FUCK ESPN

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 863

Re: FUCK ESPN

Post by Deleted User 863 »

I don't think it is really about the game being unwatchable for some people. It's about people not liking that K got "special treatment" for his final Duke home game.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:49 am I don't think it is really about the game being unwatchable for some people. It's about people not liking that K got "special treatment" for his final Duke home game.
But it's both together, right? The issue is that the K-blowing special coverage very much intruded upon winning time in our game.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

that doesn’t fit his child-like narrative

complex ideas are too much
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Qusdahl

Post by Qusdahl »

I do think it was special treatment for K.

If the games were reversed, and K’s big retirement party went to OT, I dunno if they would have afforded the start of our game much coverage at all, let alone an extended split screen
“Qusdahl ISNT wrong.” - PDub 1/28

“I dont dislike you, even as wildly flailing and uninformed as your theories are” - TDub 2/5
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Qusdahl wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:27 am I do think it was special treatment for K.

If the games were reversed, and K’s big retirement party went to OT, I dunno if they would have afforded the start of our game much coverage at all, let alone an extended split screen
We know what would have happened, because we see it almost every game. They would have held our game for a few minutes, and then started it on ESPNews. A box or banner on the screen would so indicate.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

NDballer13 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:56 am Are a lot of you still watching on 13" black and white TVs? I'd be willing to bet my 50" would be considered on the small side of TVs for a lot of people on this board, yet I didn't have any issue still seeing the game action. I, of course, didn't bother watching the other side of the split screen and focus on the game itself. If you know what they were showing for the K party, but couldn't see the game, where your eyes were focused might be the issue.
Do you always like paying for a product and then getting 25% of what you paid for and just liking it?

If you went to McD's and ordered a double quarter pounder with cheese, and they gave you a regular cheeseburger you'd just take it without complaint and be happy about it cause, you still got a burger.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:54 am
NDballer13 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:56 am Are a lot of you still watching on 13" black and white TVs? I'd be willing to bet my 50" would be considered on the small side of TVs for a lot of people on this board, yet I didn't have any issue still seeing the game action. I, of course, didn't bother watching the other side of the split screen and focus on the game itself. If you know what they were showing for the K party, but couldn't see the game, where your eyes were focused might be the issue.
Do you always like paying for a product and then getting 25% of what you paid for and just liking it?
Except I got 100% of the product I paid for. I just chose to watch the screen with the KU game and didn't bother to look over at the other one. It was a minor inconvenience, sure, but it didn't prevent me from watching the game whatsoever.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Keep telling yourself that and enjoy your tiny cheeseburger. If someone tells me their airing the game, I expect it to be full screen and in its entirety. Especially when that is what's provided to all games already in play the rest of the time.

I hope you don't take this approach with all things. You're likely getting fucked over constantly. You sound like a cuck..."as long as my girl loves me she can fuck whoever she wants". If that's how you live your life go for it. The rest of us expect more.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NDballer13 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:59 am
Except I got 100% of the product I paid for. I just chose to watch the screen with the KU game and didn't bother to look over at the other one. It was a minor inconvenience, sure, but it didn't prevent me from watching the game whatsoever.
Well if you are going to defend illy, then you're going to get called out for a straw man argument. It's not that it was completely preventing someone from watching our game, but it certainly hindered and detracted the viewing, not to mention it was obnoxious as shit.

By that logic, if you can just choose to watch the quarter of the screen you want to and not look at the other, why not just have 2, 3, 4 games on for the entire time? Why not go to a movie theater and have the movie you paid for in a little box? Just choose to watch that one.
Deleted User 863

jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:05 am the K-blowing special coverage very much intruded upon winning time in our game.
No it didn't (imo obviously). Unless your TV is really small.

Espn made a judgement call that more people were tuning in for the K blowing than for the texas KU game. Hate him or not Ks last home game was a historic moment. Tickets were 5k+ for a reason. Lots of BWW chads out there and it's March so they are CBB fans (experts in their minds) for the next 4 weeks.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Again, the egregiousness here is the amount of time. Split screen during free throws, annoying, but whatever. This was probably close to 10 real minutes of important game time.

Also, the size of the split screen--it did not have to be 50/50, the entire thing was on ESPN2. A video of K standing in a building got 1.5 channels. It was like the damn State of the Union.
Deleted User 863

Qusdahl wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:27 am I do think it was special treatment for K.

Of course they wouldn't.

You seriously can't grasp why the K retirement stuff was viewed as something special that deserved unique coverage?
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:04 am
NDballer13 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:59 am
Well if you are going to defend illy, then you're going to get called out for a straw man argument. It's not that it was completely preventing someone from watching our game, but it certainly hindered and detracted the viewing, not to mention it was obnoxious as shit.

By that logic, if you can just choose to watch the quarter of the screen you want to and not look at the other, why not just have 2, 3, 4 games on for the entire time? Why not go to a movie theater and have the movie you paid for in a little box? Just choose to watch that one.
That's exactly how I watch games when KU isn't playing, actually. Probably why it didn't bother me as much as it appears to have bothered others.

The game was still on. The announcers were still talking about the game. In the end, I had what I wanted.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

so much melting down
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:08 am Again, the egregiousness here is the amount of time. Split screen during free throws, annoying, but whatever. This was probably close to 10 real minutes of important game time.

Also, the size of the split screen--it did not have to be 50/50, the entire thing was on ESPN2. A video of K standing in a building got 1.5 channels. It was like the damn State of the Union.
More people cared about the K coverage than the Texas game.

This isn't hard.
Deleted User 863

KUTradition wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:11 am so much melting down
I know right.

Kansas gets covered by ESPN as good as just about anyone. 1 historic moment gets split screened and total meltdown.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:06 amEspn made a judgement call that more people were tuning in for the K blowing than for the texas KU game.
This doesn't make any sense. What are you trying to say? If that judgment call was correct, then those viewers direct their TV to ESPN1 at 6 Eastern regardless.

Sure, have a program alert, or even a little box of video in the top right corner like they have for other game. If they expected a bunch of new people tuning in right at 6 Eastern, which it appears they did, then direct them elsewhere, which they wanted to do and were trying to do.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:12 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:08 am Again, the egregiousness here is the amount of time. Split screen during free throws, annoying, but whatever. This was probably close to 10 real minutes of important game time.

More people cared about the K coverage than the Texas game.

This isn't hard.
Just because that is true (which, it barely is, check out tv ratings for cbb), it doesn't mean what they did made any sense or wasn't annoying.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:04 am Keep telling yourself that and enjoy your tiny cheeseburger. If someone tells me their airing the game, I expect it to be full screen and in its entirety. Especially when that is what's provided to all games already in play the rest of the time.

I hope you don't take this approach with all things. You're likely getting fucked over constantly. You sound like a cuck..."as long as my girl loves me she can fuck whoever she wants". If that's how you live your life go for it. The rest of us expect more.
Kind of like when they tell you they will be airing a certain event at a certain time? By that logic, the people tuning in to see the K ceremony could bitch that the KU game shouldn't have even been shown. At 6PM EST, ESPN should have gone full screen to the K ceremony. That's what they told everyone they were going to be airing at that time.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

So, in the best possible light for ESPNDilly, ESPN knew beforehand that it would show all of the K's pregame bullshit because of some mythical ratings bonanza, meaning they still fucked it up by not better staggering the games.