NFL Offseason 2022

Kansas Football.
hartjack8
Contributor

Re: NFL Offseason 2022

Post by hartjack8 »

Not sure you are looking at this correct. Drew Lock is not going to get you anywhere.

So Russell Wilson or nowhere. Those are your choices. It's a no brainer.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

hartjack8 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:46 pm Not sure you are looking at this correct. Drew Lock is not going to get you anywhere.

But that's not quite right.

Drafting and developing is a choice. Staying bad and getting a quarterback top-5 is a choice. Keeping your draft capital and cap powder dry and waiting for someone else to get itchy (what if things get sour with Lamar/Baltimore, or Kyler/Arizona, etc.?) is a choice. Seeing what Jordan Love or Mitch Trubisky is are choices.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

When I brought up the Rams and Stafford it was the same thing. Goff was not going to get you there.

So you get someone that might. Not saying Wilson and Denver winning the super bowl but if I was a Denver fan I would be ecstatic. The future is much brighter with Wilson then Lock.

The NFL is becoming more and more a QB centric league. If you don't have a QB that can get you there you aren't going to get there.

The Rams have been using Draft capital like they playing in the NBA . They got no picks they don't care.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:56 pm
hartjack8 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:46 pm Not sure you are looking at this correct. Drew Lock is not going to get you anywhere.

Drafting and developing is a choice. Staying bad and getting a quarterback top-5 is a choice. Keeping your draft capital and cap powder dry and waiting for someone else to get itchy (what if things get sour with Lamar/Baltimore, or Kyler/Arizona, etc.?) is a choice. Seeing what Jordan Love or Mitch Trubisky is are choices.
Not right for who? Denver? Denver made this deal because they have not had a QB in forever.
How many times has Denver wasted Draft Capital since Manning trying to get a QB?
What have they gotten out of that?
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

You can go the Drafting and developing. Who do you think this year you going to draft and develop?

So the Lions had two teams really after Stafford. The Rams and the 49ers. The Rams won and they win super bowl. The 49ers lost and they trade up for Lance. Who has the better future? I would say the 49ers as long as Lance develops into a above average NFL starter
Last edited by hartjack8 on Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

hartjack8 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:02 pm

Not right for who? Denver? Denver made this deal because they have not had a QB in forever.
How many times has Denver wasted Draft Capital since Manning trying to get a QB?
It's not right to say the choices were Russell Wilson or nowhere. That's not the medium- or long-term case, and it's really not even the case in the short-term.

They're undoubtedly better with Wilson than they would have been in 2022 with anyone else that is known to be available. But I don't think Wilson is the guy (or contract) you spend the picks on and roll the dice with. Not in a conference that is going to be this loaded for this long.

I don't think it's an awful move or anything like that. I just don't think it's likely to have the result they're hoping for.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I thought Denver was a few picks from contending this year. They gave up a lot for sure. It isn't like they were picking last. Their defense will fall off a little and they really need help on the OL. Wilson probably has one more year of decent escapability. His size has always made him a scrambler. The Broncs seem to have rolled the dice. I think they panicked and gave up too much for post prime Russ.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:09 pm
hartjack8 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:02 pm

It's not right to say the choices were Russell Wilson or nowhere. That's not the medium- or long-term case, and it's really not even the case in the short-term.

They're undoubtedly better with Wilson than they would have been in 2022 with anyone else that is known to be available. But I don't think Wilson is the guy (or contract) you spend the picks on and roll the dice with. Not in a conference that is going to be this loaded for this long.

I don't think it's an awful move or anything like that. I just don't think it's likely to have the result they're hoping for.
You can only look at this from the Denver perspective. Would they rather had Rodgers? Yes
Once that went away this was the best move for them to have a QB in 2022.
Denver just got new GM and They are going to sell the TEAM. So Denver wants a QB.
So you name one QB who they can get and is better than Wilson.
It was a no brainer move for DENVER
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I think it is a move consistent with Denver's policies for the past seven years or so.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

Sparko wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:20 pm I thought Denver was a few picks from contending this year. They gave up a lot for sure. It isn't like they were picking last. Their defense will fall off a little and they really need help on the OL. Wilson probably has one more year of decent escapability. His size has always made him a scrambler. The Broncs seem to have rolled the dice. I think they panicked and gave up too much for post prime Russ.
Denver's OL is better than Seattle's. How many games you think Seattle is winning with Lock.
How many games did Goff win in Detroit? Did Denver give up a lot sure. Was anything they give up going to get them a starting QB next year? Yes all of what they gave up got them Russell Wilson and they now have a QB.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Can’t wait for 2024. Denver will have gone 18-16 and 0-1 in the playoffs while Seattle will be building another contender.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Khalil Mack about to be traded from Bears to Chargers.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:48 pm Khalil Mack about to be traded from Bears to Chargers.
Well I don't like that one bit.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Sparko wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:20 pm I thought Denver was a few picks from contending this year. They gave up a lot for sure. It isn't like they were picking last. Their defense will fall off a little and they really need help on the OL. Wilson probably has one more year of decent escapability. His size has always made him a scrambler. The Broncs seem to have rolled the dice. I think they panicked and gave up too much for post prime Russ.
Denver finished as close to the record of the Jets and Texans as they did to the record needed to earn the last playoff spot.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

twocoach wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:02 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:48 pm Khalil Mack about to be traded from Bears to Chargers.
Well I don't like that one bit.
Nor do I.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The chargers are cursed. Mack will regret this.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

AFC West teams have won both those big trades.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

“Denver is still behind

KC
Buffalo
Cincinnati
Baltimore
Tennessee
New England

Probably behind LA Chargers”

With Wilson I think they can leap Tennessee, New England. Neck and neck with Chargers.
Certainly better than Houston with Watson, Pitt and Indy with whatever QBs they got going.

They have young core talent, a decent defense and a top 10 RB.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

pdub wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:42 am AFC West teams have won both those big trades.
I agree. Today.
I think we need to readdress them in 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 seasons.
Meanwhile, I'm a guy who says let's deal with today today and worry about tomorrow tomorrow so again, I agree both AFC teams "won" the trades. No doubt they made their teams better - today.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Denver has 5th best odds to win Super Bowl, same as the Rams.

Seems a little high, but kind of shows that this board is underselling how good of a move this was for Denver and how good they can be. Might be chiefs bias.