad experience the previous time or at a previous place -- I went to a summer conference at a ski lodge and my room wasn't ready until long after the key not speaker finished his talk and dinner was served, so probably something like 10 pm. Maybe something similar happened to this woman.

And, sorry, but if she actually did say anything like, "soooo y’all can’t do an early checkin, then?" It was a joke to save face and Ousdahl didn't get it, or she wanted some kind of guarantee...again suggesting a bad earlier experience here or elsewhere.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:42 pm
There’s just a real sense of entitlement, in general.
Agreed. 100%.

But he is their best fishing guide, so they/we cut him a little slack.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:17 pm
Agreed. 100%.

Well, I get it. And, I don’t think ous is an asshole, but hell, he might be. I choose to look at it more as everyone needs an outlet, and this thread is his.

But, something I observed after becoming a road warrior, travel turns people into assholes. And it seems the less you do it, the bigger of one you are. Maybe it’s just people in general.

I won’t feel sorry for ous, but i do believe him. And the responses he gets here is exactly what he’s dealing with.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:28 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:17 pm
Agreed. 100%.

Well, I get it. And, I don’t think ous is an asshole, but hell, he might be. I choose to look at it more as everyone needs an outlet, and this thread is his.

But, something I observed after becoming a road warrior, travel turns people into assholes. And it seems the less you do it, the bigger of one you are. Maybe it’s just people in general.

I won’t feel sorry for ous, but i do believe him. And the responses he gets here is exactly what he’s dealing with.
^^^
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

👌 Ousie is a true raconteur.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Y’all just took this thread to another level!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

And re: the first story today, I should have put the suggestion in parentheses, cuz no way I would *actually* say that to a guest. I understand as well as anyone that it’s a guest’s prerogative to travel however they want, and I def know better than to suggest otherwise.

I honestly don’t intend this as ranting or venting, mostly just as goofy anecdotes that make me and my coworkers giggle. If I come across as less, then y’all are taking me way too seriously.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Okay okay, and if there is deeper substance to this thread, I suppose it’s a case study in travel, and general consumerism.

Here’s some theories:

- an early checkin or late checkout is often more than just about getting in or out early or late. It’s cuz y’all can; cuz it doesn’t hurt to ask, and it’s effectively free stuff. Y’all are getting hooked up! And that’s okay, feel free to ask. (Just don’t be a douche if it’s not available.)*

It’s also about a certain pragmatic consumer leverage. If y’all *dont* get the early checkin, then suddenly y’all get adversarial and act like we’re trying to bone you, or like now we owe you something more. Y’all have a whole suitcase worth of special requests, and if it comes to negotiating something else, then y’all scream BUT YALL DIDNT EVEN GIVE US NO EARLY CHECKIN!

- some of y’all really are cool and just want the late checkout cuz you partied all night.

But yeah, there’s so much entitlement, and so much of an attitude that service workers are second class.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

*here’s some of the common responses to an early checkin not being available:

-remain standing at the desk until it is
- pace around the lobby
- go sit in a car and stew
- call (or physically come back to) the desk every 10 minutes even though the service said they’d call y’all when it’s ready
- try to figure out what room y’all are in then go up to the room and try to get in anyway and/or badger housekeepers about why it’s not ready yet
- maybe (and this is rare), but maaaybe just listen to the service when they offer suggestions about other ways to enjoy your day. Would you like to get a drink, or something to eat? Or go ski? Even if you don’t get on the slopes today, now is a good time to take care of rentals and passes for the rest of the trip. Or take a hike. No literally, y’all are in the mountains! Or perhaps a museum, or a movie, or even bowling. Or here’s a key to the pool and hot tubs, there’s a locker room where you can change. Or go down to the hot springs! Or there’s some cool shops downtown. Or remain standing at the desk and whine about how y’all are ruining another vacation for us. It’s a guest’s prerogative, I know, yes ma’am, I’ll go get the manager for you.

On another general note, vacationers are rarely relaxed. Try to enjoy yallselves!
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

When our flight arrives in the morning, just ask the desk to store your bags until the check in time.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Geezer wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:38 pm When our flight arrives in the morning, just ask the desk to store your bags until the check in time.
This us what everyone does. But now we're apparently entitled assholes for doing so.

I ordered a pizza the other night, they offered my free parmesan and crushed red pepper. Now I know to refuse it. What a selfish piece of shit I'd been for expecting this hook up. Gonna go back tonight and apologize for being a douche.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.