Ochai Agbaji

Kansas Basketball.
Soklous

Re: Ochai Agbaji

Post by Soklous »

pdub wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:58 pm Well Grimes is shooting 42% and 29% from 3.
Vick is shooting 47% and 43% from 3.

In the conversation about reliability, Vick is 28% on 15-52 from 3 over the last 10 games. I am aware he had his shot falling for a few early.

This really wasn’t a comparison of the 2. It was all about “I can’t call Vick reliable”.
I am, I said.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Vick reliably regresses once conference play nears and starts.
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

I think we'll win the conference, but we're screwed in the tourney this year.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I could buy the opposite argument. Bill needs time to tinker with the lineup. That's going to mean losses in conference play. Could very well mean a tie for 1st or even 2nd.

Grimes may well figure it all out right at the end of the season. That makes us a hell of an out for any team, especially if we somehow land playing in Kansas City.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

lobster wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:06 pm I think we'll win the conference, but we're screwed in the tourney this year.
JFC
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:09 pm I could buy the opposite argument. Bill needs time to tinker with the lineup. That's going to mean losses in conference play. Could very well mean a tie for 1st or even 2nd.

Grimes may well figure it all out right at the end of the season. That makes us a hell of an out for any team, especially if we somehow land playing in Kansas City.
I don't think being in KC makes us tougher to beat.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

lobster wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:06 pm I think we'll win the conference, but we're screwed in the tourney this year.
Just put "At some point this year I think this team is doomed" in your signature and save a bunch of posts.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

twocoach wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:51 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:51 am If we didn't have MG we'd just have to find a way to play 2 bigs more or give KJ more time.

Lose dedric and we're in big trouble.
Lose Dotson and we're in big trouble.
Lose Vick and we've got nearly no reliable scoring output from our backcourt.
In his last 6 games, Vick has 24 made baskets.

And 25 turnovers.
I keep rooting for the guy, but he is his own worst enemy.
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

twocoach wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:38 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:09 pm I could buy the opposite argument. Bill needs time to tinker with the lineup. That's going to mean losses in conference play. Could very well mean a tie for 1st or even 2nd.

I don't think being in KC makes us tougher to beat.
Certainly not at that cursed venue.
Deleted User 104

I hope I'm wrong, and I very well could be, but losing both Azubuike and DeSousa is not a light blow for our title hopes. I still think we'll win the conference, so I'm not sure why people accuse me of thinking we're doomed. I'm just trying to be realistic about the NCAA tourney expectations with us losing 2 of our most important bigs. Maybe we'll do what we did n 2012, who knows. I hope so.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

For our title hopes, I do think we need either of Grimes or Ochai to start hitting 3's at, oh, 37% or so.
Deleted User 104

Good point. If Vick cannot be more consistent, we'll need some more shooting from somewhere. We might see it from one of those two.

I was just thinking last night about the 2012 team. If only that team had some more reliable shooting, what could have been...
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"I was just thinking last night about the 2012 team. If only that team had some more reliable shooting, what could have been..."

We've discussed that.
Deleted User 104

You know, I had forgotten that. You just reopened a deep wound.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Also this guy probably would have been better than Justin Wesley.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

Kansas City is only cursed for the holiday game. Our record in tournaments is quite good, one including the ginger tears of UNC.
I am, I said.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

lobster wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:30 pm

I hope I'm wrong, and I very well could be, but losing both Azubuike and DeSousa is not a light blow for our title hopes. I still think we'll win the conference, so I'm not sure why people accuse me of thinking we're doomed. I'm just trying to be realistic about the NCAA tourney expectations with us losing 2 of our most important bigs. Maybe we'll do what we did n 2012, who knows. I hope so.
There are just countless examples of teams with high ceilings who never really put it together until the very end.

That has almost never been us as we are usually a machine in noncon, conference and the tourney, but that seems like a recipe that could be this season. Frosh guards, etc.

De Sousa and Azubuike are (would be) huge losses, but I guess the advantage is that we know we're without them. Still have half the season to play left.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

Still ranked 7th and 2 losses for the season. We beat Tennessee without DeSousa or Doke more or less. No one should be packing in anything but some holiday fudge.
I am, I said.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:43 pm
Just put "At some point this year I think this team is doomed" in your signature and save a bunch of posts.
I'm old enough to remember when Malik Newman was garbage.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

twocoach wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:51 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:51 am If we didn't have MG we'd just have to find a way to play 2 bigs more or give KJ more time.

Lose dedric and we're in big trouble.
Lose Dotson and we're in big trouble.
Lose Vick and we've got nearly no reliable scoring output from our backcourt.
In his last 6 games, Vick has 24 made baskets.

And 25 turnovers.
ugh