COVID-19 numbers

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 307

Re: COVID-19 numbers

Post by Deleted User 307 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:05 pm
That's what I started this whole thing with the question of what the fuck happened in Italy?
My suspicion is Carnival. Hundreds of thousands of people from across the world visiting. My sister in law was there when they finally shut things down, and she had to go back home to Austria. All it takes is a few asymptomatic people in the crowd. Then you have people taking that disease home, be it Milan, Barcelona, US, etc.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

Vega wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:11 pm
That's what I started this whole thing with the question of what the fuck happened in Italy?
My suspicion is Carnival. Hundreds of thousands of people from across the world visiting. My sister in law was there when they finally shut things down, and she had to go back home to Austria. All it takes is a few asymptomatic people in the crowd. Then you have people taking that disease home, be it Milan, Barcelona, US, etc.
i read average age and prevalence of smoking has been a big factor
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Northern Italy has large numbers of Chinese workers who were brought in from Wuhan province to assemble designer bags and other leatherworks. The math isn’t hard to do.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

HouseDivided wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:17 pm Northern Italy has large numbers of Chinese workers who were brought in from Wuhan province to assemble designer bags and other leatherworks. The math isn’t hard to do.
I didn't realize psych was a mancrappin' county commissioner.
Deleted User 307

HouseDivided wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:17 pm Northern Italy has large numbers of Chinese workers who were brought in from Wuhan province to assemble designer bags and other leatherworks. The math isn’t hard to do.
Good God....
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

TraditionKU wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:35 pm i’ll also add that asian societies tend to not cluster socially to the degree many western societies do
This is the exact opposite of what i have been led to believe by people who have been there. I havent been there so I cant say whose right or wrong.
Just Ledoux it
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:19 pm
I didn't realize psych was a mancrappin' county commissioner.
I don’t understand the reference. Not sure what’s difficult to understand about people going to visit relatives in a viral hot zone and then coming back to work in northern Italy. How is that different than pinpointing spring breakers from New York coming down to Florida and spreading the virus? Same principle.
Deleted User 307

Closing in on a million cases today.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Vega wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:11 pm
Carnival's a good guess.

I heard a while back that officials thought the problem became much worse in Italy because Italians just didn't take the threat seriously. When shit started shutting down, instead of sheltering in place for the sake of not spreading a pandemic, too many Italians said OH COOL WE'RE OFF SCHOOL AND WORK, YALL WANNA GO TO THE BEACH?

also, fun fact: the Italian term for a redneck tourist is "il yallo"
Deleted User 307

I was poking around the numbers this morning, and realized that Italy has a 12% death rate on their confirmed cases. Is it just more deadly there/less health care options, or are there 6-12x more cases in Italy that just aren't being reported on? Spain also has about a 9% death rate compared to their confirmed cases. U.S, at 1.5% or so.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Isn’t a big factor in Italy also the older average age of the population?
Deleted User 307

Median age is 45.5 years in Italy is and 38 in US. I don't know if that factors into 8 times more deaths.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

In this case the mean age is a more telling number because the mortality rate is very skewed by age. Thus if there are a lot more people in the 70-80 range than 20-30 range the median age wouldn't be indicative because the mortality rate of the higher aged group would alter the overall mortality rate.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

smh

My father was so proud of his time in the Navy, I'm glad he didn't have to see this.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

If you thought being on a contaminated cruise ship was bad just imagine being on an aircraft carrier. Yikes.

Just my assumption for Italy's higher numbers: age, diet, and smoking.
Holidaysmore - 2005
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

Do you have a reference for this, Psych.

Other than this, I mean:

https://www.altnewsmedia.net/news/coron ... why-italy/
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

chiknbut wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:55 pm

Other than this, I mean:

It was on the White supremacist podcast I listen to every day and the last issue of Der Sturmer. Why? You don't subscribe, I take it?
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

HouseDivided wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:15 pm
chiknbut wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:55 pm

Other than this, I mean:

It was on the White supremacist podcast I listen to every day and the last issue of Der Sturmer. Why? You don't subscribe, I take it?
So you don't have a source or link?
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

he’s too busy