Q gone...

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Q gone...

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:56 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:55 am
pdub wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:54 am I don't think he 'stole' anything from Kansas.
It's just disappointing to have players spend a year here and then bounce.
I'd prefer three or four years of a guy.
And yet, you staunchly oppose the single most logical thing that would keep kids in school longer.
I want more kids who want to be here rather than more Quentin Grimes's.
As specific to why Grimes doesn't want to be here: I agree. He didn't buy into what Bill was selling.

But, you made a general statement about not wanting players to be here for a year. About preferring guys that stay longer.

And there is an obvious way to make it so that the kids who really want to be here have less of a reason to leave early.
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

Yeah, I'm not convinced he is gone for sure. Vick seemed 100% certain he was gone. Grimes might return when he gets some feedback on the reality of his situation.

Going through the comments on his Instagram, I felt bad for him. Some people were just trying to wake him up.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

lobster wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:41 amGoing through the comments on his Instagram, I felt bad for him. Some people were just trying to wake him up.
Whenever anyone thinks that KU fans are somehow better than UK fans, remember this.
Deleted User 104

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:44 am
lobster wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:41 amGoing through the comments on his Instagram, I felt bad for him. Some people were just trying to wake him up.
Whenever anyone thinks that KU fans are somehow better than UK fans, remember this.
Ha! There definitely were a lot of assholes on there saying horrible stuff.
LVCHawk

Post by LVCHawk »

All teams have douche fans, but lets not downplay how bad UK fans are. They are a different breed.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:11 am
PhDhawk wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:13 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:33 am There are 2 sides to every coin.

If he comes back and looks similar then he's going to hurt himself even more than he did this year.

If he comes back and looks better, but then tears his ACL he's in a worse spot.

There are scenarios where it works/helps to come back and there are scenarios where it doesn't help.

But only 1 of those scenarios results in him playing for free when he could get paid to play.
Based on how he played, his smartest mive might be to get a degree. He's probably not going anywhere long term that will make him rich. He's gonna need to get a job after his 4 years in Australia.
No doubt that there's a chance you're correct, but he can do that after playing 4 years in Australia. I'd hope that he'd always be welcome back to Kansas free of charge.
He could also play his 4 years after getting a degree. Then he gets 8 years of playing ball instead of 5, 4 as a BMOC in front of 16,300.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

lobster wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:49 am
If any of these kids had true "mentors" (and not handlers with hands out), they wouldn't have access to their own mentions.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:14 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:55 am

And yet, you staunchly oppose the single most logical thing that would keep kids in school longer.
As specific to why Grimes doesn't want to be here: I agree. He didn't buy into what Bill was selling.

But, you made a general statement about not wanting players to be here for a year. About preferring guys that stay longer.

And there is an obvious way to make it so that the kids who really want to be here have less of a reason to leave early.
There is your solution/wants.
There is my solution/wants.
And round and round we go.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

pdub wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:16 pm

Yeah, but yours remind me of a "Which GoT Character are you" quiz on Buzzfeed.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:16 pm

I vaguely remember there being another thread (or 15) for that discussion.

That said I'm super excited about Braun and McBride. And while Hurt would be the best player NEXT season...I think my excitement about 4 years of the either of the two 4* recruits is greater than my excitement about 1 potential year with Hurt.

If Hurt commits, that might change...but I don't think so.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:24 pm Yeah, but yours remind me of a "Which GoT Character are you" quiz on Buzzfeed.
OK, Tywin Lannister.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:31 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:28 am
PhDhawk wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:26 am
I think there is a decent chance that if selden left after his freshman year he'd have gotten drafted. I also think there's a decent chance that his NBA career would already be over. I think he learned a lot by staying and maturing (as lobster keeps saying) that likely helped him through. Signing a second contract is so much more important than being a second round pick.

For Grimes, I'm not sure if he is capable of having a workout that overcomes what he showed in games. If it's really in there, he should stay and prove it. If it's not there he's not going to be succesful anyway.
Yes, like I said, his new goal needs to be getting drafted at all. This summer, next summer, or whenever.

His stock is the lowest it's ever been.
But, his stock might now reflect reality more than it ever has.
This. Grimes is example 1A of why the NBA has the OAD rule in place. Grimes would have been a Top 10, maybe even Top 5 pick in last year's draft. You guys think some KU fans have been hard on the kid? Can you imagine the shit he would have taken if he went out as a Top 5 pick and played like he did this past season?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:01 pm
lobster wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:49 am

If any of these kids had true "mentors" (and not handlers with hands out), they wouldn't have access to their own mentions.
I didn't read the comments, but I don't like how insulting comments make our fanbase look.

But honestly, I keep being told that none of these guys wants to play college ball anyway and they all just want to get paid, so why would they even give a fuck about college fans making negative comments about them.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Save the asshole comments for kansascrimson.
Don't post directly at him.
Levels of tact.
Deleted User 104

What I don't get is why our "fans" would wish a guy to fail. UK fans do it a lot as well. I just don't get it. I WANT Grimes to succeed. That is why I want him to return to college. Even if he transfers to another school, it would be better than going pro right now (at least from what I can tell). With the exception of a few, I want everyone who wears a Kansas jersey to succeed. I was mad when Diallo left, but I'm very glad to see he's made a living in the NBA and is doing pretty good.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

What’s Quentin’s mentor/family situation like?

Is there any substance to the rumor he’s not going to class?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don't wish any ill will on Grimes.
If he does well in the NBA, good for him.
But I won't search out his box scores or highlights like I do for dudes like Vonte, Mason and Selden.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

twocoach wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:42 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:28 am

Yes, like I said, his new goal needs to be getting drafted at all. This summer, next summer, or whenever.

His stock is the lowest it's ever been.
This. Grimes is example 1A of why the NBA has the OAD rule in place. Grimes would have been a Top 10, maybe even Top 5 pick in last year's draft. You guys think some KU fans have been hard on the kid? Can you imagine the shit he would have taken if he went out as a Top 5 pick and played like he did this past season?

He was never projected as a top 5 pick.

All 3 duke kids would have gone ahead of him. Doncic. Trae Young. I could go on. That's silliness.
Deleted User 104

pdub wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:58 pm I don't wish any ill will on Grimes.
If he does well in the NBA, good for him.
But I won't search out his box scores or highlights like I do for dudes like Vonte, Mason and Selden.
Selden had a great attitude. I miss that guy. Was pretty talented, but waited until the right time to go.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:01 pm
twocoach wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:42 pm

He was never projected as a top 5 pick.

All 3 duke kids would have gone ahead of him. Doncic. Trae Young. I could go on. That's silliness.
I think you're right that he'd have been outside the top 5...but you can't include Young in this argument unless the claim is that the OAD rule had only been revoked prior to this season.

In all likelihood he'd have been mid-first round. But I don't think that makes the point any less valid. Don't go NDBaller mode and miss the forest for the trees.

Stay in your lane bro.