Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Punt the Big 12 Tourney Petition

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:51 pm
jfish26 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:08 pm
twocoach wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:49 pm
That isnt happening. Bill Self doesnt do that and I dont see him starting to do that. Fans do this same dance every year, mainly because they are freaked out about how good a shot the team has so they want them all wrapped in bubble wrap and stored away for the tourney.

Every game is a chance to get better and a chance to gain valuable experience and reps. View it as a chance to help prepare to win a national title instead of a chance to get injured and lose a national title and you'll live longer.

We have a maximum of 10 games left. I hope they play hard and win them all.
It's easy to say all of this, but don't you get a pit in your stomach in advance at the thought of, say, Doke breaking a wrist playing Oklahoma next Thursday?

The chances are small, but obviously not remote (especially when there's really three indispensable guys, each with history).
Dok two wrist injuries have both happened in practice, correct?

Should Self hold him out of practice?

At some some point, preventative steps such as this just prevent you from winning. If we are up 15 with 4 minutes left then put SFS in and let him finish it out and save a few reps. Outside of that...it's sports. Fluky things happen sometimes.
(No one is saying that it is only possible for players to be injured in games. It is incontrovertible that a player can only be hurt when he's doing something, and playing in games is doing something.)

I'm glad you've heard the joke about prevent defenses, but in this case, we're talking about winning something that has no positive impact whatsoever on our seeding. By "playing to win", marginally-good (but ultimately meaningless) things can happen. And very very bad, and fate-sealing, things can happen.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

The conference tourney is utterly meaningless 90% of KU seasons.
Just Ledoux it
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

The conference tournament should be played over xmas week.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:15 pm The conference tournament should be played over xmas week.
Right. Could you imagine, like, the World Baseball Classic being played between the regular season and the playoffs? I'm sure the Dodgers would love for Walker Buehler to go throw 21 innings after 34 starts and before the playoffs.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

The Big 8 used to have a holiday tournament around Christmas time and the the post season tournament.
Defense. Rebounds.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:15 pm The conference tournament should be stopped, and the auto bid should be given to the regular season champs.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Christmas week is a stretch. But I'd say end of February. Give all teams 2 weeks after season/conference tournament ends before the NCAA tournament begins. It really is tough for guys to grind all year, play 2 games a week for 2 1/2 months and then start the biggest tournament of their lives just 5-7 days after their conference tournament ends.

That's why sometimes upsets happen with the smaller schools doing well. Their conference tournaments end a good week before everyone else.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NDballer13 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:30 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:15 pm The conference tournament should be stopped, and the auto bid should be given to the regular season champs.
Fine, but if I'm going to give auto bid to regular season champ (which is also fine), then I don't see the need for a tournament at all.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Some perspective, though: KU and Gonzaga are probably the only two fan bases that just really hate the conference tourney.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:33 pm
Fine, but if I'm going to give auto bid to regular season champ (which is also fine), then I don't see the need for a tournament at all.
That's exactly what I just said, lol.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NDballer13 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:43 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:33 pm
That's exactly what I just said, lol.
whoops! The board needs redlining, I guess. Just what I need more of.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:37 pm Some perspective, though: KU and Gonzaga are probably the only two fan bases that just really hate the conference tourney.
Realignment has sucked some fun out, to be sure. When ISU isn't good, there's just not a lot to get excited about.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Anyone know which is bigger? Big12 Tournament Tv rights revenue or ticket sales? Im just curious the ratio of league profit between the two.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

DrPepper wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:53 pm Anyone know which is bigger? Big12 Tournament Tv rights revenue or ticket sales? Im just curious the ratio of league profit between the two.
Depends on the current price per bushel of Iowa corn.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DrPepper wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:53 pm Anyone know which is bigger? Big12 Tournament Tv rights revenue or ticket sales? Im just curious the ratio of league profit between the two.
I would guess that there's not a specific dollar figure tied to the tournament's TV rights (just that those rights are included in whatever ESPN is paying).
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Conference Tournaments are exciting for fans of bubble programs - and those who bet on the games. Otherwise, I honestly don't know why fans would give a fuck about them.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

I absolutely love the conference tournaments.

Just not the Big XII one, for the reasons others have stated here.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

not trying to be a contrarian, but...meh.

the tourney gives you sport book action. that's upside
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:51 am Minus an emergency situation, I would be ok if we don’t see sds again this season.

The kid has been too much work for the return.
I get hoping we dont need him in the rotation. having him back will be a huge luxury just in case any what if scenarios occur, like dok twisting an ankle or dmac picking up 5 fouls in 5 minutes. Im happy we have a 3rd big just in case
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:35 am
pdub wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:31 am
NDballer13 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:27 am

How important is it actually to "pick" the location? Even if they are the #2 overall they are still getting sent to Omaha/Indy.
Very very likely.
But there might, and emphasis on might, be a scenario where Dayton wins out, we loose 2 games in a row, and we are the 4th 1 seed behind Gonzaga, Dayton and Baylor, which might mean we go East.
I think our floor right now is the #2 overall seed. Gonzaga, San Diego St., Dayton...none of them can get enough wins where being above us would even pass the laugh test.
I think the only way we aren't #1 overall is if we lose to tech this weekend and lose in the big 12 tournament and baylor wins it. gonzaga, san diego st, dayton... all good teams. all nice records. all of them don't even come close to comparing to our resume when you look at the wins and strength of schedule