What happened to the immigration thread?

Ugh.
ousdahl

Re: What happened to the immigration thread?

Post by ousdahl »

Yes!

And that’s why we need to teach CRT in schools.

Otherwise, it’s taught like racism is a thing of the past, when it’s still very much an ongoing problem
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

JKLivin wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:06 pm
Mjl wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:51 pm Who told you it's the central focus?
What schools teach CRT?
You forget that I spend all day around educators.
Yeah, it really is hard to remember that.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

JKLivin wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:07 pm
zsn wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:32 pm
JKLivin wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:40 pm

Depends on what you mean by “downplay”. I don’t think you gloss it over, but I also don’t think you make it the central focus. Not sure why we can’t find that balance.
Ok, show me the balanced way to teach history in a way that explains we have had race-based slavery and segregation in this country longer than the time we haven’t
Why does that matter? Are they a current reality?
You're an "educator" and you actually asked both those questions?

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:27 pm

Ok, show me the balanced way to teach history in a way that explains we have had race-based slavery and segregation in this country longer than the time we haven’t

POTD
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

If you read my previous post, you know that I was referring to the current practice of making EVERYTHING about race and discrimination and bad, bad oppressors. It is a small part of history, not the totality.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

You're telling me that is what teachers in Bumblefuck, KS are teaching?
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Mjl wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:46 am You're telling me that is what teachers in Bumblefuck, KS are teaching?
I'm certainly not in bumblefuck IL, but they aren't teaching it to my 2nd grader.

I think there's a big difference between teaching the full history of our country/the world to elementary kids vs to high schoolers.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

JKLivin wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:30 am

If you read my previous post, you know that I was referring to the current practice of making EVERYTHING about race and discrimination and bad, bad oppressors. It is a small part of history, not the totality.
This was the post you quoted.... "Ok, show me the balanced way to teach history in a way that explains we have had race-based slavery and segregation in this country longer than the time we haven’t"
And this was your response - "Why does that matter? Are they a current reality?"

Sorry I misunderstood exactly what you posted. I thought it was pretty much black and white (no pun intended) and you were asking why it mattered to teach an important part of our country's history - and you were stating (or at least implying) if something isn't a "current reality", it doesn't (or shouldn't?) matter.
My mistake!

Moving on.....
Who exactly is making "EVERYTHING" about race and discrimination?
Should race and discrimination not be an important topic to teach/discuss when were are referring to the history of this country?
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Gutter- they haven’t got that far in the Faux News Talking Points Syllabus. They’re still hung up at the CRT = BAAAD part even though no one has any idea what CRT actually is. If they were honest they would have to admit and then teach that just about every public policy since the Civil War had undertones and effect of undoing the results of the War (ie. Racists lost). They would have to teach that one Party relied on this strategy (Southern Strategy) as its political platform. As I said before a good portion of the population wants to conveniently forget and brush under the rug the reality that a majority of this country’s past had policies based on racism and segregation.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

#WokeGotcha
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

This article from the NY Times has it all; immigration, racism, slavery AND it is set in the Empire! Immigration is confusing in a place where the border and governmental control has changed multiple times.

And to go to all gutter on you, I did help Chip install the piece he is sitting in front of in the lead photo.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/17/arts ... d%20Design
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

JKLivin wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:55 pm#WokeGotcha
You realize that you just parrot right wing talking points (woke! CRT! Brandon!) without even understanding them... Don't you? Like, have you ever had an original thought? Because the way you parrot those things is... pathetic.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Mjl wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:56 pm
You realize that you just parrot right wing talking points (woke! CRT! Brandon!) without even understanding them... Don't you? Like, have you ever had an original thought? Because the way you parrot those things is... pathetic.
You would be incorrect. I read widely and arrive at my own conclusions.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

JKLivin wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:38 pm
Mjl wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:56 pm
You would be incorrect. I read widely and arrive at my own fucked up conclusions.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

tragedy in San Antonio…at least 46 migrants found dead in a semi trailer, along with several others hanging on to life (including children)
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Deleted User 863

KUTradition wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:54 am tragedy in San Antonio…at least 46 migrants found dead in a semi trailer, along with several others hanging on to life (including children)
https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/27/us/san-a ... index.html
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

death toll to 50
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:21 am death toll to 50
51, 12 females 39 males
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

the world better come to terms with refugees/migrants pretty quickly

closing borders isn’t the answer, and is quite possibly the most immoral action to take. a step down from that, is using immigrants as pawns in political gamesmanship (pointing at you, abbott and deathsantis)

where is the humanity and compassion from the folks who like to claim that this is a christian nation?

we’re just now seeing the beginnings of climate refugees…it’s only going to get worse
Deleted User 863

We also need to come to grips with the fact that unless major lifestyle changes take place our planet is over populated. Our planet can't sustain this amount of people as currently constructed.