Conference Realignment..?

Kansas Football.
NewtonHawk11

Re: Conference Realignment..?

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

shindig wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:42 am So if the Big12 collapses and we get an invite to join the B1G, I'm guessing the B1G would "demand" we upgrade our football stadium immediately or within a time period, say 5 years. What's the word on the Memorial Stadium upgrade? Isn't it around $250M? Getting an invite to the B1G would have to kick start this project fast I would think.
I'm going to bounce back to this. Listened to the Jayhawk Slant podcast and Kirby mentioned that there was a conference that was highly interested in KU, but weren't impressed with facilities. Now they've build Rock Chalk Park, indoor facility and have announced a few plans to renovate Memorial. It's likely that conference was the Big 10, but still don't really know. But KU has improved their standing in that category.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
shindig

Post by shindig »

B1G or bust. ACC would be ok, but still prefer B1G, it just fits in with KU's geography and most schools would be easy to travel to for games.
shindig

Post by shindig »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:28 am
shindig wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:42 am So if the Big12 collapses and we get an invite to join the B1G, I'm guessing the B1G would "demand" we upgrade our football stadium immediately or within a time period, say 5 years. What's the word on the Memorial Stadium upgrade? Isn't it around $250M? Getting an invite to the B1G would have to kick start this project fast I would think.
I'm going to bounce back to this. Listened to the Jayhawk Slant podcast and Kirby mentioned that there was a conference that was highly interested in KU, but weren't impressed with facilities. Now they've build Rock Chalk Park, indoor facility and have announced a few plans to renovate Memorial. It's likely that conference was the Big 10, but still don't really know. But KU has improved their standing in that category.
Yeah, heard the same thing. This would definitely jump start renovations to Memorial stadium. Gotta get on the phone to Booth, Anschutz, etc and Plano to get money rolling in.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah.

Preference is definitely in order
Big - Location. Basketball would have some good challenges and football would be bottom dweller. But money and location would be beneficial.
ACC - Basketball would be great to watch. Football would be competitive in spurts.
Pac - Blah. But would win basketball easily and football would have competitive seasons.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

LVCHawk

Post by LVCHawk »

shindig wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:32 am
Yeah, heard the same thing. This would definitely jump start renovations to Memorial stadium. Gotta get on the phone to Booth, Anschutz, etc and Plano to get money rolling in.
I wonder if they could play in Arrowhead for a year or 2 until renovations were done.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Probably could do that or Sporting Park.

This is exciting for KU!

shindig

Post by shindig »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:38 am Probably could do that or Sporting Park.

This is exciting for KU!
Yeah, I'm not sure how extensive the renovations are planned for the stadium. When the Chiefs spent $500m renovating Arrowhead, they continued to play games in the stadium. Most of the work was expanding the concourses, upgrading restrooms, closing in the concourse and I'm sure a lot of structural repairs.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

It'd take some creative scheduling for arrowhead, right? They wouldn't want games being played the day before Chiefs games i am assuming.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Yeah, it'd be Children's Mercy Park.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

KC Phogushers!
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

My BS meter is going off a bit here. Why would a conference really care about facilities?

Seems like a leak from someone with a vested interest in getting some $$ momentum behind facilities.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:57 amKC Phogushers!
I would think you'd find CMP vastly preferable to Arrowhead if we needed a temporary home.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

Texas annually puts nearly 100,000 fans in the seats for home football games, a top 10 program in terms of attendance. Oklahoma is mid-80,000s, a top 15 attendance program. After that, no Big 12 school has averaged 60,000 fans per home game from 2017-19. Iowa State, West Virginia, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State all have been in the mid-to-high 50,000s; Kansas State, Baylor and TCU are the next tier; and Kansas is its own mud flat of apathy.

The only other blueblood revenue program in the conference is Kansas men’s basketball, and that comes with two problems attached: it is a compliance tire fire at the moment, deep into a major NCAA infractions case; as we learned very clearly a decade ago, basketball really doesn’t matter. Football matters, and Kansas is the worst Power 5 football program in the country—and has its own compliance issues.

I would watch ND very closely and hope they do not go to B10

SEC Texas and OU

Big 10 ND and ISU

ACC WVA and UCF

PAC 12 Baylor TCU TTECH and OSU

Mountain West KU KSTATE

Being the worst Power 5 football program can lead to some hard no's
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

shindig wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:32 am
lol

go get that boat money
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

shindig wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:47 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:38 am Probably could do that or Sporting Park.

This is exciting for KU!
Yeah, I'm not sure how extensive the renovations are planned for the stadium. When the Chiefs spent $500m renovating Arrowhead, they continued to play games in the stadium. Most of the work was expanding the concourses, upgrading restrooms, closing in the concourse and I'm sure a lot of structural repairs.
I was in Minneapolis when the Gophers' stadium was finished and then the Vikings' roof collapsed, accelerating a construction need.

The Gophs did it right - they purposely underbuilt the stadium, because they knew when the Vikings would inevitably come calling, the Vikings would need to put in a ton of stuff to make the stadium NFL-ready.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

hartjack8 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:01 am Texas annually puts nearly 100,000 fans in the seats for home football games, a top 10 program in terms of attendance. Oklahoma is mid-80,000s, a top 15 attendance program. After that, no Big 12 school has averaged 60,000 fans per home game from 2017-19. Iowa State, West Virginia, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State all have been in the mid-to-high 50,000s; Kansas State, Baylor and TCU are the next tier; and Kansas is its own mud flat of apathy.

The only other blueblood revenue program in the conference is Kansas men’s basketball, and that comes with two problems attached: it is a compliance tire fire at the moment, deep into a major NCAA infractions case; as we learned very clearly a decade ago, basketball really doesn’t matter. Football matters, and Kansas is the worst Power 5 football program in the country—and has its own compliance issues.

SEC Texas and OU

Big 10 ND and ISU

ACC WVA and UCF

Mountain West KU KSTATE

FOH with that. The KC market is a good one. It's a big college sports town as well as a sports town in general. KU is the program in KC.

Get your pessimistic self outta here. It's exciting for KU. Looking at getting to a conference with better footing than the Big 12 in less than a few years.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:00 am
My BS meter is going off a bit here. Why would a conference really care about facilities?

Seems like a leak from someone with a vested interest in getting some $$ momentum behind facilities.
My not be wrong. But I do think conferences do care a bit. Want plenty of seats, revenue and filled atmosphere that can host a decent amount of visiting fans as well.

Deleted User 863

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:05 am
hartjack8 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:01 am Texas annually puts nearly 100,000 fans in the seats for home football games, a top 10 program in terms of attendance. Oklahoma is mid-80,000s, a top 15 attendance program. After that, no Big 12 school has averaged 60,000 fans per home game from 2017-19. Iowa State, West Virginia, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State all have been in the mid-to-high 50,000s; Kansas State, Baylor and TCU are the next tier; and Kansas is its own mud flat of apathy.

SEC Texas and OU

Big 10 ND and ISU

ACC WVA and UCF

Mountain West KU KSTATE

FOH with that. The KC market is a good one. It's a big college sports town as well as a sports town in general. KU is the program in KC.

Get your pessimistic self outta here. It's exciting for KU. Looking at getting to a conference with better footing than the Big 12 in less than a few years.
How big of a role does the KC market really play in something like this? Big 10 already has Chicago and Indy (and others).
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:05 am

SEC Texas and OU

Big 10 ND and ISU

ACC WVA and UCF

Mountain West KU KSTATE

yeah, i don’t see any way KU is left in the outside looking in...even if we have to “settle” for the ACC
Deleted User 863

Are we assuming there are going to be 4 large conferences?