Automobiles

Coffee talk.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Automobiles

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:29 pm Don't understand that concept. At all.
(It's not at all meant to ever leave the roads between Whole Foods and Orange Theory.)
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Ok, Jeep Gladiator Mojave.

I am in!

https://youtu.be/MOy3KhbFtVc
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

wife wants a wrangler (if we were to get something new)...can’t convince her the gladiator is more versatile
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Ordered my Mojave today. This will be the 17th Jeep I have owned.

May well be my last Jeep build as well.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:10 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:29 pm Don't understand that concept. At all.
(It's not at all meant to ever leave the roads between Whole Foods and Orange Theory.)
Strong post.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

the hummer electric strikes me as an attempt to appeal to the demographic that might like the Tesla truck but still holds a loyalty to Detroit brands? Or something. If there's even a demographic there. (seriously, hummer?)

but yeah, in general I'm ready to be done with gasoline, and look forward to a new era of vehicles.

I heard an interesting thought: the driver who never gets behind the wheel of a gas-powered vehicle has already been born.

or heck, depending on how long my truck lasts me, and assuming the technology continues to progress, my truck might be the last gas vehicle I own. and as much as I'd like to do away with gas, I sure as shit am gonna miss a manual transmission.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:11 am my truck might be the last gas vehicle I own.
Yea, diesel is better for most things anyway.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

This not about automobiles, but clean energy.

Windmill turbines filling up landfill space....no easy way (economical) to recycle them....just about every other piece, yes, but not turbine....

....figuring this out is gonna get some people rich.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

same is true for batteries for electric cars
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

And here's a concept I don't understand, spending ~$100k on these:

Deleted User 295

Post by Deleted User 295 »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:30 am
And here's a concept I don't understand, spending ~$100k on these:

No shit.

Without throwaway type money, I don't understand the concept of spending 100k on a vehicle period.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

But even if I had throwaway money to spend on a car - those are fucking hideous. It's like a vanity purchase to be able to say you have so much money that you can spend it on something that fucking hideous.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Anyone remember the "Real American Hero" beer commercials? They did one that was very short-lived on SUV-guy. The line I remember is "The only off roading that thing will ever do is if you accidentally back over your wife's flower bed." I think it was short-lived cuz it hit too close to home for their customers.

Seems to fit here.
Defense. Rebounds.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:38 am Anyone remember the "Real American Hero" beer commercials? They did one that was very short-lived on SUV-guy. The line I remember is "The only off roading that thing will ever do is if you accidentally back over your wife's flower bed." I think it was short-lived cuz it hit too close to home for their customers.

Seems to fit here.
But even so! Disregard that >95% of buyers of luxury SUVs will never go off-road. Set that aside.

I just don't understand, if you're shopping in this aisle, how you end up with those squished abominations. It's like you want some (but not very much) of the good things about four-dour performance "coupes" (that aren't coupes), like the BMW M6 Gran Coupe, or Audi A7, with some (but not very much) of the good things about true luxury SUVs (too many examples to count), but with the lipstick-on-a-pig version of this aesthetic:

Last edited by jfish26 on Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Ugliest car ever. I see them around here every once in a while.
Defense. Rebounds.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I had a Chevy Blazer for a while. Until it got too expensive to maintain. Perfect size for me. I could drive it around town and park it anywhere a car would fit. Much better than my Dad's 85 Suburban. Geebus that thing was huge.

If I had the cash I wouldn't mind having luxury SUV about that same size.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 295

jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:35 am But even if I had throwaway money to spend on a car - those are fucking hideous. It's like a vanity purchase to be able to say you have so much money that you can spend it on something that fucking hideous.
Definitely a weird flex.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’m guessing the luxury SUVs are for folks who, for instance in CO markets, want the high clearance that really is nice for traveling in winter weather.

They could just get a Ford Explorer or something, but that’s just not bougie enough.
Deleted User 295

I've had 2 expeditions, but I'd never buy a brand new 1 for all that $
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:35 pm I've had 2 expeditions, but I'd never buy a brand new 1 for all that $
It is pretty goddamned crazy what some things cost these days. You can be into a pretty normal pickup (so, like, not Denali or what have you) for $50k before batting an eye.