Pizza

Coffee talk.
twocoach

Re: Pizza

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:57 am Not sure if you did delivery, but something I have been reminded of over and over during COVID is how shitty delivery makes the food.
I don't do food delivery of any kind. I like getting out of my house when I can.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

We did delivery. It was still warm enough when it got to us. I wasn't a fan of the crust, the sauce was non existent. I got pepperoni and mushroom. Had enough pepperoni on it, but very little (and very small) mushroom pieces.
Defense. Rebounds.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:04 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:57 am Not sure if you did delivery, but something I have been reminded of over and over during COVID is how shitty delivery makes the food.
Good point!

Tho while everything has a shelf life once put in a box, pizza prob has a longer window and does better delivered than, say, burgers and fries type food.
Agree with both you and fish that different foods handle differently.

Still, there's just no substitute from kitchen to table. Missed that from my favorite spots.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:04 am
I don't do food delivery of any kind. I like getting out of my house when I can.
I almost always pick up instead of deliver. The Doordashes of the world are so shitty to restaurants. Your food also takes a way more direct route back to your home.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:08 am
Good point!

Tho while everything has a shelf life once put in a box, pizza prob has a longer window and does better delivered than, say, burgers and fries type food.

Still, there's just no substitute from kitchen to table. Missed that from my favorite spots.
When it's really just "Jesus Christ we've got to feed this horde," pizza from QT is surprisingly representative. And actually better reheated the next day (air fryer).
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jhawks99 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:05 am We did delivery. It was still warm enough when it got to us. I wasn't a fan of the crust, the sauce was non existent. I got pepperoni and mushroom. Had enough pepperoni on it, but very little (and very small) mushroom pieces.
At the big 3, all of the crusts gets shipped to the stores frozen, already formed.

A non-starter for me.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:12 am

Good point!

When it's really just "Jesus Christ we've got to feed this horde," pizza from QT is surprisingly representative. And actually better reheated the next day (air fryer).
Costco too.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:14 am
jfish26 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:12 am

Costco too.
Not nearly as convenient. And 50% of the time, it costs $350.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Didn't realize QT was that much cheaper.

I feel like we now need to introduce Little Caesar's('s?) hot wheels of garbage.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

After making pretty much all my pizza at home any more, I think even better than hand-tossed, is hand-kneaded.

Instead of tossing, lay the ball out on a flat surface and sprinkle a little flour on it. Then put in some elbow grease - push and press and knead it so it slowly gets the bubbles out and forms into a flat piece to put the fixins on.

It won’t yield as big a pizza in terms of diameter, (as big a pie in terms of pi?), but the result is a thicker, chewier, more deliciouser crust.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

The Kum and Go gas stations have serviceable pizza too, especially with the specials - 2-4-1 whole pie fridays, lunchtime 2 slices and a drink for $4, etc.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:10 am
I almost always pick up instead of deliver. The Doordashes of the world are so shitty to restaurants. Your food also takes a way more direct route back to your home.
And where I live, I can get to every restaurant I eat at in less than 20 minutes, most in less than 10 minutes, so picking up food is not a problem for me. But I don't order hot things that come on bread or buns such as burgers etc...for pick up because they get mushy no matter how short a time they are closed into a to-go container.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:17 am Didn't realize QT was that much cheaper.

I feel like we now need to introduce Little Caesar's('s?) hot wheels of garbage.
I wasn't calling the pizza expensive. There's just a high risk of going in for pizza, and walking out with like a TV.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

twocoach wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:03 am
Cascadia wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:45 am You’ve clearly never had good pizza
I just don't fuss over my pizza choices that much is all. I'll eat pizza from pretty much wherever. I've had some excellent ones but I don't have the mental energy to catalogue the best places in town to get it because I just don't care about it enough. Pizza Hut? Sounds good. The local place down the street that was named "Best Local Pizza of 2020"? Sounds good. Wherever.
You live in Omaha.

If you lived in a place that had truly great pizza you'd feel differently.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:17 am Didn't realize QT was that much cheaper.

Honestly, if you're doing it to save a buck, Little Caesars seems like the best option. Their pizza is comparable to the other three, which is to say mediocre at best, but they actually do sell it for cheaper.

Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

twocoach wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:22 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:10 am

And where I live, I can get to every restaurant I eat at in less than 20 minutes, most in less than 10 minutes, so picking up food is not a problem for me. But I don't order hot things that come on bread or buns such as burgers etc...for pick up because they get mushy no matter how short a time they are closed into a to-go container.
Fries are the worst inside containers.

Most of the good pizza in my city doesn't deliver and i don't fuck with uber eats or doordash, so it's always pick up.

Mexican food, chicken wings, and pizza do fine in a box for 10min or so.....other bar foods i would rather just have at the place or make at home.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:30 am
twocoach wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:03 am
Cascadia wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:45 am You’ve clearly never had good pizza
I just don't fuss over my pizza choices that much is all. I'll eat pizza from pretty much wherever. I've had some excellent ones but I don't have the mental energy to catalogue the best places in town to get it because I just don't care about it enough. Pizza Hut? Sounds good. The local place down the street that was named "Best Local Pizza of 2020"? Sounds good. Wherever.
You live in Omaha.

If you lived in a place that had truly great pizza you'd feel differently.
Maybe, who knows. My guess is that there are pickier pizza lovers in this city who would swear that there are truly great pizza places here. My New York friend had a favorite he swore was the best. My Chicago friend has a place he swore was the best. I ate at both with them; both were good. Whatever.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

yeah, what the fuck happens to fries?

Someone's gotta figure that out.

You need something that keeps them hot, but allow's moisture to escape.

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:28 am

I wasn't calling the pizza expensive. There's just a high risk of going in for pizza, and walking out with like a TV.
I consider it a badge of honor to get out of Costco spending under $100.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

The steam in a closed box will kill any fried food.
It's extremely rare that I order delivery. In this case Mrs 99 wanted pizza delivery so I caved.
Defense. Rebounds.